Pet Peeves

The friggin habit of leaving everything to the last minute…

.facebook_1411189406934 by Bolita5, on Flickr

Let’s just say my patriotism is at a low point…

People can actually be fined for that. If you are that bothered by it, you can call the police and report it.

Who told Taiwanese that that mass of white spongy stickiness they call “cheese cake” can be called “cheese cake”?! Because it allegedly has what has been labeled “cheese” doe snot make it a “cheesecake”, please!!!

I hear you. The first time I bit into a slice, I felt like I’d been slapped with an iron gauntlet. I almost spit it all over the face of the nice friend who gave it to me.

Of course, when they taste a real cheesecake, they say “Oh, it’s too rich and sweet” as they take a swig on their “tea drink,” which contains enough high fructose corn syrup to kill a horse.

I fell for the ‘tempting’ slice of cheesecake last week - happens about once a year. The effect takes about 9 months to wear off. It’s like eating cotton, goddam awful stuff.

I think “doe snot” is one of the better typos I’ve seen lately. Not just snot, not just deer snot - doe snot!

[quote=“Icon”]There are days and then there are days… I really try to hold on to Zen. This is the only way:

[/quote]

Agree, my first two years in Taiwan were hell because I cared too much. But after I didn’t give a crap, I was a lot happier. I’d rush the train/MRT for that last seat. block the entrance, u know. Do what locals do. When in Taiwan, do as the Taiwanese and you’ll be a lot happier. haha

30km/h, electric scoot, no helmet, smartphone on the go - what could possibly go wrong :loco:.
I swear if it was raining they could manage to hold an umbrella at the same time.

I think “doe snot” is one of the better typos I’ve seen lately. Not just snot, not just deer snot - doe snot![/quote]

Is it just me, or is it really annoying when you speak Chinese to Taiwanese people here, and I mean reasonably fluent Chinese with good pronunciation, and they feel the need to respond with broken English that on my most patient day I couldn’t understand.

If a foreigner initiates a conversation in English, by all means help them out if you can and respond in English. But if it’s apparent from the get go that they have put in the effort to learn the local language, why is that still taken as a cue to “practise” broken English with the white face standing in front of them?

Traveling from Taiwan -heck, even in Taiwan- as a foreigner is a hassle. Why is everything regarding Taiwan and travel so different? Visas are a hassle -OK, no diplomatic ties, I get it- but buying tickets to attractions?! No, you have to purchase the tour and they add the tickets.

In Taiwan? Which attractions? Could you elaborate?

In Taiwan? Which attractions? Could you elaborate?[/quote]

No, the attractions are abroad. If I was in the US or the ol country, JBT sells tickets to attractions like museums in Japan, no problem. This is highly recommended -even by specialized travel websites- as some places sell out quickly and the offices abroad have specific amounts of tickets to be sold and you have a better chance of at least getting a place. But Taiwan sells only tours. The clerk acknowledged/confirmed it.

OK with transportation, but time at the museum is limited, and I am not too keen on that. Price is reasonable but still, why is it always different for Taiwan?

OK, I know this is being too much of a pain, but… I really hate when guys, especially handsome guys, good looking guys, guys you would otherwise like so much, catch that modern style in which they wear their clothes like:

Shirt
Flash of skin
Underwear
Belt
Low hanging pants -and I mean so low the piku disappears…

In that order from top to bottom…

Sigh

I hate my work mail. I can’t open it on a good day because it crashes. In bad days I forget what is the password -or won’t key it in properly- as the system forces you to change it every 2 months, and ahs one of those requirements that read like:

yet, when you finally open it, it is mostly spam, malaware and outright click here and infect your computer stuff. :fume:

My work email has some fuckery going on with it so that only students get an error message and cannot email me. Fucking jackpot, right? However, my boss has decided this cannot continue, so I’ve been having some back and forth with IT of a particularly catch 22 nature. Hopefully they’ll persist in their confusion 'til after the exam period.

Now I need to get the knobbers who send messages to the entire mailing list to sell their IKEA crap banished from Outlook.

Now we have a new photo load system that requires, and I kid you not, clicking on like 12 items before loading up the required picture. However, to enter this 12 Zodiac menu, you have to do a freaky computer command dance that reminds me of those Japanese dance game moves -you actually have to click simultaneously on two keys or it doesn’t work seriously- and the Indiana Jones and the Holy Grail Walk -and I do not mean the one on faith, but where you have to step on the right letter or the whole thing collapses and you fall to your doom.

I actually had the guts to complain to the computer expert, “HAO FUZZA!!!”, who replied that anyways they will change companies soon and we will have a new system to learn how to use… :wall:

My tribulations with the IT people have reached a new low… First, well, they have changed companies more often than Icon changes her shirts in summer, so you never know who is in charge or where to find them. Then, as this is done by “public tender” -rather open bid I’d say… so every year it gets lower and lower -less and less money paid-, hence the lower and lower quality of service too. That I understand.

What I cannot abide is that someone who supposedly has a degree in computing science actually tells me to “refresh” every time I input something… I mean, it is the equivalent of “turn it off and on”… :wall: :cry:

Young people who stand over you on the subway with the approximate stability of Gumby on a sand dune

1 Like

A one hour meeting that starts late and lasts two hours.