Permanent A.R.C. thingies?

Well I was under the impression that I was eligible for a permanent A.R.C. or whatever they are called, but according to info my wife received when she asked about it I don’t qualify because I don’t have tax receipts over five years and I don’t have five million in my bank account (although it could be arranged).
Can anyone give me an appropriate link for information regarding this matter. I thought there was a step by step somewhere, but I only found the work related one. I am of course hoping to apply for a marriage based application. We have been married for over five years. My A.R.C. is due for extension the end of March.

AFAIK you don’t need NT$5 mil in the bank, but they will need tax returns (to make sure you are able to provide for yourself etc…).
And you are eligible for the Family visa (JFRV - Joining Family Residence Visa) aka marriage visa from the day you are married. Sadly, it is also only valid for as long as the marriage lasts (including the death of a spouse).

Here is more information:
iff.immigration.gov.tw/enfront/homefolk.php

immigration.gov.tw//immig_en … /main4.asp

I went down to the tax office and managed to convince them that I had enough earnings to enable them to tax me a bit.

No biggie, however I run my own company. That said, I did know that I was going for a PARC, so I watched out before the fact.

Note that if you file jointly with your wife, her income counts as yours for PARC purposes.

iff.immigration.gov.tw/enfront/l … d=2&id=283

Two things I noted on there:

10,000 fee? :astonished:

7 years continuous residency? I thought that had been changed to 5? :ponder:

Yup, but considering the fact that it never needs to be renewed and there are no further charges (exit/entry permits, etc), it’s a decent value if you plan to reside here permanently.

I assume that the 5/7 year thing is just a matter of the website not having updated that document yet, since a number of other posters here have stated that it’s been amended to 5.

[quote=“citizen k”]Yup, but considering the fact that it never needs to be renewed and there are no further charges (exit/entry permits, etc), it’s a decent value if you plan to reside here permanently.

I assume that the 5/7 year thing is just a matter of the website not having updated that document yet, since a number of other posters here have stated that it’s been amended to 5.[/quote]

Indeed it has. You can check with your local FAP, or NIA office. The guys in Tainan were quite helpful and seemed to be very knowledgeable on the recent changes.

[quote=“Josefus”]

Two things I noted on there:

10,000 fee? :astonished:

7 years continuous residency? I thought that had been changed to 5? :ponder:[/quote]

I’m up for mine in July so trying to get a grasp as well. The FBI check seems to be a pain in the neck.

I have tax receipts for all my time in Taiwan, but did have a period where I overstayed because my company effed things up a little bit. My residence permit expired before my work permit so had to pay a 2k fine.

Has anyone ever been denied an PARC for reason’s like that? I’m just curious as to which criteria they will stand firm, and which they will let slide. A friend said that recently went through the process said that it all depends on the immigration agent that you get. :neutral:

Edit: What about “Certificate for liquid and real estate assets: The combined liquid and real estate assets must exceed NT$5 million”? I will have been here for 5 years, but don’t qualify according to those financial requirements. Will they really need me to come up with a document that shows these figures?

[quote=“rocky raccoon”] I have tax receipts for all my time in Taiwan, but did have a period where I overstayed because my company effed things up a little bit. My residence permit expired before my work permit so had to pay a 2k fine.

Has anyone ever been denied an PARC for reason’s like that? I’m just curious as to which criteria they will stand firm, and which they will let slide. A friend said that recently went through the process said that it all depends on the immigration agent that you get. :neutral:[/quote]

Yes, a good friend was denied for having overstayed something like 2 days; unfortunately, it’s considered a break in your residency. The tax receipt thing is not a big deal, since you actually have to go to the tax office and have them print up a current (3 months or less) record of your accounts for the years you are applying with. What the NIA encourages all prospective applicants to do is to arrange a meeting with an agent to verify that you qualify for application. They’ll be able to tell you then if it is possible for you to apply and whether to proceed with gathering the necessary documents.

This is only an issue if you are making your application based on financial assets, rather than work history.

The Permanent ARC card’s backside states that if you don’t reside in Taiwan for at least 183 days per year, your rights are canceled. So, “permanent” means “as long as you stay half the time in Taiwan”.

And is it really “permanent”?
I thought it was just for 10 years.
I guess 10,000 for 10 years isn’t too bad.

I knew about the 183 day rule, but isn’t there a way to apply for exemptions if you want a year off?

You can get time off if youn apply in advance and have a good reason.

[quote=“citizen k”][quote=“rocky raccoon”] I have tax receipts for all my time in Taiwan, but did have a period where I overstayed because my company effed things up a little bit. My residence permit expired before my work permit so had to pay a 2k fine.

Has anyone ever been denied an PARC for reason’s like that? I’m just curious as to which criteria they will stand firm, and which they will let slide. A friend said that recently went through the process said that it all depends on the immigration agent that you get. :neutral:[/quote]

Yes, a good friend was denied for having overstayed something like 2 days; unfortunately, it’s considered a break in your residency. The tax receipt thing is not a big deal, since you actually have to go to the tax office and have them print up a current (3 months or less) record of your accounts for the years you are applying with. What the NIA encourages all prospective applicants to do is to arrange a meeting with an agent to verify that you qualify for application. They’ll be able to tell you then if it is possible for you to apply and whether to proceed with gathering the necessary documents.[/quote]

Wow, that sucks for your friend and looks like it might really suck for me too. I really want this APRC thing as it would help relax things for me a little bit. I wonder if I got my company to endorse a letter that says they’re responsible for the error, if they would show any leniency.

But even though your friend was denied for having overstayed for 2 days, I assume that altogether he had stayed in Taiwan for 183 days that year? It just seems a little out of whack in the logic department to me.

Yes, the card says you may obtain approval in advance.

All right, here’s another question…
If one has a child with their Taiwanese spouse then do they need bother apply for the PARC in the first place? As far as I understood there are few advantages to a PARC over and ARC other than of course not having to immediately leave if one’s spouse passes or in the event of divorce. If one has a Taiwanese child i.e. meaning one which holds a Taiwanese I.D., then the ‘foreigner’ would still be entitled to stay, isn’t that so?

[quote=“sulavaca”]All right, here’s another question…
If one has a child with their Taiwanese spouse then do they need bother apply for the PARC in the first place? As far as I understood there are few advantages to a PARC over and ARC other than of course not having to immediately leave if one’s spouse passes or in the event of divorce. If one has a Taiwanese child i.e. meaning one which holds a Taiwanese I.D., then the ‘foreigner’ would still be entitled to stay, isn’t that so?[/quote]

No.

[quote=“sulavaca”]
As far as I understood there are few advantages to a PARC over and ARC other than of course not having to immediately leave if one’s spouse passes or in the event of divorce. [/quote]

For me having a PARC is better than an ARC because I can stay in Taiwan and wouldn’t be bound to a single company for work. I think that’s a pretty sweet benefit to a PARC.

[quote=“Mr He”][quote=“sulavaca”]All right, here’s another question…
If one has a child with their Taiwanese spouse then do they need bother apply for the PARC in the first place? As far as I understood there are few advantages to a PARC over and ARC other than of course not having to immediately leave if one’s spouse passes or in the event of divorce. If one has a Taiwanese child i.e. meaning one which holds a Taiwanese I.D., then the ‘foreigner’ would still be entitled to stay, isn’t that so?[/quote]

No.[/quote]

Wow! So if my son didn’t have British citizenship and his mother died, I would have to leave and he could possibly have to remain in Taiwan. That sucks!

Used to be like that, now there is a contingency and you can stay based on demostrated affiliation and obvious need.

Hmm. Something tells me that in Taiwan the word “obvious” wouldn’t be that apparent to most people. :unamused:

Obvious might be that you own a car, might be that you have several girlfriends, could arguably be anything.