Philippine passport holders no longer eligible for visa-free entry

I just noticed this today at http://www.boca.gov.tw/mp.asp. Maybe it’s already been posted elsewhere on the forum?

It is part of the 11 sanctions taken by the Gov’t due to the shooting incident.

[quote]The administration of President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) yesterday froze Philippine worker applications, recalled Taiwan’s representative to the Philippines and asked the Philippine representative to Taiwan to return to Manila amid a row over the killing of a Taiwanese fisherman.

The eight measures proposed yesterday morning by the government after a national security meeting, are issuing a travel warning that discourages Taiwanese from traveling to the Philippines, the suspension of high-level meetings at the World Health Assembly, the suspension of economic exchanges, the suspension of cooperation on agriculture and fisheries, the suspension of cooperation on technology, the suspension of negotiations on air space rights, the suspension of the visa-free program for Philippine nationals and that Taiwan would hold military exercises in disputed waters.
[/quote]
taipeitimes.com/News/front/a … 2003562376

I thought that Phil passport holders only had visa free entry IF they also have a visa to the USA or Europe? Thats what Indo passport holders got.

IIRC , one goes online and applies online. Then you get multiple entry , valid for total stay of 30 days with each application. Application is free. But the caveat is that the passport holder HAS TO HAVE a valid USA or Western European Visa as well.

So its of little use to the average Phil passport holder in the first place. As most of them will NOT be also carrying a visa to the USA/ Western Europe.

So the impact is limited with the average PHil citizen.

HOwever, TW wins no friends because the ones that DO have a USA / Western European visa as well, would be the movers and shakers in the Phil economy (the ones with money). And this would be alienating the “wrong” crowd. As these are the very people who “could make a difference”.

I understand that the govt has backed down on this position. The Taiwan govt welcomes the investigation. As near as can be determined, there was one ever beaver soldier who started strafing and was joined by another. The unfortunate result was the death of one Taiwanese sailor. At first, the official line was that the fishing boat was trying to ram the Philly ship. Of course, that’s ludicrous seeing as many have, that the fishing boats are lucky to float!
As near as I can determine is that the whole damn mess was a couple of trigger happy sailors whom are now no doubt in a world of caca for opening fire without orders. Also, radar clearly shows that the fishing boat was not trying to ram the Philly boat.
What sticks in the Taiwan govt’s craw is the lack of an apology and compensation to the family.
I think anyone who has been in a war understands that there are gun happy members. Philly could walk easily away from this with an apology, disciple of the shooters and family compensation.
This is becoming a mountain out of a VERY unfortunate incident. JMHO