Personal Finance Software - What do you use? Tips/Tricks

Well, what do you use? I was only using software for PDAs, but I’ve come to realize that it’s cumbersome to do so (I started tracking all of my spending.)

Now I’m trying to figure out which program for PCs will suit me best.

My current top pick is [Moneydance]. The main two reasons I like it is because it’s simple and will work on ANY OS (*nix, Mac, Windows) because it’s Java based (I think.) That’s a plus for me because I would like to be totally free of windows one day (and not go Mac :wink:.)

I know the other two big contenders would be [Microsoft Money] and [Quicken].

[Moneydance] and [Microsoft Money] have a free trial. Unfortunately it seems [Quicken does not] (but they do have a 60 day money back garuntee thing.)

I’ve also found [this site] that has a feature list and rating of a bunch of different software.

The reason I stopped entering everything into a PDA is because it’s much easier and faster to do on a computer. What I do now is collect all of my reciepts through the day, write down things that don’t have a reciept (in a notebook or my PDA) and update everything before I go to sleep (or when I wake up, it’s really important to stay on top of it.)

I use Microsoft Money although I could not find it here and had to get someone to ship it to me as you can’t buy software on-line (at least at the time)

It is a good program for personal finances although I have nothing to compare it to.

[quote=“dvasas”]I use Microsoft Money although I could not find it here and had to get someone to ship it to me as you can’t buy software on-line (at least at the time)

It is a good program for personal finances although I have nothing to compare it to.[/quote]
Standard, Deluxe or Premium? Wish they could just come out with one that did it all (suppose that’d be Premium.) I’ll probably give the demo a test drive later this week.

My web reading tells me Microsft Money is the go to program right now.

Miltownkid,

It looks like MS is going for these kinds of versions for all of its software, not just Money.

I don’t know if it’s to make our lives simpler or not.

Oh, well.

Kenneth

[quote=“KenTaiwan98”]Miltownkid,

It looks like MS is going for these kinds of versions for all of its software, not just Money.

I don’t know if it’s to make our lives simpler or not.

Oh, well.

Kenneth[/quote]
It just confuses me. XP Home and Office, XP Pro :stuck_out_tongue: I wonder what the real strategy behind it is (I know the must be one.) I don’t like to admit it, but I probably won’t get MS Money just because it’s a Microsoft product. I’m trying to break ties with MS not make them (but that’s another discussion for another thread…)

I think Money Dance is going to serve all of my needs. It makes reports, charts, and that stuff. I’m not really sure what else I should be looking for in a program like this. I’m sure I’ll find out along the way though.

I just thought of something, here’s a plus for MS. There’s an [Add-on for Windows Mobile], so you can sync your PDA with your desktop. That would be handy.

Yes, there undoubtedly is a strategy. It’s confusion marketing, so that you can’t really determine the value of the product in dollar terms.

This kind of marketing is usually employed by companies in markets where products are already commoditized. Different weights, different price points, different advertising, different sales channels, etc. all exist to make it difficult for consumers to determine the true value of a product, vis-a-vis the competition. We wont’ be able to determine the cheapest product and have to rely on other factors to determine its value.

I must confess having used Works for years, I have seen a number of changes in the product since 1998 when i started using. Originally, it was quite a powerful product in its own right upto version 4.5. I used it and found it quite good. It skipped version 5, went to version 6 (which I bought) and version 7. It has gradually had its base eroded and cut down to distinguish it more from WORD, so that people needing a real word processor HAD to buy word (ie. fork out nearly double the price). Version 6-8 all sucked. Were far more unstable, included lots of guff that was unnecessary, and I never used. Result: I didn’t buy Word, I went to Openoffice instead.

Selling a crippled product is FAR worse than selling only an expensive product. If it’s expensive, I can aspire to own it. If it’s crippled, I wouldn’t touch a more expensive product for fear of being hung out to dry at some point in the future.

IMHO.
Kenneth

I use MYOB which is a bit hefty for personal finances but I’m just used to it from running my business accounts. Has an excellent (if quirky) invoicing system and connects to Excel via ODBC so when an order comes in I only have to fill out the invoice in MYOB and everything else is done for me.

[quote=“miltownkid”][quote=“dvasas”]I use Microsoft Money although I could not find it here and had to get someone to ship it to me as you can’t buy software on-line (at least at the time)

It is a good program for personal finances although I have nothing to compare it to.[/quote]
Standard, Deluxe or Premium? Wish they could just come out with one that did it all (suppose that’d be Premium.) I’ll probably give the demo a test drive later this week.

My web reading tells me Microsft Money is the go to program right now.[/quote]

Microsoft Money 2003 - Canadian Edition