PIC QUIZ ROUND 6 (Where is this? What happened there?)

Definitely one of the …stans

1 Like

No

and no

Kazakhstan?

1 Like

yes.

Now, who?

Hint 1. The horses are in Kazakhstan.

How about Nur-Sultan?

no. Not that recent person.

Pavlodar, then?

The name Pavlodar means The Gift of Paul, and was chosen to commemorate the birth of the Grand Duke Paul Alexandrovich of Russia.

Kanysh Satbayev?

NOs

Satbayev is geographically the closest guess so far.

Though, the person I’m asking is centuries earlier.

Ridder?

the person I’m asking is centuries earlier, and its location got colder.

During my research, I find out many cities in Kazakhstan had changed names, some more than once.
Is the the name you’re looking for still the same today?

yes and no. The name was changed several times, and the latest two names refer to the same person.

Do you need a hint?

Hint 2: the horses are in the southern part of the country.

Turkistan, then?

Throughout most of the medieval and early-modern period it was known as Iasy or Shavgar and after the 16th-17th centuries as Turkistan or Hazrat, both of which names derive from the title ‘Hazrat-i Turkistan’, which literally means “the Saint (or Blessed One) of Turkistan” and refers to Khoja Akhmet Yassawi, the Sufi Sheikh of Turkistan, who lived here during the 11th century CE and is buried in the town.

1 Like

иә! (or ha!)

Btw, I found people got some real prizes for this kind of quiz back then on this forum.

1 Like

Back when?

Back then.

1 Like

let’s update the LB

LEADERBOARD

:grapes: __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ DR MILKER (:1st_place_medal: :1st_place_medal: :1st_place_medal: :1st_place_medal: :2nd_place_medal: :three::six::four:)
:raised_back_of_hand:
:red_square: __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ RICKROLL (:1st_place_medal: :2nd_place_medal: :3rd_place_medal: :one::seven::seven:)
:zimbabwe: :zambia: :vanuatu: :turkmenistan: :sao_tome_principe: :bangladesh: :maldives: :madagascar: __ __ GEAJVOP (:one::two::two:)
:zimbabwe: :zambia: :vanuatu: :turkmenistan: :sao_tome_principe: :bangladesh: __ __ __ __ HANNES (:2nd_place_medal: :one::one::one:)
:zimbabwe: :zambia: :vanuatu: :turkmenistan: __ __ __ __ __ __ SLAWA (:four:)
:zimbabwe: :zambia: :vanuatu: :turkmenistan: __ __ __ __ __ __ TANDO (:six::two:)
:zimbabwe: :zambia: :vanuatu: __ __ __ __ __ __ __ KAVALAN (:three:)

My turn:

1. Misery
  2. Agony
  3. Torment
  4. Affliction
  5. Desolation

Name the church for a bonus point.