Pickling in Taiwan

Pickling thread moved here from a science and nature because, well, it’s not about science or nature. Just food and cooking.

I have always enjoyed fermenting things, especially alcohol. However with more free time in recent days have started getting back into the pickling hobby.

I had honestly forgotten about how good, and easy, it is. Anyone else into it?

As an aside, would really like to know if these style jars are in circulation in taiwan. The design is genious and would really like to give them awhirl, but for sure they are perfect. Even for alcohol.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve picked stuff now and then, including myself (tried tea wine? - it’s nicer than it sounds). Kimchi, dill pickles, that sort of thing. I’m not an expert, but as you said it really is pretty easy.

Never seen those fermenting jars anywhere. Aren’t you supposed to exclude light?

Ya, but those jars burp and have a gas bubbler type setup.

To be fair, they were historically ceramic…so no light. I like the glass as you can see everything without opening and just keep it in a cabinet or box etc for darkness.

Honestly though, i also assume the glass ones arent worth half as much as my car…

Just made a batch to play with. Never puckled carots or tomatoes before, so giving a trial run a go.

Dont worry, they wont be sealed when resting.

I uusally do fermentation styles, not as much a fan of vingar brine

Another edit

I found an amazing use for those cheap plastic spice jar lids. I steamed them to clean and folded up the tops and left the jars latched but not sealed. An amazingly perfect fit that pushed big stuff down while letting water nd air through the holes. In a pinch, probably even more useful than the stuff they were sealing haha.

Post office box for good measure, keeping.it dark.

2 Likes