Pet Peeves

Peeved pets. Always gets my hackles up.
Little dogs that look so cute, but when you reach down to pet them, they start yapping like a loon.

[quote=“rocky raccoon”][quote=“sulavaca”]

My doorman who tells me I have returned home every singe time I return home and that I’m leaving every time I leave. Why?
[/quote]

That reminds me of the security guy at our building. Every day when I walk outside to grab something to eat I get an enthusiastic “chi fan!”.

Like I don’t know when it’s chi fan time. Or at least try and come up with something new to talk about once in a while. :unamused:[/quote]

Those are both just greetings; they’re being nice to you
when he says “chi fan!”, he’s just abbreviating it instead of saying “ni chi fan le mai?” Considering that many doormen are usually pretty surly and barely offer a grunt, I’d say you two are pretty well off. :wink:

[quote=“rocky raccoon”] [quote=“sulavaca”]

My doorman who tells me I have returned home every singe time I return home and that I’m leaving every time I leave. Why?
[/quote]

That reminds me of the security guy at our building. Every day when I walk outside to grab something to eat I get an enthusiastic “chi fan!”.

Like I don’t know when it’s chi fan time.[/quote]

Stating the activity of the other person is a common greeting in Mandarin speaking places. At least that’s what my textbook says. I’m sure sjcma will be along to correct me.

To join in the fray, these are things that piss me right off:

1. Taiwanese who don’t obey their own country’s laws. Mostly this is about drivers (morons who stop on or plough through crosswalks, weaving like they are drunk, etc.) but it applies to other things as well, such as buttheads smoking where it’s prohibited, littering, et cetera. I’m not perfect, but there’s a reason why I’ve never been arrested in the seven countries I’ve been in.

2. Foreigners who don’t say hi. My social circle is small, but at the very least I look foreigners in the eye and nod my head, if not more like a wave or a “hi”. Are these people so stir-crazy from being here that they are terrified of other foreigners?

3. Taiwanese and foreigner smoking, if you couldn’t tell from the other thread about it. It’s bad enough that they do it, but in public bathrooms? While they cook food in restaurants? In the back rooms of the Wellcome market and other stores? Standing in the doorways of buildings? Drivers in taxis? Come on, a little courtesy and a little brainpower please.

4. People who won’t shut up when they should. This is in general (not to any social or ethnic group) but is also not in general (I’m talking about specific situations). When someone asks me a question, they should STFU while I’m answering - if a person doesn’t want to hear my answer, he/she shouldn’t waste my time by asking it. Here are my three cardinal rules of conversation:
    (a) You listen with the ears, not with the mouth.
    (b) They (mouth and ears) do not work at the same time.
    (c) If you’re not ready to listen, you’re not ready to talk.
    I have a moron for a co-worker who incessantly wastes my time because she doesn’t like my answers. The idiot “thinks” if she repeats it often enough that I’ll tell her what she wants to hear or the thing she asks for will magically appear. I don’t care how many times she asks, if somebody else (her or others) don’t provide me with information or materials to do a task, I can’t do that task. For example, she was pestering me all week about why I haven’t made my students write a Flyers tests or marked it when nobody has given me the tests to hand out to students, including her and others who have the masters copy and have not made any copies. It’s truly astounding.

Sleepyhead. I never talked to random furriner boys in the street. They might have been Canadian!

Well, if you say “hi” first, I’ll probably reply “hi”. (But I make no guarantees seeing as I was raised by lemurs and such.) But there is no way in hell I’m going to randomly say hi to foreigners, or nod at them, or yell “howdy bud!”, just because they are foreigners. I’m not terrified of them. I’m just trying avoid feeding a pet peeve of mine:

“Oh you’re from X. So and so is also from X. Do you know him?”

For X of small cardinality, that’s a sensible question. But otherwise
 “Oh, you’re from Canada. Jimmy is also from Canada. Do you know him?” I’m tempted to reply: “Sure, Canada is the size of a small village. I’m the village idiot and Jimmy is the sheriff.” And then see whether the sarcasm registers with them.

So just to avoid feeding that nonsense, I’m specifically avoiding looking like I’m buddy with all the random foreigners I run into.

[quote=“Sleepyhead”]
I have a moron for a co-worker who incessantly wastes my time because she doesn’t like my answers. The idiot “thinks” if she repeats it often enough that I’ll tell her what she wants to hear or the thing she asks for will magically appear.[/quote]

Here’s a peeve of mine, probably related to yours.

Her: “We can go to restaurant A or restaurant B. Which one do you want to go to?”

Me: “I don’t care. Pick one.”

Her: “Noooo
 you pick one.”

Me: “Okay, restaurant B.”

Her: “You want to go to restaurant B
 Ooooh
 I want to go to restaurant A. [pouts]”

Me: “Bloody hell! If you made a choice already, why the hell did you ask me?”

Basically, if you’ve already made your fscking mind about something why ask for my advice and then reject it because it does not correspond to your choice?

[quote=“lemur”]Here’s a peeve of mine, probably related to yours.

Her: “We can go to restaurant A or restaurant B. Which one do you want to go to?”

Me: “I don’t care. Pick one.”

Her: “Noooo
 you pick one.”

Me: “Okay, restaurant B.”

Her: “You want to go to restaurant B
 Ooooh
 I want to go to restaurant A. [pouts]”

Me: “Bloody hell! If you made a choice already, why the hell did you ask me?”

Basically, if you’ve already made your fscking mind about something why ask for my advice and then reject it because it does not correspond to your choice?[/quote]
Yes, this drives me nuts. My ex did it to me all the time! :raspberry: :fume:

Here’s another. I have a lot of ex stories!

Me: “A strange thing happened to me today. I was walking along the street and
”

Her: “Are you going to wear that?”

Me: “Uh
 yes, of course, that’s why I have it on. Anyway, as I was saying, I was walking along the street and this crazy-looking guy approaches me and
”

Her: “You should tuck your shirt in.”

Me: “Please, listen to me. As I was saying, this weirdo comes up to me and starts blabbering about
”

Her: “Does this make me look fat?”

Me: sigh

[quote=“Sleepyhead”]

1. People who won’t shut up when they should. This is in general (not to any social or ethnic group) but is also not in general (I’m talking about specific situations). When someone asks me a question, they should STFU while I’m answering - if a person doesn’t want to hear my answer, he/she shouldn’t waste my time by asking it. Here are my three cardinal rules of conversation:
    (a) You listen with the ears, not with the mouth.
    (b) They (mouth and ears) do not work at the same time.
    © If you’re not ready to listen, you’re not ready to talk.
    I have a moron for a co-worker who incessantly wastes my time because she doesn’t like my answers. The idiot “thinks” if she repeats it often enough that I’ll tell her what she wants to hear or the thing she asks for will magically appear. I don’t care how many times she asks, if somebody else (her or others) don’t provide me with information or materials to do a task, I can’t do that task. For example, she was pestering me all week about why I haven’t made my students write a Flyers tests or marked it when nobody has given me the tests to hand out to students, including her and others who have the masters copy and have not made any copies. It’s truly astounding.[/quote]

Sounds like virtually every American I’ve met. I’m to trying to be an asshole, but every single American I’ve met in Taiwan talks over me and doesn’t listen to a word I’m saying. They never ask you about yourself, just rant on (always loudly, too) about themselves and their opinions. And everyone wants to have a go at the poor Canadians! They are positively demure by comparison.

Why do you do this? DO you do it when you’re back home in Canookialand? I’m perplexed. Do you mutter to yourself and wave your arms around angrily while you walk along, too? I’ve never been in the habit of nodding and saying hi to random strangers in the street and to me it just sounds bloody strange, if not a little unsettling.
It doesn’t terrify me, but it sure as hell has me checking my peripheral for escape routes or sizing the fellow up for a chinning if he tries anything on.
“Hiya pal, got a light?” Classic opening for a mugger. :laughing:

Yeah. You don’t feel compelled to nod and smile at every foreigner you see in Carnegie’s or the Brass Monkey, so why would you do it in the street? Not as if we foreigners are Freemasons or something. And, god forbid, the person might actually be American! Don’t encourage them with a nod and smile. They might follow you around all day and embarrass you in the 7-11 barking the three Chinese words that they know for all to hear!

[quote=“Chris”]Her: “Does this make me look fat?”

Me: sigh
[/quote]

Let me first quote an obligatory clichĂ©: “It’s a trap!” :runaway:

Now as to the proper course of action, maybe first you sigh but then you better find a way to avoid answering that question because there is no good answer to it.

You: Yes, baby, it makes you look fat.

Her: You’re saying I am fat! Bastard! :fume:

You: No, baby, it does not make you look fat.

Her: Liar! :fume:

You: I don’t have an opinion.

Her: You no longer look at me like you used to. You don’t find me desirable anymore. :cry:

Pray for an opportune diversion. :pray: Absent a diversion, be prepared to simulate a stroke because there’s no way you can answer correctly.

Student: Please translate this file.

Me: OK. Do you have any other files for me to translate?

Student: No.

Me: OK, let’s get started. (work, work, work
 type type type
 check electronic dictionary
 Google for English names of companies
 ask student what a phrase means
 oh, it’s a typo
 work work work
 almost done! Half an hour till next student comes
maybe I’ll have time for some lunch.)

Me: OK, done! Here’s your copy of the file. Please go sign over there.

Student: Oh, I also have this other file for you to translate.

Me: :fume:

Me: So, what was your major?
Student: My 
 major?
Me: Yes, what did you major in? What subject did you study?
Student: Uhhh
 math, chemistry, organic chemistry, biology, biochemistry

Me: Um, you’re just listing the courses you took. What was your major subject?
Student: I don’t know what you mean

Me: (shouting to consultant across the room) Hey, Julie, what did he major in?
Julie: (shouting back from across the room) Biology.
Me: Thanks! You majored in biology.
Student: Oh.

:fume:

How can one graduate from a four-year university and not know what one majored in?

(And just try asking a student if their degree was a Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science
 “Oh, Bachelor of Biology I think”, “Oh, I studied science, so it must be a Bachelor of Science”
 aaaaaarggghhh!)

[quote=“Chris”]
(And just try asking a student if their degree was a Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science
 “Oh, Bachelor of Biology I think”
[/quote]

Bachelor of Biology? That’s funny. If that’s the case then I wish I could have gotten a Master’s in Dodgeball.

And today (related to one of the above posts):

Me: Hello.
Student: Hi. (Sits silently.)
Me: Your files, please. Then we can get started.
Student: Oh. (Searches for USB stick, finds it, gives it to me)
Me: All righty then. Which files need to be translated?
Student: Let’s start with this one.
Me: Any others? I see you’re scheduled for three pages. This one is two pages. Which file is the third page?
Student: (silent)
Me: :astonished: So, you’ve just got this one file to translate? Two pages only today?
Me: :unamused: OK, then. Two pages it is. Unless you have another file that needs to be translated.

Then the consultant who handles the student’s case happens to walk in from lunch.

Me: Hey Emily! He’s scheduled for 3 pages. This file is two pages. What’s the third?
Emily: His resume.
Me: Sigh
 :noway: (Copies resume from student’s USB drive and begins work.)

:fume: :raspberry:

You should surreptitiously add at the bottom of his resume:

Cannot communicate effectively.
Cannot count to three.

One of my ongoing pet peeves is when Taiwanese say “dwei” or “dwei, dwei, dwei” in response to something they have just said or told you. WTF? Are you trying to convince yourself that what you said is right or accurate? :loco:

Someone please tell me I’m not the only one who notices this.

[quote=“Mer”]One of my ongoing pet peeves is when Taiwanese say “dwei” or “dwei, dwei, dwei” in response to something they have just said or told you. WTF? Are you trying to convince yourself that what you said is right or accurate? :loco:

Someone please tell me I’m not the only one who notices this.[/quote]
Gotta love “hao” or “hao, hao, hao” after every statement or answer.

[quote=“Mer”]One of my ongoing pet peeves is when Taiwanese say “dwei” or “dwei, dwei, dwei” in response to something they have just said or told you. WTF? Are you trying to convince yourself that what you said is right or accurate? :loco:

Yeah. It drives me crazy. It does it does it does.

Well, it’s kind of like in English: when one person is talking, the listener says “mm hmm”, “uh huh”, etc. to express that they’re actively listening. So it doesn’t mean “yes” or “right”; it means “I’m still listening
 please continue.”

What drives me nuts is “hao, hao, hao,
 ho! ho! ho!.. hao, hao, hao,
 ho! ho! ho!” (switching from Mandarin to Taiwanese and back.)