Pet Peeves 2004

Are these peeves restricted to buxibans? Judging from the title I will assume that they aren’t. So. . .

• clusters of junior high school students in the middle of the aisle on the bus, talking and laughing loudly and blocking all people trying to walk to the front (or back) of the bus

• all the damn cell phones ringing on the bus after work

• people eating stinky food on the bus

• the girl who eats stinky food at her desk in my office

• little kids standing right next to you talking about you when you don’t understand enough Chinese to know what they are saying except for the repeated word “yaiguoren.”

I busted three kids last week at the crosswalk.
They were just standing there saying “Look at that American guy. He’s So tall.” “Blah, Blah, Blah”…THen I leaned over and said “Wo bu shi meiguo ren!”… I didn’t hink that the response was that witty or anything…but they lost it. They all turned around an split. Shouting and screaming…

I have to say it is pretty annoying when someone is talking about you right in front of you. Especially when you don’t know what they are saying.

Ski

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Are these peeves restricted to buxibans? Judging from the title I will assume that they aren’t. So. . .

• clusters of junior high school students in the middle of the aisle on the bus, talking and laughing loudly and blocking all people trying to walk to the front (or back) of the bus
    [/quote]

doesn’t this happen in any city where you step on a bus by the high school around 3pm or whatever?

at least in Taiwan around these kids, I don’t have to fear for my safety, or act tough so i’m left alone (by this i mean the canadian and american cities i’ve lived in. can’t speak for other places.)

[quote=“Jack Burton”][quote=“Mother Theresa”]clusters of junior high school students in the middle of the aisle on the bus, talking and laughing loudly and blocking all people trying to walk to the front (or back) of the bus
[/quote]

doesn’t this happen in any city where you step on a bus by the high school around 3pm or whatever?[/quote]

I don’t know. I’m american. I don’t ride the bus back home.

[quote]I busted a three kids last week at the crosswalk.
They were just standing there saying “Look at that American guy. He’s So tall.” “Blah, Blah, Blah”…THen I leaned over and said “Wo bu shi meiguo ren!”… I didn’t hink that the response was that witty or anything…but they lost it. They all turned around an split. Shouting and screaming… [/quote]

I did the same thing a couple of days ago, except that I said “Wo bu shi yaiguoren, wo shi taiwanren.” They were very puzzled and frightened and their mother who was sitting nearby appeared shocked that I snapped back at her boys like that. :laughing:

Please check this link
[url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/pet-peeves-in-taiwan/784/1 Peeves in Taiwan[/url]
Forumosans have posted extensively on this already.

[quote=“wolf_reinhold”]Please check this link
[url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/pet-peeves-in-taiwan/784/1 Peeves in Taiwan[/url]
Forumosans have posted extensively on this already.[/quote]
I created the new thread. The old pet peeves thread spanned three years and thirteen pages. I think it’s time for a new thread - hence Pet Peeves 2004. I know most of the pet peeves are not original, but I think people just want to bitch and moan a little. Is that so wrong? :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

I believe Wolf was just voicing his peeve. :wink:

Asking 3 different accountants about tax rules - and get 3 different answers.

Being told by a coworker that this or that very trivial thing is “impossible”.

Running out of Kerosene on a cold evening.

Pet Peeves

1. People who put clothes on their dogs.
  2. Dogs that like to wear clothes.
  3. Fleas.
  4. Homosexual Budgies.
  5. Cats.
  6. Poop on the sidewalk.

Those DAMN SPEAKER TRUCKS!!!
Fools who run red lights!
Overpriced milk!

I put the link since I didn’t want people to be without the info.
I could change the link to a neat prostitution site in Hong Kong if you like.

I’m still pretty jacked about the unbelievable number of city buses that run red lights.

Once on a train trip in Taiwan, I sat next to a middle-aged fellow who picked the dead skin off of his hands and flicked it on the floor, followed by the dried boogers in his nose. He also kept up a litany of “silent but deadly” flatulence that had me rummaging around in my briefcase for a face mask. I finally got pissed off and chewed him out when one of the boogers flew my way. He was shocked, and stopped picking his nose. I must have scared his anal sphincter into dormancy as well, because the air got much cleaner.

After he detrained, another middled aged fellow stood up in the crowded car and farted twice in my general direction. I swore and shook my head at him. As I got off the train, I added in Mandarin “Excuse me, Mr. Farter, let me by.” He too was shocked.

Why can’t I ever get a seat next to a lovely lady, or at least a gent who knows better than to fart when others are around?

I have a pet peeve that Mother Theresa’s avatar is too damn cute and distracting. Something so coquettish and hypnotizing should be prohibited by the monitors.

Change that avatar.

I am sick of weird looks and comments each time I go buy lottery tickets.

Ok… enlighten me… what exactly is a homosexual budgie? And, why don’t you like them? Are you a homo-budgie-phobe?

A teacher showing up for work at 8:30 without his books or teaching materials.

Why oh why? Because he came straight from the bar. Or breakfast after leaving the girls house. The girl he met in the bar.

Hey! I’m all up for good old fashion fun. But come on people. If that you smarten the fuck up. It’s not on!
ski

I knew an Englishman in Tainan who did that at his morning highschool class. Except that after he finished the bar hopping, he still wanted to keep partying. So he took the bar to the classroom. As in, he brought in his bottle of hooch and kept swigging off of it and chainsmoking a chimney while he was in front of his students.

He was immediately terminated from the job, but you didn’t need me to tell you that.

I’d have sued. Firing for reasons unrelated to his ability to teach.

Ok… before I mention this pet peeve, I want to make a disclaimer or two.

1. I do not see the following pet peeve as a Taiwanese population/cultural problem. I think it is more a Taipei city government problem. Though, it may be an island wide phenomenon. If that is the case, then it is still more a government problem then a cultural one (IMHO). I say this, so I won’t get flamed as closed-minded or some such nonesense (which is what usually happens when someone renews the pet peeve or “what I don’t like about Taiwan” type of threads.

2. This may have appeared in one of the other pet peeve/what I don’t like about Taiwan" threads… but, I ain’t gonna read through all of them. Sorry, Wolf.

So… here goes.

I went to Tian Mu today to meet a friend. Since I got there a bit early, I ambled on over to the Ten Ren store to buy some bubble milk tea (gotta love that stuff). I walked up Zhong Shan Bei Lu, Section 7 for, enjoying the squishiness of my drink. When I was done, I looked around for a place to dispose of my plastic cup.

Do you think I could find even one public trashcan? NOOOOO!!! For a good portion of section 7, there was nary a can in sight. I was tempted to just chuck it in the basket of someone’s bike, as other people had obviously done. But, I abstained and made my way back down Zhong Shan, as it was close to the time to meet my friend.

Now, on section 6, I did find some trashcans… 8 to be exact, all set in front of the Taipei American School and the Taipei Japanese (?) School. I guess the city government thinks the teenagers at these two schools will generate a lot of trash and, therefore, have need of 8 trashcans. But, they don’t seem to think that the rest of the population of Taipei needs any?

Why does this city have such an appalling lack of public trashcans? I hate having to walk blocks just to throw out my trash. It drives me crazy… :fume: :help:

Ok… I feel better now, thanks for your attention.

Time to revive this thread?? I love pet peeves! :smiley:

I recently had some guests at our house (here in the US - they were from Taiwan, not that it should make any difference) who sat oblivious as their two kids tore around the house like maniacs. In addition, the kids kept running into the kitchen and yanking the refrigerator door open. Well, what should happen next, but something that was on top of the refrigerator eventually fell on the kid’s head! (No serious injury, fortunately.) They were quiet after that.

When I was their age, I was NOT allowed to behave in such a way at someone else’s house.