Pet Peeves in Taiwan

[quote=“mjnemesis”]
How it’s OK for kids to spit on, shove or bully other kids[/quote]
How about it being OK for the kids to spit on, shove or bully ADULTS?!!

Oh, and how about the most disgusting escape route from accountability ever invented:

Pai-say

:imp:

I like that stationary stores sell devices designed for the beating of children. I would however prefer it if they had them in larger (adult) sizes… :wink:

Or so-called English teacher’s who cant use apostrophe’s properly

people who don’t know how good they’ve got it. :laughing:

Here are a couple that grab me by the balls and squeeze the bile through my nostrils:

I’m up in the mountains, have tramped far from the roads and clambered over rocks to reach a nice secluded mountain pool. One of many similar pools up and down stream, it is quite small, but I’ve chosen it because there’s no one else around, and I’m enjoying a peaceful swim there. A creepy-looking Taiwanese guy appears. He stands for a while staring at me while I studiously ignore him, focus on my swimming, and hope he’ll go away. He strips down to his skivvies, gets into the water, and starts to swim behind and across me. When he’s facing me, his foul breath skims across the surface of the water and almost makes me retch. Thank God his lack of stamina means that he’ll tire after a few minutes, give up trying to engage my interest, and go. I swim almost every day, and this happens many times every summer. Fortunately, in the winter they’re too wimpy to brave the cold. (Now if only it were a xiaojie, she’d be more than welcome to join me and would receive a far different reception. But it never is. It’s always repulsive guys. Are they gay or what?)

And, same situation of me swimming out in the back of beyond, but this time it’s one of those unspeakably obnoxious, fish-torturing, environmentally destructive “recreational” fishermen (the bane of my life). He stops a few paces upstream from me (even though there’s a long, long stretch of river both upstream and down with many better places for fishing and no one else in sight) and puts up his rod. And then he lights up a stinking fag (they always do) and fills that lovely pure mountain air with a foul, health-destroying stench. Would that I could feed him to the fishes! Grrr…

I always got a chuckle when I go running at the track and the local students think they’ll make fun of the foreigner by running alongside him. After a little sprint and half a lap Im hard-pressed to find where they’ve gone.

With the big push for learning English and so on, I really hate to listen to the Chinese sportscasters who cover events on TV. Particularly the ones for baseball and tennis.
The English-language sportscasters are very knowledgeable about their sport and listening to the color commentary can be enjoyable. But here the sportscasters have about half a dozen phrases they use over and over: Fast ball! Great skill! How unfortunate! Lots of pressure! Wow!
Considering that sports are visual and need no language to understand, why can’t they just broadcast the feed with the original sound?

The football commentaries are even worse. I used to think some of the commentators in the U.K. were pretty bad – cerebrally challenged, to put it kindly. But I never knew how good we had it. Here they just don’t have a clue. I don’t really need them to continually tell me “Hao qiu!”, “Piaoliang!”, and “You jihui”, which is the best they can manage most of the time.

Snooker and pool commentators in Taiwan bug me. There’s one guy who always says the same dull things for each shot. Nothing interesting about the players or the sport.

Mind you, pretty much everything on Taiwan TV stations peeves me. That deserves a whole thread of its own!

Power outlets in the F**KING MIDDLE OF THE WALL!

Squads of noisy slow-moving ‘sound trucks’ which frequently drive around my neighborhood informing us all of some special sale that is on at “Love World” kids clothes store.

In the UK there is the Noise Abatement Society, which is fighting a losing battle against noise pollution in public places. If one was ever established in Taiwan I wouldn’t be surprised if they drove around in sound trucks telling everyone about themselves.
:x

1. A family of five on a scooter … Mom & Dad w/ helmets, but the three small kids unprotected … I don’t think I’ll ever come to terms with that one … I’ve pondered carrying a camera with me, taking pictures of the multiple violators I see EVERY DAY, and taking them down to the police station … I’m sure they’d just give me an odd look and throw them in the trash can, so I guess there’s no point …

2. I agree with an above poster who said that “pai-sei” is the most annoying evasion of accountability … I just cringe when people say that to me … and I must hear it at least half a dozen times every day.

3. People running red lights while the police just stand there with a blank look on their faces.

4. Being almost hit while crossing the street, and the offending car or scooter driver hiding their face when you try to look them in the eye, mistakenly believing that if they can’t see you, you don’t exist … (tuo niao xin tai - the proverbial ostrich with it’s head in the sand).

5. And the biggest one … I’m peeved at myself for getting so peeved about life in Taiwan. :?

Howabout the garbage truck jingle

Nighttime park ninja/stalkers

English barkers

Movies being cut before the credits

Language battles (hearing one is worse than being involved in one)

Asking someone a question in an office and then having the question broadcast loudly to the whole office for an answer.

Coiffed hair

pink lens sunglasses

bands that scream

7-Eleven sandwiches
Niko Mart sandwiches
Family Mart sandwiches
Hi-Life sandwiches

Rave music in shopping malls, grocery stores, etc. I’ll never figure out what possesses them to play dance music at over 140bpm when the customers are mainly dorky family types, or lao tai-tais.

And monkey, I hear you on the convenience store sandwiches. What the hell is with those pink and purple sandwiches, anyway? Actually, baked goods in Taiwan are a travesty. Cakes made with low-quality powdered milk, too much refined sugar in everything, pastries oozing oil, bread so soft it makes having teeth redundant - you can just gum your sandwich to death. Yuck! :imp:

Replacing Starworld (Simpsons; Frasier; Raymond etc) with CCTV.

Edited because it’s back on.

I hate the way adults will sometimes simply stare at a foreigner as if they are looking at an animal in the zoo. :smiling_imp:

:smiley: I always stare at other foreigners, they just look so damn strange.

I have been known to comment “Atogah” and then remembering that I am one too. When I go home I think all the people there look really weird and start looking around for Taiwanese faces.

But my pet peeve is driving in Taiwan… I find myself driving with one hand hovering over the horn in anticipation of some idiot who needs a couple of blasts from the horn. I hate what I am becoming as a driver, if I drive at home now I’m a dead man.

I hate it when cars, trucks and scooters are not driving in the lane they belong so I started to play chicken with them. :imp: Never lost a game yet! :smiley:

Driving here is my pet peeve number one. Road design etc would appear to be increasing gridlock, rather than helping to alleviate it(The Yuanshan interchange at 7:30 PM is a prime example from 5 lanes to 2… result sai che). The small metal reflexes between lanes at the freeways also drive me (nearly)crazy.

Even in Yangmei, I hardly ever notice people staring at me. That’s not a legitimate gripe, I feel.