Perceptions of American Born Taiwanese on Taiwan?

So I’ve been reading up topics on this forum about how local women are as easy as shooting pork in a barrel for foreigners. I’m gonna assume we’re talking about the white ones. What about for someone of a Taiwanese background who was born or grew up somewhere in the West? What’s the perception of people like me, and how may that affect dating/getting laid around here? Surely chicks would treat the token white dude differently than the Asian dude who thinks he’s “American”
lol.

And how do forumers here feel about the ABC’s running around during summer break, and any experiences? Real curious.

Some background on moi. Twenty, speaks decent Mandarin and basic conversational Taiwanese. Relatively westernized minus music taste, of which seventy percent isn’t in English. From Texas. Parents moved to US to spread the local Yiguandao faith… I’ve become apathetic to things spiritual to their horror lol.

Feel free to leave things I should know about local women… If they’re a different breed from Americanized Asian girls/American women in general.

More than half of my friends are Taiwanese who studied or grew up abroad (mostly in South Africa of all places) – I am not at all Taiwanese myself – so I guess I have a very accepting opinion of ABC-type people, although I think they’re more Taiwanese than South African, and we hang out and communicate exclusively in Chinese.

I think local attitudes toward ABCs range greatly, but the following adjectives come to mind for better or for worse: Rich, arrogant, poor Chinese, good English (but not as good as a white person’s), highly educated, ignorant of their own cultural background (i.e. Taiwanese), sophisticated, critical, stylish, condescending, one of us, one of them.

I listed as many negatives as positives, and it’s really up to the impression you give people that determines which side of the balance you’re on. If you speak Chinese without an American accent or with a very minimal one, chances are a lot of people won’t even know your ABC until you tell them. In that case, you get to decide whether they take it positively or negatively.

Hope this totally unscientific survey from a gweilao helps you out.

My cousin has actually told me that in Taiwanese culture (idk about the accuracy of the statement as I didn’t grow up in Taiwan) ABC’s are looked up on and almost worshipped… the exact term he used was 崇拜(chongbai). And that we’re rich too (we’re rather middle class really). But yeah, I get the vibe from locals that they think those goddamn “bananas” run around like they own the place, disregarding local cultural norms, and they have forgotten their roots (people migrate, languages change, ethnicities and nations rise and fall, we were all from Africa way back then, so who gives a rat’s ass? My own humble viewpoint).

I’m all for adapting to the local cultural norms if they help me succeed and maximize my potential in that particular area. So that would probably mean more of the building guanxi, being mindful of not losing face for yourself and those you work with in Taiwan, but then making sure your opinion is heard and being a whole lot more outgoing in the U.S., since that’s how things work here if you want to get far. I don’t want to be part of the “yellow mob” in America, members of whom do not speak up often in meetings, are focused on getting good grades, then a stable job, and just not really doing a whole lot to change the game around them but rather contently being a part of the machine. Such is the trap many Asian American children fall into as a result of their parents’ upbringing, which is designed to work well in an Oriental country, to conform.

that’s was true in maybe the early 90s.

If I had a dollar for every time a similar thread like this pops up.

HWW pretty much covers it. I’ve met people that are exactly how HWW describes. Glad to not be acquainted with any of them. I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be able to live with myself if I had to hang around people that uses the term “one of us” and “one of them”. I some times feel bad for the ABC’s that have poor Chinese and “good” English. Two of the most spoken languages in the world, they had all the exposure growing up, but still decided that Chinese would be useless going into the future.