Peter Zeihan's Latest "I don't know what I'm talking about" video

Care to elaborate?

This is probably the least wrong Zeihan take ever.

Talent shortage? There are IIT grads without jobs.

Also, Foxconn pulled out because they are shady and they do that all the time.

I’ve had awful experiences hiring Indian “IT grads”, as have a couple of other people of my acquaintance. A degree does not equate to talent, or even the most basic ability to get up in the morning, switch on your PC, and pretend to do some work. I’m sure there are plenty of conscientious, talented tech people in India, but perhaps not enough to actually maintain a technology industry.

Not “IT”, IIT as in Indian Institute of Technology. They are on par with Tsinghua and JiaoTong.

2 Likes

ah, ok! I thought that was a typo.

Nevertheless, Zeihan’s basic point seems reasonable - people who are genuinely talented are simply going to leave, and what you’ve got left and those who … well, are unemployable, for whatever reason.

The issue about capital, and where you position yourself in the global market, also seems valid. Why on earth would India want to invest in an already saturated niche (midrange digital ICs, as far as I can make out from the video)? There are plenty of things that, I’m sure, India could do very well indeed. Semiconductor manufacturing seems a bit of a non-starter.

2 Likes

Agreed. Also there are no real shortcuts. In the end they need to move up the value chain step by step and it’s probably too soon for something like semiconductors.

1 Like

20 percent of the world’s IC design talent resides in India.

Is that why they jumped from the farm to coding without transitioning through a factory?

The economy as a whole hasn’t transitioned into coding. They are still poor. That’s why Foxconn jobs make sense in India.