Pensions for permanent residents

So I get that, that it makes life for the employer easier. But, I doubt most on this forum are employers hence I looked at it from the perspective of the employee and if he/she will benefit. But, I still fail to see how this makes it any more fair or increases your compensation in the long term.

Prior to change

Employee A gets 100k as salary
Employee B gets 94k salary 6k pension

After change

Employee A gets 100k salary 6k pension

How is more fair now after the change ?

The above will probably be corrected over a time span of a few years when employee B is getting pay raises, but employee A will not

The thing is that in most cases prior to change

Employee A gets 100k as salary
Employee B gets 100k salary 6k pension

The change will only serve to correct this difference

3 Likes

Or

The thing is that in most cases prior to change
Employee A gets 94k as salary

1 Like

In that case, it should be 5.64k (6% of 94k) pension

1 Like

How is the pension invested?

And that is why many were fired, their contract written hours changed, subcontracted, etc. Lots of ways laobans can get out of this rise. The eeconomy is bad! This is Tsai’s fault! Just like enforced vacations, Not much authorities can do without repercussions…in the vote department. Dammed if you, dammed if you don’t.

I fear for my job. Honestly, we are such a high cost employee in their eyes. Subcontractors are much cheaper, who cares about quality, we make mistakes too, look at this word misspelled… sigh…

I personally don’t work in the local economy, but my impression is not that the economy is bad for locals. Super many vacancies and you can be picky about what job you accept. The official statistics also show unemployment is super low.

What field are you working in? Perhaps it’s just your field that sucks, and not the economy in general

I was being sarcastic about the economy. Just parroting what «everyone» says, since it is the motto of the media, ending in «only China can save us».

Actually, it is not that bad. It is just some sold out laobans who do not play by the rules and want the rules taken away so they can be like rich CCP officials/CEOs. They do miss the good old days of the 80s, mistakenly blaming economic boom to the dictatorship.

My field is politically sensitive, which is why I fear we furriners would make a lovely sacrificial lamb.

Oh yeah. :banana:

Non-residents may face national pension restrictions

2019/05/06 19:38:u5408:

Taipei, May 6 (CNA) Taiwan is mulling restrictions that would stop Taiwanese citizens who live abroad from being able to collect a national pension after registering for benefits only a year or two before reaching the age of 65.

From 2008 to 2016, there were 4,508 expatriates who registered their households in Taiwan at the age of 63 or 64 and began collecting a pension at 65, according to government statistics.

The 4,508 beneficiaries represented less than 1 percent of the 790,000 people receiving a pension under the system, but their payouts, which range from NT$3,000 to NT$3,800 a month, still cost the national pension insurance system about NT$200 million in 2016.

Shang Tung-Fu (商東福), the head of the Department of Social Insurance under the Ministry of Health and Welfare, said some believe the arrangement is unfair to citizens who have paid premiums into the system since it was launched in 2008, and changes may be in the works.

The government, he said, is mulling certain restrictions on expatriates who are entitled to receive a monthly pension despite having enrolled in the program for only a year or two.

Lawmakers have also proposed revisions to the program that would require expatriates to have stayed in Taiwan for no less than 183 days a year for the past three years to be eligible for benefits, Shang said.

Revisions will not likely be made, however, until a social consensus on the issue has been forged, he argued.

May not happen soon but at least they saw the light.

2 Likes

Employed and LSA applicable foreigners on APRC should choose new or old pension by November. Not only foreign special professionals.

(四)、依照108年5月17日修正生效之勞工退休金條例第7條第1項、第8條之1規定,受僱且適用勞基法之永久居留之外籍人士,已納入強制提繳對象。
1.修法生效前已受僱且修法生效後仍服務於同一事業單位者,若修法生效時已係永久居留者身分,自修法生效日(108年5月17日)起為強制提繳對象;若修法生效後始取得永久居留者身分,自取得永久居留之日起為強制提繳對象,前述人員如欲繼續適用勞動基準法之退休金規定(勞退舊制)者,其應於施行之日起6個月內(即108年11月16日前)或取得永久居留6個月內,以書面向單位表明,一旦選擇繼續適用勞退舊制,不得再變更選擇適用勞退新制,屆期未選擇者,一律適用新制。

https://www.bli.gov.tw/en/0014609.html

The targets of compulsory contribution are the Taiwanese citizens; foreign spouses; spouses from mainland, Hong Kong, or Macau; and permanent resident foreigners which apply to Labor Standards Act. However, for the labor who has allocated retirement reserve according to Private School Act, this regulation is not applicable.

3 Likes

Did anyone find out anything about private schools? I read the whole thread but didn’t see a definitive Answer. I have read most of the threads on pensions.
I’m married to an ROC citizen and I also have my APRC and work at a private school.

From what I’ve learned, there is separate legislation called the Private schools act which makes teachers not covered by the labour legislation.
http://edu.law.moe.gov.tw/EngLawContent.aspx?Type=E&id=77
My school’s HR and their lawyers informed me that they didn’t need to pay it. Apparently only teachers who are have a teaching certificate from the ROC qualify, or if you have any management duties.

I called the ministry of labour and they indeed told me that I was not covered. Apparently the pension issue is dealt with at a municipal level. To legally inquire, I was told that I would have to go to the local city hall and file a report. They told me my school would be informed and my name would be revealed to them…

I’ve heard similar things from a few others…
But the ROC teachers get the pension at my school which makes me confused. I thought an APRC makes me just like them for labor matters.

In conclusion, I’ve been told many times that I make a lot of money so I should just invest my own money.
I’ve also been told that unless I retire here I won’t get it so its basically throwing away the school’s money.
Any info would be helpful

1 Like

“I’ve been told many times that I make a lot of money so I should just invest my own money.”

This is such a bullshit Taiwanese response. It falls under the “meiguanxi” and “chabuduo” category of “we don’t give a fuck”.

3 Likes

Article 39 of
Act Governing the Retirement, Bereavement Compensation, Discharge with Severance Pay Benefits for the Teaching and Other Staff of School Legal Persons and their Respective Private School(s)
says as follows:

Article 39
The provisions of this Act apply, mutatis mutandis, to the handling of the retirement, severance, resignation, and bereavement compensation payments of full-time, qualified, paid personnel in the categories listed below employed within the establishment staffing of a private school:
1,2,3 univ. or college
4.Foreign nationals holding a full-time post within the establishment staffing of a registered private school at any level as a qualified, paid teacher or in a capacity listed in any of the preceding three subparagraphs.

Related article in Mandarin

1 Like

Is the employer required to pay 6% of this? Or can they pass it on to the employee and deduct it from his salary?

https://www.bli.gov.tw/en/0014585.html

Whether it is against the law if the employer deducts the 6% contribution of labor pension from my wages? And what should I do to protect my rights?

It is against the Labor Pension Act

4 Likes

I don’t know the answer to this question, but this being Taiwan, it’s not unreasonable to encounter bosses who are legally required to pay certain fees who then try and get their employees to pay for them instead.

One example is my boss who tells his new foreign employees that he is not required to offer health insurance. But, if they want, he’ll get it for them and they need to pay the “entire” amount. In other words, he wants them to pay his portion of the fee.

I got around it by politely offering to go the the NIH myself for the health insurance. They manager panicked and told me not to go. Within a week I had my card and he was paying his portion.

Slime bags.

7 Likes

As discussed earlier:

Hi, can someone please help me out out, this thread is quite confusing.

I’m married to a Taiwanese national, and have lived in Taiwan on a JFRV ARC since 2012. From 2012 to 2016, I taught English at a cram school. From 2016 until now I have worked in a white collar non-teaching office job.
At no point from 2012 until now did either of my employers mention pension contributions, switching systems, or asked me if I want to voluntarily contribute 6% of wages to a pension. Nothing about pension has ever appeared on any wage slips.

Questions:

1. While teaching English in a cram school (2012-2016), was my employer legally obliged to enroll me in
    a pension scheme and contribute to it monthly?
  2. While working in my current office job (2016-now), was my employer legally obliged to enroll me in a pension scheme and contribute to it monthly?
  3. If the answer is yes to either of the above and my employers didn’t enroll me, what can I do about it?

Many many thanks in advance.

1 Like

You will find most of info you need to know here.

https://www.bli.gov.tw/en/0010363.html

You may be subject of the labor pension since Jan. 17, 2014.

1 Like

u/Darkesontr

Go to the labor office & they can search what payments have been made on your behalf.

You’ll need your APRC for recent payments. and old passport numbers for payments made during your ARC days.

If your employer didn’t pay over the years unfortunately there’s nothing u can do about it.

1 Like