PhD Grad Not Feeling the Love from Taiwan Academia

I have a PhD (you wouldn’t believe the kind of riff-raff getting ’em these days) in the humanities from what claims to be a top 50 uni. Glowing reference letters from professors keen to make sure their most eccentric student stay put on a distant island where they can enjoy him from a safe distance. I even have a clean police record! (if you’re gonna bump someone off and bury ’em in a pine forest, cover your traces. That’s my motto.) I have a contract for the obligatory pear-reviewed deathly dull monograph as well as other publications.

I’ve applied for a few academic positions here in Taiwan and have had no reply (I’ve applied for a couple more recently, but I’m not holding my breath). Trying to ingratiate myself with the natives, I submitted papers to a number of crappy but allegedly pear-reviewed Taiwanese journals but didn’t even get a rejection email. I applied to 中央研究院 (Academentia Cynica) for their postdoc program, into which I really would’ve loved to be accepted, but didn’t make the reserve list (it wasn’t personal: with the exception – if I remember correctly – of an Indian name or two in Chemistry, there were no successful applicants with non-Chinese names (i.e. presumably they were all Taiwanese).

Taiwan is what it is. I realise that in the name of misguided internationalism, Taiwanese universities are unlikely to allow a foreigner to lecture in Chinese and that, given the English comprehension ability of most Taiwanese university students, a foreign professor in the humanities in Taiwan is therefore above all an ESL teacher. And as an ESL teacher, it’s true, I’m not very competitive. I haven’t taught much ESL and don’t have any ESL qualifications. On these criteria, an experienced Taiwanese or foreign candidate with an ESL-related Masters is objectively much stronger. Not being an American, and not having a PhD from a famous uni like Harvard or Cambridge, might also be factors (but I have no idea what goes through their minds). Of course I could just bugger off and get a job in the West or in China, but for certain reasons I’m stuck here for the time being, alas, like a sad sad stick in the mud.

Is there anything I could do to make myself sexier in the eyes of Taiwanese universities? Are there other foreigners here who have pulled off the feat? Should I enclose nude photos of myself with my applications? A signed cheque? Publish another boring book or two? Or should I just resign myself to working in the booshy barns, although I really don’t want to? I don’t care about money or prestige (not much of that in Taiwanese academia, anyway). I do like kids (but couldn’t eat a whole one). It’s just that I don’t think I’d make an outstanding kindy or primary teacher (loud noises startle me) and as for teaching English to older students – as a polyglot and strictly free-range intellectual chickadee myself, I really dislike classroom language instruction and the dreadful barns in particular. I’d much rather work at 7-11 (I’m a hundred percent serious) but I don’t speak Taiwanese and a Caucasian working at a 7-11… they’d have to call the riot police to control the crowd of gawking onlookers.

1 Like

“… I submitted papers to a number of crappy but allegedly pear-reviewed Taiwanese journals but didn’t even get a rejection email.”

Call me a snob, but I submit only to banana-reviewed journals.

Seriously, it’s demographics. Low birth rate + absurd expansion of universities in the 1990s means that there are too many professors and classrooms, not enough students. Even locals have to look elsewhere.

3 Likes

大專校院外籍專任教師數-依研究類別(學門)查詢
https://stats.moe.gov.tw/qframe.aspx?qno=MgAyADMA0

教3-1.外籍專任教師數-以「系(所)」統計
https://udb.moe.edu.tw/DetailReportList/教職類/StatForeignTeacher/Index

https://udb.moe.edu.tw/DetailReportList/教職類

(I think link is fixed.)

1 Like

Maybe that’s why?

1 Like

ya link don’t work

Ouch. Kick a man when he’s down why don’t you. I know I made a bad decision in life. Thing is, Taiwan universities do have humanities departments and do employ staff…

1 Like

International high school is an option. Better than mighty booshy barding and has the option of teaching subjects besides ESL.

1 Like

I thought international high schools’ required a teacher’s certificate from the home country? Maybe I’m wrong?

Sorry couldn’t help myself. But i would imagine humanities isn’t a huge department here vs the West.

At @geajvop metioned. I believe you can teach in international high school with just a degree. PHD is a plus.

1 Like

No worries, happens all the time :kissing:

Seriously tho, what I did in college was to contact some 50 researchers and ask them about their job and how they landed their position. And it took me 37 seconds to find the mail address of a non-Taiwanese prof in the humanities in Taiwan. Just saying.

Lorem ipsum dolor, etc. . . . (text per the rules):

https://stats.moe.gov.tw/search.aspx?qno=MgAyADYA0

1 Like

9 North Americans and 1 African doing 人文 in Taiwan. There’s hope for me yet!

Define “top 50.” Top 50 in Canada?

Hey! That pic of the meme kid was uncalled for, man :frowning_face: (stands on barrel, weeping with emotion, addressing an indifferent crowd: but without the humanities, wouldn’t we all be just that little bit less human?__

Nah, top 50 on Planet Earth… according to the dubious QS rankings, that is…

Just took a look, and I gotta say, that list looks dodgy as hell. Two Singapore schools at 11 and 12? :open_mouth:

The American School in Tianmu definitely doesn’t require a teaching certificate.

There are international high schools and then there are high schools that happen to be located in international places. I’d say most of the ones in Taiwan are the latter. Though a Ph.D will not replace a teaching certificate if a certificate is required (don’t ask me how I know, US$5000 later…)

I thought the whole concept was rather misguided and never looked at the list before. Dodgy, yes. I raised my eyebrow a few times going through the top 100! Tai “Duh” Da at 73! The lion king on their website doesn’t inspire much confidence, either. There’s another rankings list, the Shanghai Ranking List:
http://www.shanghairanking.com/index.html