Personal loans

I tried to apply that kind of loan before and was denied without any explanation as to why. These loans are government loans and are meant for people with limited income.

It depends on how “limited” your income is. They aren’t handouts.

All permanent residents and spouses of ROC citizens get it.

If you have been here on a 10 year work based ARC the that’s your issue… If you weren’t here for 5 years then it is just like most countries such as the US, UK, Australia, New Zealand who don’t give handouts to non permanent residents.

The 6,000 is called a “tax rebate” by name only. It is actually a handout from a massive tax surplus that its offering to its citizens and permanent residents.

Even babies get it! I am not sure which babies have been working…

If it were an actual rebate it would be offsetting the taxes you paid last year.

Are you just repeating back to me stuff I already said? :slight_smile:

they’re supposed to be. They are called 紓困貸款 which is meant to help you weather a lean time due to covid. You get it because you need it and your income was reduced because of covid.

It means you are supposed to be able to get it even without qualifications and stuff.

You have to be able to prove that you were working prior to the pandemic. If you made too little to file tax, didn’t have labor insurance, and didn’t have regular income before, then they wouldn’t be convinced you were working…

Also, about getting credit cards - you have to be able to prove you have financial resources if you don’t have regular income. It’s the same for bank loans. Even though I have no local income, I have a long-standing banking history that shows regular deposits and withdrawals and I keep 6 month’s living expenses in my accounts. I believe you have to have at least NT$60K in your name before they would consider giving you a credit card if you don’t have a regular job.

2 Likes

“U.S. citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents who have social security numbers” - AKA APRC holders

Australia limited the stimulus to people who were on social security. (Only permanent residents in Australia are eligible for social security)

In fact Australia even said “Temporary visa holders who are unable to support themselves under these arrangements over the next six months are strongly encouraged to return home.”

You will notice a trend across most countries :slight_smile:

That’s not how a “bailout loan” works.

When I tried to apply for a Costco credit card I was told you only need 20,000nt in your account and you will be able to get it. However I wound up applying for the wrong type of card (they didn’t explain what each type is for and all that) and was denied. The guy said the type of card I applied for is for people with at least 3 million NT of taxed income per year, I would have gotten it had I applied for the right one.

I don’t know what will change now that they switched bank to Fubon…

And other countries are far more generous. And don’t prevent the vast majority of their immigrants from potentially becoming permanent residents in the first place.

Besides, I already said ‘tax rebate’ was a misnomer. Which you continue to repeat back to me.

Anyway we , or should I say I , by providing the evidence above, have established that when it comes to personal loans discrimination against foreigners is basically government backed policy here.
No need to argue otherwise at this stage. So you moved onto the ‘tax rebate’ I guess.

1 Like

My wife had a property in her name with no mortgage, more than 200k in the bank and was denied a Costco credit card when she applied. Rejected as had no formal employment income.
Put her on company payroll 3 months later she applied and given a card.

So it’s actually better to have a formal income of say 25,000nt a month than 60,000nt a month from undeclared business income?

Man banks here are fucking dense. Almost like universities, they only care about what’s on paper, not what’s outside of it.

In the states I got a credit card from Bank of America, no income, just landed in the country a week ago and had just received my social security card. It was far easier to get loans in the states than here in Taiwan. I could have easily gotten a loan of 100,000 dollars if I so choose. Actually with my FICO score getting mortgages with no money down was probably not a problem (it was in the 730s range).

Not so in Taiwan. Gotta have at least 30% down to buy a house here. And your income had to be on paper. Does that mean people running food stands probably can’t get a credit card even if their income was over 100k a month? It makes no sense.

Isn’t it normal for banks to care about what’s on paper?

My original post said ‘this is our declared income’ i was basing responses on what was declared.

Our actual income is higher than that but I assumed banks would only care about the money on the books.

I can’t imagine any bank in Australia or any other developed country just handing out money to homeless people who apply and say they have $10,000,000 with none of it on paper?

Why don’t you just get your money on paper?

1 Like

Real estate ownership is actually a less favorable proof for credit cards.

The keyword is “steady”. A banking record that shows a healthy balance each month for at least a year should suffice.

Thus the 2008 financial crisis.

So they never learned their lesson. I landed in December of 2014 and got the credit card, 700 dollars limit, within a week of landing. I was able to increase it up to about 1500 dollars over time. Though I didn’t really push hard for the increase, because I don’t want more credit than I can handle.

But I had no job when I first landed in the US.

It is 20,000NTD PLUS an income. (at least from what they told me)

Which ones? Australia for example charges 6,000AUD plus for a spousal visa and a 12 + month wait @justintaiwan am I correct? Back me up on this. Other “generous” countries are a lot less “generous” than you think.

You mentioned it earlier on and I replied to it.

[cricket sounds]

Then go get one?

Name me a country that has banks that will give money to businesses who don’t declare any income.

Wow! Don’t let them know that a bank in Taiwan gave me a credit card with a 2,000 USD credit card 1 month after landing :open_mouth:

The banks in America aren’t really limited by how much interest they can charge on their credit cards… Unlike Taiwan that actually regulates it based on your credit score… So I’m betting that card had an interest rate of 25%+ (depending on your US credit history)

Also Taiwanese banks have to follow more guidelines than American banks on assets and income etc. Especially since the Taiwan credit card crisis of 2006

No, I don’t remember but I think the interest was around 12%.

I paid about $7,000 for the visa fee, $6,000 for a lawyer (Australia’s system is more complicated with rejection basically rendering you illegible for visas in the future without special consideration). Plus a few thousand more for translations and other fees and documents.

We waited 18ish months for the temporary visa to be issued. My spouse is now eligible for permanent residence however we are just waiting for that to be issued.

I guess it depends on your point of view. Australia doesn’t require any time being physically in Australia to be granted permanent residency (for spouses and certain professionals) but the wait times and fees are astronomical

Taiwan will give Spouse ARCs pretty easily but you need 5 years in Taiwan to get independent permanent residency. However wait times and fees minimal.

Also access to public funds in Australia isn’t just available to just any permanent resident.
They need to have lived in Australia for 4 years (i think, it might be 3. It’s several years though). The exception is refugees.

1 Like

The vast majority of immigrants, until very recently, couldn’t ever apply to be permanent residents in Taiwan.

That has changed recently whereby some may be able to apply after 12 years residency and work history.

2 Likes

!!!NEWSFLASH!!! Most countries don’t offer permanent residency to migrant workers. (Including the US as it’s not an immigrant visa) Taiwan is now one of the few that does!

So my opinion is that Australia is more restrictive for initial entry. But less restrictive once your in.

Taiwan is the other way around. It not restrictive for initial entry. But moving along with your life once your in is more difficult than it should be.

I’m speaking practically, not about what is possible and not possible. I think the actual possibilities in both are rather similar but Taiwan requires way more effort.

If you’re referring to migrant workers I do think the way they’re immigration status worms is unfair. But Australia isn’t innocent either. The difference is that Australia values immigrants more in daily life than Taiwan IMHO.

Australia’s working holiday visa is a de facto agricultural worker visa and there’s no path to permanent residency for them either. The UK in particular has an issue with this (a new visa is supposed to be in the works to rectify this after discussions between the 2 governments about this issue).

There are agricultural visas for pacific islanders and a few other countries and I’m pretty sure there is pathway to permanent residency for them.

Also a little off topic but relevant. Everyone is entitled to the same minimum wage and conditions in Australia. Everyone. Even if you were caught working illegally, you could still sue to be paid correctly if you weren’t.

Both me and my husband are planning to go the entire way with both countries immigration. Until we are both full citizens in both countries. Taiwan’s process has already been much easier.

3 Likes

Most countries doesn’t mean much. Most countries are poor for instance. Most countries are corrupt.

Japan, Korea, Canada, many European countries offer pathways to permanent reisdency for their migrant workers.

Anyway keep making excuses for discrimination. Including for discrimination against you getting a personal loan in Taiwan.

go for it dude.

1 Like