Competition: Closest guess and win a free lunch!

Remember the old “Guess how many” competitions?

Well, here is a :noway:
free
:noway: competition you can enter, with a chance to win a genuine prize.

I have a square glass thing sitting beside the bed, that I have been putting coins in for 2 years. The poster to guess the closest amount (without going over) wins a weekend lunch from me (and with me) at Carnegies.

Here are some photos:

The glass thing is 14cmx14cm square, and stands 15.5cm tall.
The glass is about .5cm thick on the sides and about 1.5cm-2cm thick at the base.

It weighs 12.8kg, including the coins, the glass, and the 7-11 receipt. (It’s really heavy)

It mainly contains taiwanese coins, but I think there is some Singapore, NZ, Canadian, US and Australians coins - but not many.
There is a zip head in there that came off my snowboard pants one time, and I have been meaning to figure out how to put it back on.
The receipt number is 53923981, and was for $69nt worth of stuff yesterday.
I put in an average of about 30-50nt per day I guess. Over the last 2 years I have taken plenty of coins out of it, mainly for the highway tolls, and sometimes the bus or scooter gas. I have used it to buy things at the 7-11 too, but generally I just take out the 50nt coins if I’m going to do that.
The glass thing came from IKEA.

The rules:
3 guesses per poster (not necessarily all at once)
Bonus points for guessing the foreign currency. (handy if there is a tie breaker required)
The prize is to be redeemed at a mutually agreeable time between Truant and the winner. Preferably some time when sitting out on the balcony at Carnegies for an hour or two is agreeable.
Prize value to 500nt or somewhere around there.
The winner can bring whoever they want to lunch at their own expense.
The prize can be donated to AnimalsTaiwan.org if so requested.
The competition closes in a week or so, when everyone that wants to has had a guess. I’ll give a day or two warning before the big count up.

Important: You can ask any question you like to help determine your most accurate guess, but I will not remove the coins until the count up. I will try to answer as best as I can according to the calibre of the question.

Enjoy! :slight_smile:

75c in cd$

Oh yeah, you don’t have to make your guesses all at once - just in case you want to gauge the competition.

Is it OK to go back and edit :smiley:

Is it OK to go back and edit :smiley:[/quote]
sure why not. Editing allowed until the cutoff.

Brilliant game. Bloody brilliant. I’m gonna have a think about that. Shouldn’t take long considering my cranial capacity.

is this like the price is right, where the closest bid without going over wins … or just the closest?

we need a shot of a truant beauty …

$6,400
$12,500
$21,600

Twocs, you’re way off mate. Way too high. Edit quick! :wink:

bobepine

[quote=“xtrain”]is this like the price is right, where the closest bid without going over wins … or just the closest?

we need a shot of a truant beauty …[/quote]
good suggestion.
Closest without going over adds a bit more flava.

How heavy is the receipt?

my guesses

The amount “has to be” between 2500-14000.

My 3 guesses are:

4567 (mostly low denominations)
7678 (pretty mixed denominations)
9012 (mostly 10s)

Foreign currency amounts to approx. 345 NTD.

I put the receipt on the scales by itself and the reading was zero.

I then stepped on the scales and took a reading, and then stepped on again with the receipt in my hand - and the readings were the same.

The scale minimum reading unit is 100gm (.1 of a KG or 0.22046226218487758 pounds) so, we have to conclude that the receipt is lower than this minimum weight.
Actually, I found the smallest coin sitting on the top of the glass thing and compared it with the receipt and came up with the following:
The receipt feels warmer than the coin.
The receipt is less durable than the coin.
The receipt is lighter (my guess) than the coin, but I can’t be sure as they both weight the same according to the weighing method mentioned above.
The receipt really isn’t good for much apart from starting a fire, picking up a cat poo, or putting under someone’s windshield wiper to give them a scare initially, then make them think WTF? It’s too shiny and small to make a decent attempt at wiping your ass with it.
I reckon the if the receipt had more eights on it, it would be heavier. I think it has about 5 eights on it. Potentially, the receipt is worth more than the whole glass thing full of coins, but there is a good chance that it is worth less than the broken zip head.

I hope that helps.

Since you didn’t stipulate WHICH Carnegies, I look forward to meeting up on Lockhard Road Wanchai to score my winnings for:

:smiley:

HG

Your wife made ya get rid of the eyesore, eh? :wink:

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Since you didn’t stipulate WHICH Carnegies, I look forward to meeting up on Lockhard Road Wanchai to score my winnings for:

:smiley:

HG[/quote]
That is a good point. I am available to go to the Hong Kong Carnegies, but you will recall I mentioned sitting on a balcony. Does the HKG Carnage meet this requirement? If it does, and you win, it will be there.