Pet needs good home

I need a good home for my lovely cat. He’s about six months old and has had vaccinations. There is no rabies in Taiwan, so that vaccination is not necessary. He is really nice, black and white with green eyes, and loves to play fetch with his twine ball.

I’m trying to leave, and don’t have the heart to throw him out on the streets.

Please PM if you are interested

Search the forum. There is lots of information about people on here who can help you bring your cat home with you so you don’t have to dump it. It’s not difficult at all if you have someone who knows how to do it.

I can’t deal with these posts about people wanting to dump their pets anymore. It seems that we get one every week now. Every time I see one it just makes my hatred for people stronger and deeper. Take your cat home with you if it is in any way possible. And please don’t use that dumping on the street line that everybody uses. At least try to be original. I don’t care if I get temped anymore, but what kind of sick f*** would throw their pet on the street?

I’m sick of it, too. Your post echoes my feelings exactly. Can’t people think things through
BEFORE
they get a pet? I’m sick of the lame excuses, too, when in reality, 99% of cases come down to money, being irresponsible and selfish.

marboulette

He didn’t say he wants to dump his pet. He said he DOESN’T want to dump it. If I was in his shoes, I’d for certain try to find it a home first before exploring other options, such as taking it overseas. If I were unable to find a local home for it, only THEN would I start looking at taking it home. (Well, no I wouldn’t – I wouldn’t take an animal at all if I thought there was a chance I’d later be unable to care for it, but that’s another story.) Give the bloke a chance before jumping on him, eh?

It’s not like he’s going the emotional blackmail route of “take my pet or I’m warning you, I WILL toss it out with the garbage to die a slow, hungry, miserable, disease-ridden death.” Which is what happens when you dump an animal, make NO mistake. If dumping is an option for you, then do the manly thing and smash its head in with a rock before you leave. The outcome is the same as dumping it, but at least its a quick death.

It’s too bad you couldn’t become a judge for capital cases. :bravo:

That’s not true, you’re breaking the law here and there are steep fines for not vaccinating against rabies here.
It has to be done once a year and if you’re registered with a vet, then they’ll tell you that it’s a must.

BEFORE
[/b] you get a pet" comment comes in.

I’m not sure it is. Be nice if whoever adopts that animal would think about it this time around, because it would suck to see that poor thing be ditched over and over again by people who do not have enough consideration for what a pet goes through when adopted under such a flawed and condescending interpretation of “owning” a pet.

marboulette

Yup. Rabies vaccination is absolutely necessary here. A vet who told you otherwise is talking out of his or her arse. You’re legally supposed to have them renewed every year, too, and have a little plastic tab on your animals collar that signifies this, although most vets who know what they’re talking about concur that once every eight years or so is adequate.

Marboulette, hindsight is 20-20. Give the fellow a chance! This attitude of jumping on ANYONE who fails to adhere to your personal opinions of how to deal with animals does you and your cause no good whatsoever. It just makes you look like a crank. PR. Its all about PR. Not everyone is as aware as you of the ramifications of their actions. Some people think they’re doing the animal a favour by taking it off the street. They aren’t always thinking about the situation down the line. Should they think? HELL yes, of course they should. YOU can say that. I can say that. Stray Dog can say that. Because we’ve all of us seen the results of unwanted animals here.
Remember, there are probably MANY people who come here – young and naive, sure, but with their hearts in the right place – who take in a stray during their time here and then find themselves having to leave – possibly not to “home” – for whom taking the creature with them is not an option. WHat if the bloke’s suddenly discovered he’s being posted to Beijing? You want his cat to go there? I think not!
This person is simply trying to find out whether someone will adopt his cat. He’s said NOTHING about wanting to dump it.

nicely put sandman.

It’s the line about not wanting to put it on the street that got to me. It makes it seem like that would be an option if no better option (adoption) came along. Plus, I agree with someone who said once that if a person was not planning to keep their pet for life, they should start looking for a home immediately, not a year down the line when they have to leave.
Can you imagine somebody putting their baby down the line just because they have to move to Beijing?

Again, hindsight is 20-20. Who’s to say he WASN’T planning to be here for the life of his pet? Situations change. He should … what, exactly? Try to live under the radar for 15 years or whatever it is, no ARC, no job, noplace to live?

An anecdote, if I may:
A good friend of mine, whom we shall call “Friend 1”, always leaves his two cats with me when he goes on vacation. One is a big, fat, lazy, complacent ginger male which we shall call “Cat 1”. The other is a skinny, neurotic, black, female adoptee from the gutters of Taipei City which we shall call “Cat 2”.
Needless to say I have developed a certain fondness for the critters, considering that I look after them for two months a year.
Last weekend I visited Friend 1 for a BBQ. Upon entering his apartment, I, as is my habit, looked for the wee bastards in order to lavish them with my drunken love… I found Cat 1 curled up under the dining room table, petted him and proceeded to look for Cat 2. Nowhere to be found. I enquired of my gracious host, Friend 1, as to the whereabouts of Cat 2. He mumbled something and glanced furtively at his steely-looking Taiwanese wife. I trundled off to the kitchen to pet myself a whisky.
Outside, I liased with another friend, whom we shall call “Friend 2”. Being mildly suspicious of the futiveness displayed by Friend 1 and his wife/laoban, I enquired after Cat 2. An angry Friend 2 informed me that Friend 1, under instruction from wife/laoban, had driven into Taipei City and dumped Cat 2 outside a temple because it was meowing too much. WTF?! I was mortified. As if dumping it outside a temple made things morally acceptable. Was poor Cat 2 going to burn some incense in the hope of allaying evil ghosts and hopefully make a pile of money in the New Year?
Needless to say I was furious. I wanted to punch my dear friend Friend 1. Luckily, Friend 2, being equally furious, decided to wreak retribution by opening Friend 1’s refrigerator and taking a piss in it.
Unappeased, I headed home. The poor kid out there in the cold, starving and unloved. Broke my fucking heart.

[quote=“sandman”]
Again, hindsight is 20-20. Who’s to say he WASN’T planning to be here for the life of his pet? Situations change. He should … what, exactly? Try to live under the radar for 15 years or whatever it is, no ARC, no job, noplace to live?[/quote]Hey that’s very true, but…[quote]99% of cases come down to money, being irresponsible and selfish. [/quote]Who’s to say he’s not the 1 out of 100 that actually has no choice? No one, you’re right.

[quote]Marboulette, hindsight is 20-20. Give the fellow a chance![/quote]I haven’t even addressed the fellow in question. I’m talking about the 99% of people who shouldn’t own a pet. I don’t know the OP, but the odds are not good looking at stats.

[quote]Marboulette, hindsight is 20-20. Give the fellow a chance! This attitude of jumping on ANYONE who fails to adhere to your personal opinions of how to deal with animals does you and your cause no good whatsoever. It just makes you look like a crank. PR. Its all about PR.[/quote]This line is getting tiring, seriously. I’ve considered all that time and again, and truth be told, I’m willing to put in my own time into helping animals, but I’m not willing to kiss your ass or anyone else’s for that matter. I say what I think and if you or anyone doesn’t like it, then so be it. I honestly couldn’t care less about this PR crap and how many more animals you think I can help with good PR. You want to start an animal welfare organization, you go right ahead, Sir. In the mean time, I’ll say what I think if that’s what I think people need to hear. If that’s alright with you, that would be dandy, and if it’s not, again, so be it, but like I said your song is getting old. You’ve said it, I’ve heard it. Now live with it because it won’t change.

[quote] Some people think they’re doing the animal a favour by taking it off the street.[/quote]They’re doing the animal a favor alright. But they should look for a home for the animal right away as it can take time and you don’t want to end up considering putting an animal back on the street. So better start looking for a home earlier than later.

[quote]Should they think? HELL yes, of course they should. [/quote]And that is all I said, in the third person at that.

[quote]YOU can say that. I can say that. Stray Dog can say that. Because we’ve all of us seen the results of unwanted animals here. [/quote]Yes, I CAN say that, and it’s precisely what I did.

[quote]Remember, there are probably MANY people who come here – young and naive, sure, but with their hearts in the right place – who take in a stray during their time here and then find themselves having to leave – possibly not to "home[/quote]And that’s why I’m sick of it. Fair enough, many people have the heart at the right place, but their heads is up their asses.

Oh shit, I have to leave! I need to find a home for my pet because I don’t want to put it back on the street!” How about starting to look for a home
before
you need to leave?

[quote]He’s said NOTHING about wanting to dump it.[/quote]True. And I blamed no one for wanting to dump an animal.

marboulette