PhD Grad Not Feeling the Love from Taiwan Academia

Well yes, if you have a PhD they’ll waive the poxy teaching cert. requirement. :sunglasses:

To add my 2 kuais, my Taiwanese adviser, an associate professor at a reputed Taiwanese uni, with some 20 years of experience, is earning in a month as much as I make part-time as a teaching assistant in the US. In France the CNRS claims that with experience you can reach the 3~6k, but I don’t see that in my Taiwanese lab.

There isn’t a teaching certification requirement. At least, not for the Middle and Upper School.

In US, teachers licence seems not to be mandatory for private schools.

Lol what? Experienced professors in Taiwan can’t even make 3k usd? Idk about other fields but the post-docs in our lab are making 61-65k a month, hard to imagine they won’t get a raise if they become professors.

Did I actually say that? :flushed: Oops, sorry. What I meant to say was something like “I’m not gonna piss into a pond that powers a mill that grinds young minds into pulp…”

Well that joke fell flat on its face ̶ ̶(̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶n̶o̶w̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶l̶o̶o̶k̶s̶ ̶A̶s̶i̶a̶n̶)̶ I meant by contrast to France, where as everyone knows a Coco Chanel dress, a Hermes scarf and a long-stemmed black cigarette holder are de rigueur for teachers… And that’s just for the guys . Taiwan isn’t the only place with a relaxed dress code. The former prime minister of a certain convict colony cum country of sheep enthusiasts used to conduct important meetings while wearing only a device for smuggling budgerigars (lubya Aussies, mwah, mwah)

hawke

Okay. That’s enough of this thread.

I’ve come to the conclusion that OP’s unique personality may also have a part in his trouble finding a job.

6 Likes

Flattering, but wrong. I can pass myself off, when necessary, for someone with no personality at all.

OP may want to dial back the humor, esp. the racist humor.

4 Likes

C’mon. Credit where credit is due. The guy’s a Rhodes scholar, FFS … and he owned the world record for skulling beer from a yard glass, to boot. What could be better than that?

There are contexts in which a racist joke can be “reasonably construed” as containing no racist intent. At the risk Of explaining the blindingly obvious, I was expressing surprise that a tongue in cheek comment about taiwanese profs lecturing in flip flops and singlet had been taken seriously. It was in this context that I made an even more outrageous, deliberately idiotic joke, the implication being something like "you took the flip flops joke seriously, surely you’re not going to take this seriously too, are you? I had the joke crossed out but visible, thus distancing myself from it while “daring” people to express misplaced indignation. For good measure, I also threw in a couple of ludicrous stereotypes about French people and Australians. If someone wants to stick a “weirdo” label on me, I’ll wear it with pride. But the “racist” label won’t stick.

Nevertheless, your point is well taken and ill tone down the humor, especially where it’s possibly going to be misinterpreted. I wouldn’t want the more serious points I was making to become obscured

1 Like

There’s a definite pecking order with profs in Taiwan too. The ones that I knew in academia sinica were almost all PhDs from overseas, taught overseas and then recruited back. Salary was a lot lower than the US (but still good for Taiwan) but they had accommodation for themselves and family and decent benefits, significantly lower livng costs and probably less pressure too.

The govt has a program now to raise the top 500 profs salaries …Something like that anyway.

Pay is low in Taiwan compared to overseas but it’s not terrible for Taiwan either. The top profs get a lot more also. Lots of them have side gigs for companies too.

University senior vice president Chen Sin-horng (陳信宏) said a professor in Taiwan earns NT$100,000 per month on average, while a new assistant professor is paid between NT$60,000 and NT$80,000, which is much lower than in other nations, and could make it harder to retain talent.

If we look at pay rates for most folks Taiwan looks like a poor country .

It’s not a poor country, but the salaries are saying something else.

To supplement @Brianjones 's helpful posts about developments at NCTU for top-level profs and the extra pay (around NT$5000/month) recently provided by the MOE to full professors across Taiwan, here’s an explanation of another scheme that’s now in place at NTU to boost the meagre pay packets for incoming assistant professors at this university:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gzeDqqbkLk

Guy

You got a problem with budgie smugglers, moite?
212259-tony-abbott-091130

He was a Rhodes Scholar too…

I’ve known several foreigners teaching in the humanities here, one even had a barely credible degree. I even heard of one guy in the east who got a job at a small university and worked for almost a year before it was discovered he had a diploma mill degree. It is possible to get a job, but you have to keep at it and hope for an opening. Even so, I have a friend who taught for years at a university but much prefers teaching high school because it’s a lot less work and he can work full-time.

I worked in ITRI for a bit, the pay on offer was signficantly better than for most foreign assistant profs / ESL teachers, jobs was not onerous , but the leave period was something like 7 days per year starting and the boredom factor was high . I didn’t last long there.
Still it’s another option for people with PhDs out there, I knew some scientists who stayed for years.
I think if you are married and a bit of a track record in science and engineering its probably not too hard to land a gig there. I don’t even have a PhD.
Humanities grads…they might have positions of some sort.

Salaries are also substantially lower for private schools – and the more prestigious, generally the more they seem to rip off their teachers.

That’s the gross minimum wage. The net is 11xx euro.

Probably because the youth unemployment is >20% and because the cost of school is effectively 0. Or maybe 20 euro for the student union fees.

Aka 2-4k after tax. Roughly the same rates as researchers at the Academia Sinica and professors at public unis.