Pet Scams

As you all know I have been working as part of a group helping stray animals in Ilan. I am in the process of trying to rehome one and decided to post an ad on www.petfinders.com. So I open my email today and there were four replies. All of them total scams. The guy that runs the site told me they have alot of Nigerian scammers and 401 scams. The latter I have no idea what he’s talking about. So now I’m troubled that I will never be able not to worry about Xiao Hei if he goes to a home somewhere. I’ve simply grown too attached to the mutt. What can I do? That sneaky three legged one stole my heart.

It’s a 491 which refers to the Nigerian law that the scammers are breaking. Anyone who wants Xiao Hei can still contact you, but unfortunately some nasty people also got your email address from that site. I guess that that website made your email address visible to everyone. Notice how your email address is not visible on forumosafieds.com

Nay lad, they don’t want your dog. They just harvest sites like that for email addresses to which they send their scam letters. Usually they’re a relative of a prince or a government official who’s in exile and has millions of dollars that they can’t get because of regulations.
The idea is that they offer you a percentage in return for your bank details and such and possibly a few hundred bucks to grease the wheels.
Of course, you’ll never see a penny and could lose all your money if you’re gullible.
Google 419 scam for more info, or check out http://www.ebolamonkeyman.com for some funny stories about how some people turn the tables on these guys as a hobby.
But don’t worry about Xiao Hei!

I thought that because they all wanted to use a company to pick up the dog, they would scam some money for delivery some how, then dump the dog. I knew it was a scam, but couldn’t work out how. The English was hilarious!

[quote=“sandman”]Nay lad, they don’t want your dog. They just harvest sites like that for email addresses to which they send their scam letters. Usually they’re a relative of a prince or a government official who’s in exile and has millions of dollars that they can’t get because of regulations.
The idea is that they offer you a percentage in return for your bank details and such and possibly a few hundred bucks to grease the wheels.
Of course, you’ll never see a penny and could lose all your money if you’re gullible.
Google 419 scam for more info, or check out http://www.ebolamonkeyman.com for some funny stories about how some people turn the tables on these guys as a hobby.
But don’t worry about Xiao Hei![/quote]

On that ebola monkey man site at least one of the scam artists used the Shanghai bank on Minchuen East Road and Jong Shan N. Road as the bank to transfer funds to.