Permanent A.R.C. thingies?

The Permanent ARC card’s backside states that if you don’t reside in Taiwan for at least 183 days per year, your rights are canceled. So, “permanent” means “as long as you stay half the time in Taiwan”.[/quote]

I quite my job in Sept after living and working here for 6 years, there was a 10 day period between the end of my Job ARC and my new JFRC.

I went to manila and got a visitors visa, however when I applied for my permanent ARC. I was told at the MOFA that because of the 10 day period between my old arc and my new JFRC my time here had been canceled and I went back to zero…, meaning as far as they were concerned I had been here less than one year, I have to wait 6 more years before I can apply for my permanent ARC and I have to pay 23% tax for the next 6 months, nice…

Fucking typical[/quote]

I have it differently. It’s five years on the same visa. If you change your visa you go back to zero. i.e. Go from an ARC to an JFRV and you’re back to zero. For citizenship you also have to wait five years. change your visa from an ARC to to a JFRV and you go back to zero. However, for citizenship, married person only wait for 3 years, not five. So change from ARC to JFRV you go back to zero and have to wait 3 years.
However, for APRC the timing may be different, but you went back to zero because you changed your visa.

[quote=“sulavaca”]I’m beginning to wonder why the option of a marriage based A.R.C. if you must leave immediately if your spouse dies and if you have been residing without making an official income. And an income higher than an average wage in order to qualify for a permanent Alien Resident Certificate?
It makes as little sense as it seems fair to me.
So being a house wife or husband doesn’t contribute towards anything? What is that saying exactly?[/quote]

Nothing good…

However, if you have dependents other than your spouse (children etc…) then you can still remain on a JFRV even if your spouse dies, or if you get divorced.

[quote=“Icon”][eek: That was back in the day. 1200nts…?

Ehem, plus translation/certification of documents (50 USD so far) plus express mail for such documents (4000 nts so far and counting) plus transportation and hotel for my father who’s helping me take the stuff to nearby country because we have no relationship with the Renegade Province…(you don’t want to know).

Still, it might be cheaper at the long run. :ponder:[/quote]

I didn’t need to pay for translations… the Australian Government issued documents both in English and in Traditional Chinese, with notorizations… for free. :smiley: :smiley: You see when you come from the right sort of country you will have a government that can issue documents in multitudes of languages. So my renunciation and other documents were issued in both English and Mandarin, duly stamped by the Taiwan Office in Canberra, posted up for about NT$300 by my sister.

The Permanent ARC card’s backside states that if you don’t reside in Taiwan for at least 183 days per year, your rights are canceled. So, “permanent” means “as long as you stay half the time in Taiwan”.[/quote]

I quite my job in Sept after living and working here for 6 years, there was a 10 day period between the end of my Job ARC and my new JFRC.

I went to manila and got a visitors visa, however when I applied for my permanent ARC. I was told at the MOFA that because of the 10 day period between my old arc and my new JFRC my time here had been canceled and I went back to zero…, meaning as far as they were concerned I had been here less than one year, I have to wait 6 more years before I can apply for my permanent ARC and I have to pay 23% tax for the next 6 months, nice…

Fucking typical[/quote]

I believe these things have been successfully overturned on appeal.

[quote=“Satellite TV”][quote=“Icon”][eek: That was back in the day. 1200nts…?

Ehem, plus translation/certification of documents (50 USD so far) plus express mail for such documents (4000 nts so far and counting) plus transportation and hotel for my father who’s helping me take the stuff to nearby country because we have no relationship with the Renegade Province…(you don’t want to know).

Still, it might be cheaper at the long run. :ponder:[/quote]

I didn’t need to pay for translations… the Australian Government issued documents both in English and in Traditional Chinese, with notorizations… for free. :smiley: :smiley: You see when you come from the right sort of country you will have a government that can issue documents in multitudes of languages. So my renunciation and other documents were issued in both English and Mandarin, duly stamped by the Taiwan Office in Canberra, posted up for about NT$300 by my sister.[/quote]

My dear, if I came from the right kind of country, I wouldn’t need to beg, plead, cayole and bribe to get my rights respected. I would get service no matter my pedigree or income. And there would be a Taipei trade office, currently not allowed in spite of the fact we have thousands of Taiwanese citizens, from business people to artists to common folk, requiring their help every day.

Long live the Republic of China (Taiwan)! Long live Isla Formosa! Viva Taike!

ps.
How was spending the consumer coupons? Would have loved to see the faces of the guys you bought stuff from. Double pleasure, so to speak. :smiley:

Fucking typical[/quote]

The part about going back to zero is wrong. Under the law, from the date you complete your continuous 5-year ARC-based residency, you then have a maximum two-year window to complete the filing of your application based on that period. The authorities have a history of many cases of arbitrarily telling prospective applicants that they are unqualified for reasons that don’t have a basis in the law. You need to check the actual text of the relevant laws and regulations (or get a lawyer to do so for you), and then argue your case. File your application and if you get rejected without a sound legal basis, you have a strong chance of prevailing on appeal.

The relevant provision is the last paragraph of Article 25 of the Immigration Act (入出國及移民法) as last amended on 23 January 2009, below:

依第一項或第二項規定申請永久居留者,應於居留及居住期間屆滿後二年內申請之。

One caveat: the Chinese wording of this provision is a bit vague. The spirit is clear – it is a two-year window or grace period for applicants. However, in another possible reading, the argument could be made that it requires applicants to apply within two years from the time they first become eligible. I’ve never heard of this latter reading being applied, however. And most people I know who have successfully filed for APRCs did not get around to doing so until well more than two years after meeting the 5- (or previously 7-) year requirement, but were able to apply because they had kept continuously staying under ARCs. I only add this caveat because I would not suggest that other prospective applicants rely on the above provision as an excuse to let a break occur between ARCs or to delay in filing an application.

[quote=“Rotalsnart”]The relevant provision is the last paragraph of Article 25 of the Immigration Act (入出國及移民法) as last amended on 23 January 2009, below:

[/quote]

By the way, here is a rough translation of the provision cited above:

An applicant for permanent residency under paragraph 1 or paragraph 2 shall apply within two years after completing the required residency period.

[quote=“Icon”]My dear, if I came from the right kind of country, I wouldn’t need to beg, plead, cayole and bribe to get my rights respected. I would get service no matter my pedigree or income. And there would be a Taipei trade office, currently not allowed in spite of the fact we have thousands of Taiwanese citizens, from business people to artists to common folk, requiring their help every day. Long live the Republic of China (Taiwan)! Long live Isla Formosa! Viva Taike!

ps.
How was spending the consumer coupons? Would have loved to see the faces of the guys you bought stuff from. Double pleasure, so to speak. :smiley:[/quote]

Using the coupons was a non event really, We had a washing machine delivered by a chap that comes up to our village on regular visits. I dont get favoured treatment because I am Taiwanese, it’s just much easier for local clerks to deal with somebody with an ID card.

Not knowing where you originate from, I can understand the frustratoins many people have with trying to get documentation processed for citizenship and migration. After all, I ran an immigration consultancy here for 10 years and had to assist many clients get their documents, notarized, translated ( I did this inhouse with my own tranlastion licence ) and put together thei applications for temporary or permanent residence overseas. When I started here I had to send all the applications to HK.

My own naturalization processing here was a real adventure do the the fact that I was a single father, and I did not include my Australian son in the application. It’s alwasy fun taking my son in with my ID Card and household registration to renew his ARC. He’s an Australian and I am his whitey Taiwanese Father lol

[quote=“Satellite TV”][quote=“Icon”]My dear, if I came from the right kind of country, I wouldn’t need to beg, plead, cayole and bribe to get my rights respected. I would get service no matter my pedigree or income. And there would be a Taipei trade office, currently not allowed in spite of the fact we have thousands of Taiwanese citizens, from business people to artists to common folk, requiring their help every day. Long live the Republic of China (Taiwan)! Long live Isla Formosa! Viva Taike!

ps.
How was spending the consumer coupons? Would have loved to see the faces of the guys you bought stuff from. Double pleasure, so to speak. :smiley:[/quote][/quote]

Using the coupons was a non event really, We had a washing machine delivered by a chap that comes up to our village on regular visits. I don’t get favoured treatment because I am Taiwanese, it’s just much easier for local clerks to deal with somebody with an ID card.

I got a few smiles. They seemed bemused but not quite sure why I had the coupons. It was fun! Thanks uncle Ma!!

[quote=“Rotalsnart”]The relevant provision is the last paragraph of Article 25 of the Immigration Act (入出國及移民法) as last amended on 23 January 2009, below:

One caveat: the Chinese wording of this provision is a bit vague. The spirit is clear – it is a two-year window or grace period for applicants. However, in another possible reading, the argument could be made that it requires applicants to apply within two years from the time they first become eligible. I’ve never heard of this latter reading being applied, however. And most people I know who have successfully filed for APRCs did not get around to doing so until well more than two years after meeting the 5- (or previously 7-) year requirement, but were able to apply because they had kept continuously staying under ARCs. I only add this caveat because I would not suggest that other prospective applicants rely on the above provision as an excuse to let a break occur between ARCs or to delay in filing an application.[/quote]
I applied for my APRC the first week I was eligible. I had actually timed my US police background check, and all the other things I needed down to a T. However, I assisted my friend in applying for his APRC back in July 2008 and he’s been on his JFRV married visa/ARC without a break since forever. He’s been here in Taiwan 30+ years and has been married for 22 years. I was concerned that he’d missed the two year window to qualify for it, but the officials didn’t even bring it up and he got it without any questions. Rotalsnart is right, the wording is extremely vague.

[quote=“Northcoast Surfer”]
I applied for my APRC the first week I was eligible. I had actually timed my US police background check, and all the other things I needed down to a T. However, I assisted my friend in applying for his APRC back in July 2008 and he’s been on his JFRV married visa/ARC without a break since forever. He’s been here in Taiwan 30+ years and has been married for 22 years. I was concerned that he’d missed the two year window to qualify for it, but the officials didn’t even bring it up and he got it without any questions. Rotalsnart is right, the wording is extremely vague.[/quote]

Well, if he was still on his JFRV at the time of application, that window had not even yet opened! :wink: I had been here almost 11 years when I applied for mine and no window was mentioned. They just started counting 7 years (it was still 7 when I applied) from the present backwards. So, two cases that show that reading mentioned above not to be so. :bow:

[quote=“citizen k”][quote=“Northcoast Surfer”]
I applied for my APRC the first week I was eligible. I had actually timed my US police background check, and all the other things I needed down to a T. However, I assisted my friend in applying for his APRC back in July 2008 and he’s been on his JFRV married visa/ARC without a break since forever. He’s been here in Taiwan 30+ years and has been married for 22 years. I was concerned that he’d missed the two year window to qualify for it, but the officials didn’t even bring it up and he got it without any questions. Rotalsnart is right, the wording is extremely vague.[/quote]

Well, if he was still on his JFRV at the time of application, that window had not even yet opened! :wink: I had been here almost 11 years when I applied for mine and no window was mentioned. They just started counting 7 years (it was still 7 when I applied) from the present backwards. So, two cases that show that reading mentioned above not to be so. :bow:[/quote]

Yes, I fully agree that the two year provision is intended as a grace period or window in favor of the applicants (and not against them). I only mentioned this other possible (but skewed) reading because the administrative authorities might have been using such a skewed reading when they told the earlier poster that his clock had been set back to zero (when in fact he should have a two-year grace period). I believe if this is what happened, he would have a good chance of either applying successfully or prevailing on appeal if he is willing to aggressively pursue his case (and barring any other possible disqualifying factors that haven’t been mentioned).

Yeah, but the earlier poster mentions living here for 6 years, (no mention of how many of those were ARC based), having had a 10 break in his residence during that period, and then needing another 6 years since his “clock” has been reset. He’s obviously confused about a few things, because the period of continuous residency has never been 6 years…

Also, you wrote:

I’m saying that this is not so and misleading: The window does not start from the date you complete 5 years; you could have 22 years, as NCS mentioned above, and still not have missed your chance.

[quote=“citizen k”]Yeah, but the earlier poster mentions living here for 6 years, (no mention of how many of those were ARC based), having had a 10 break in his residence during that period, and then needing another 6 years since his “clock” has been reset. He’s obviously confused about a few things, because the period of continuous residency has never been 6 years…
[/quote]

All six were ARC years living and working. I just decided to apply for my AP…now I was never under the impression that the required period was 6 years I just decided to do it now as I finally got my criminal record check, so papers in hand I appy only to be informed that my clock was reset to zero because of the 10 day period between ARC and JF… In addition I was also refused the vouchers for the same reason.

I am pissed considering I have paid taxes every year and continue to do so…

[quote=“citizen k”]
Also, you wrote:

I’m saying that this is not so and misleading: The window does not start from the date you complete 5 years; you could have 22 years, as NCS mentioned above, and still not have missed your chance.[/quote]

Perhaps my wording was misleading, and if so I apologize, but I think we’re in agreement on the concept. What I meant was, the 2-year window starts from the last day in WHATEVER 5-year period of continuous ARC-based residency you are specifically claiming as your qualifying period in your application. (And yes, it should make no difference if you happened to have been here under an ARC or otherwise for however many years before that period.)

So, just to clarify: You had the required 5 years of continuous residency (no breaks), this 10 day break occured after meeting your required residence obligation, you then tried to use your 2 year window, but were denied? If so, that does suck and sounds like grounds for an appeal…

[quote=“Rotalsnart”]
Perhaps my wording was misleading, and if so I apologize, but I think we’re in agreement on the concept. What I meant was, the 2-year window starts from the last day in WHATEVER 5-year period of continuous ARC-based residency you are specifically claiming as your qualifying period in your application. (And yes, it should make no difference if you happened to have been here under an ARC or otherwise for however many years before that period.)[/quote]

Yeah, no problem here: just trying to minimize some of the confusion that people seem to be having about this thing… :wink:

[quote=“shifty”][quote=“citizen k”]Yeah, but the earlier poster mentions living here for 6 years, (no mention of how many of those were ARC based), having had a 10 break in his residence during that period, and then needing another 6 years since his “clock” has been reset. He’s obviously confused about a few things, because the period of continuous residency has never been 6 years…
[/quote]

All six were ARC years living and working. I just decided to apply for my AP…now I was never under the impression that the required period was 6 years I just decided to do it now as I finally got my criminal record check, so papers in hand I appy only to be informed that my clock was reset to zero because of the 10 day period between ARC and JF… [color=#FF0000]In addition I was also refused the vouchers for the same reason.[/color]

I am pissed considering I have paid taxes every year and continue to do so…[/quote]

Because of the ten day “break” you didn’t get vouchers? Seems odd. I got the vouchers and I’ve been on a work ARC all along. They sai I got them because I’m on my wife’s Family Book. :idunno:

All spouses of Taiwanese Nationals on a JFRV are/were entitled to vouchers. Seems like the offices Shifty is dealing with are providing inaccurate information… :frowning:

Edit: I guess this is not completely correct, because, as Bismark mentions, you have to be on the Household Registry. :blush: