Personal loans

Managed to find one of my girlfriends (ex migrant worker’s) old payslips (much much better source than “google”)

But let’s not let “facts” ruin your narrative.

I’m not saying it’s fact, I’m just telling you what Taiwanese people seem to think.

Maybe the employer pays 60,000 a month, and the worker only sees around 25,000 a month because the you know, employment agency takes their cut.

Someone above said the income requirement was double minimum , which would be ridiculous for someone not entitled to minimum wage.

My point was that something unachievable is pointless, not the commission structure.

But 33,000 is doable so it’s not really relevant now.

1 Like

You think that one person’s payslip is a “much much better source” and more “facts” than the average salary for migrant workers, as reported by the MOL?

Lol.

this

It’s actually 50,000 (sorry for the confusion) OR getting the equivalent of an Australian certificate 3 level or above

Most will obviously go the certification route as it’s not difficult to get (can do it in months with part time study or even get it awarded on the job with minimal effort or study)

That is the income requirement for permanent residency - two times minimum wage, which keeps increasing every year.

@comfy123 is for some reason talking about the (lower) salary requirement for being classified as an intermediate skilled worker, presumably because that’s more convenient for his narrative.

Yes, there are technical certification criteria through which people can qualify as well. I hadn’t overlooked that, I just don’t know all the fields and subfields in which these exams are offered (it’s not every sector - I looked into it months ago for something else, but the info in English was quite difficult to hunt down).

This seems to be the list of exams, as far as I can tell. Hopefully I’m missing something and there’s a more extensive list of technical exams somewhere (?), but as far as I can tell there aren’t many (any?) categories on there that seem too relevant to your typical migrant worker.

Other ARC holders can also use these to get APRCs and have been able to for a while, but it seems like pretty much everyone goes the salary route.

1 Like

This is confusing and not relevant to me so I’m tapping out.

I still maintain that Australia is a friendlier and fairer environment to foreigners than Taiwan. But is comparatively more difficult to immigrate too (in saying that you don’t need to be a high income earner, you just need to prove your value). You will almost never hear an Australian say the equivalent of 外國人沒辦法 where is it’s normal to say that here, even if it usually isn’t true. Comfy pointed out that it is illegal for banks to discriminate here but they still discriminate and no one stops them. It doesn’t matter that it’s illegal, it still happens. And even if they don’t say that ‘it’s because your a foreigner’ that was no doubt part of the decision making process. I’ve never been able to do anything without my foreginess being pointed out to me as if it’s news to me.That’s where the problem lies. That’s what gets to everyone and makes us all grumpy.

2 Likes

It’s one thing to be ‘preapproved’ for a loan but then to go in and apply or actually get the cash and they realize it’s a guailo applying. That application is not only getting shredded faster than one can say Waiguoren but the xiaojie that put it through originally by accident is getting fired :smile:

2 Likes

I asked once because I was curious when I was dealing with updating my remittance details at the branch.

Nope. They called the loan office to confirm. They had all my details on file (knew I was a foreigner) and I was told if I wanted to I could have it done the same day if I wanted it right then. Everything was all prefilled (and approved) and I just needed to say “yes”

1 Like

That’s pretty good. I’ve been told no at every bank I’ve asked. For mortgages there were a few that would play ball but personal loans were their red line.

Ive never tried the technique of getting the loan forms from the bank directly and submitting them to Taipei. Perhaps that might work.

2 Likes

You said you work like 5 hours a week now? Why couldn’t ALL of the extra 24 hours per week you worked be savings?

unlikely.

Maybe at the peak of ridiculously bad lending standards. 2014, lending standards for mortgages were relatively solid, still coming out of the banking crisis. (and as an aside, 2014? did you get kicked out of the US twice?)

It makes total sense to be able to document your income when getting a loan to determine whether you can pay it back.

4 Likes

But by no means perfect

Tax filings, bank deposits, receipts for business purchases that show high product turnover, receipts given to customers. There are ways to document food stall income. But if people are dodging taxes then they cause themselves a problem.

1 Like

Yup the issue is my wife did not have a tax reported income for many years. She had an income though. Anyway easily sorted as I put her on the payroll of my company.

Not always. I recently got 11k cash back cheque from Costco. That’s 2% of the annual spend. My Cathay card I also use to pay my overseas flights HSR tickets hotels and other things. So my Cathay card spend per year is probably NT$1 million or more. I have a limit of NT$60K and could increase it but I just wait till I get down to like 3k and then put 70K on the card.

China Trust I have a card with but not used so often. Both CT and Cathay have sent me text messages of pre approved unsecured loan. I forgot what the loan rate was I believe 6% at the time. I was also sent a text with a person to contact. Out of interest I called and asked about the loan.

@Brianjones something to be clear… it came to my attention that @Taiwan_Luthiers IS a Taiwanese citizen and therefore NONE of his woes has anything to do with his citizenship status…

I know that he probably is, why do you have to post that here?
Also what’s it got to do with me?

1 Like

It is as you and him were arguing that Taiwan doesn’t give personal loans to foreigners.

Then we also discussed the government relief loans etc that he was refused.

We need to be clear of if @Taiwan_Luthiers is a foreigner or not mislead anyone into thinking they cannot get a loan based on their nationality.