Penghu in November

I am taking my parents to Penghu this upcoming November and I could well spend 3-5 days out there. The idea would be to rent a car there and fly from Taipei.

If you have 3-5 days, what would you show then? In November, would Qumei or Wangan be accessible as day trips from Magong - and would there be anything to see that time of year.

When it comes to staying in Taiwan, OK, my mum has been here a mere 5 times, my dad 4 times, and we have been to Taroko a few times.

I was just there last weekend. I took the boat, once I was in Penghu the weather was nice, mostly sunny, but when riding around in a motorcycle the wind was like someone slapping your face. The boat rides between each Penghu islands and on the way back to Taiwan were fine, the sea was calm, and the biggest threat was sun burn.

However, on the way there the weather was not as pleasant, no sun, windy, and the ocean turned pretty nasty pretty quickly. Sometimes I could see the surface of the sea through the window from where I was sitting, which means the boat had to be at least leaning 30 degrees or more. People were throwing up. I went to the deck in the back of the boat, and at times both my feet left the deck. I imagine that’s more like what one can expect during winter.

Most water activities (banana boat, jet skiing) stopped around October.

Driving around Makong is not an issue. If it is sunny, it can still be really pretty, but I wonder about that wind… Especially when you go to Qimei, I am not sure if they rent cars in Qimei… Don’t know about October, but deeper into the winter, many boats stops sailing to Qimei. But boats still go to Wangan, Hujing and Tongpan.

according to these websites, the weather is actually still pretty nice in October. And there are a lot of activities one still can do in October. Especially squid fishing, and going to the Ocean farm are still available. Also, it would be crab season.

This person went during winter, he posted photos of the ocean view, still looks nice.
brezel.pixnet.net/blog/post/2260 … E6%9C%89….

Sites suggesting activities
phsea.com.tw/travel/index.ph … 5%E7%B7%9A
tw.myblog.yahoo.com/penhou092255 … le?mid=202
an-i.com.tw/modules/tadnews/index.php?nsn=30

Don’t know where your parents have been to. But if you stay on the island, why not try mountain areas with hotsprings? Say Taipingshan (太平山) or something… or go down south. It’s still pretty warm in Tainan/Kaohsiung/Kenting/Taitung.

I strongly advise skipping Penghu in November. The wind is intolerable. Anything by boat will be problematic. Stay with the East Coast or Chiayi/Nanyou where the weather is beautiful this time of year. Dulan would be perfect–wide choice of places to stay, beaches, mountains, some entertainment, some decent food.

Well, how about Jinmen then? We are scandinavians, we do not mind the wind. We do not mind the lack of tourists, we went to Lanyu last time, and they had one decent restaurant open - and my parents refuse to come earlier than November.

I don’t know about Jinmen. I had heard from Taiwanese about the wind in Penghu and dismissed it. But I went in early October a few years ago and it really was intolerable to be outside in. It blows hard and constantly.

Wind, wind and more wind. If you like windsurfing; by all means go. I’m headed there at month end just for that. If not, there are many better places.

You may not mind the wind but if the boats aren’t running you’ll be stuck on one island, and although there are a few indoor things to do, there isn’t enough to sustain you for more than one or two days. Even when we were there in June some boats didn’t run because the sea was too rough. I’d give it a miss if November is your only option, honestly. Penghu closes down over winter.

It would be hit or miss with Penghu in November, the wind can be ridiculous and if you got hit with bad weather well…

Penghu is a great place to visit but just risky outside the peak tourist season. I have visited in Springtime and it was glorious but also freezing and yes nothing much was open.

When my folks visited their favourite place we stayed was shanshui beach in Penghu but it was early Summer.

For Winter I second Nantou/Jiayi/Tainan. I suggest Tainan in terms of Anping which is nice to walk around in particular in the mild and sunny weather. You could also think about a hotspring layover in Taian (great outdoor springs) or Guanziling (mud springs). You could stop off at tea farms and suspension bridges etc in Nantou and Chiayi and do a bit of easy hiking depending on circumstances.