Pictures from Saturn

Iapetus - the father of Prometheus and Atlas.

In Arthur Clark’s book about 2001, this was the place where the big monolith was.

6 hours until the descent begins…

Iapetus bulges around the middle, a bit like a lot of us.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4157689.stm

Picture from Titan.

Wish you were here.

To all those “anti-Cassini” protestors who tried to disrupt the mission in 1997 and 1999, I say :raspberry:.

To NASA and the ESA, I say :bravo:!

Apparently Titan is “bright orange with a tangerine sky” and has the “consistency of creme brulee” What have they been celebrating with ? :beer:

These are the same people who couldn’t land a beagle on Mars (or was that just the Brits?), but have managed the furthest landing from Earth. :bravo:

Makes me feel all warm and fluffy inside, when these people manage something like this, not for money, not to conquer anyone, just purely for scientific knowledge.

NASA Cassini/Huygens home page: saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.cfm
ESA Cassini/Huygens home page: esa.int/SPECIALS/Cassini-Huygens/

Now they’re trying to work out what is producing all this methane, it should be broken down by UV light. Now the boffins are searching Titan for a herd of flatulant cows.

Does anyone know if they heard any thunder? I remember reading that the probe was equiped with a microphone, and that some of the scientists were hoping to hear wind or thunder on the way down.

For some reason I liked that idea a lot. Sounds from a foreign world seem almost even more exciting than pictures, in a way.

But then I haven’t heard anything about it since the landing. Anyone know? Perhaps events changed the mission priorities, and the the microphone was put to use, instead, to look for Matthew’s cows…

[quote=“Hobbes”]Does anyone know if they heard any thunder? I remember reading that the probe was equiped with a microphone, and that some of the scientists were hoping to hear wind or thunder on the way down.

For some reason I liked that idea a lot. Sounds from a foreign world seem almost even more exciting than pictures, in a way.

But then I haven’t heard anything about it since the landing. Anyone know? Perhaps events changed the mission priorities, and the the microphone was put to use, instead, to look for Matthew’s cows…[/quote]

For sounds:

esa.int/SPECIALS/Cassini-Huy … Y3E_0.html

[quote=“housecat”]

For sounds:

esa.int/SPECIALS/Cassini-Huy … Y3E_0.html[/quote]

Thanks housecat!

I just listened to it. A little disappointing, but I still like the idea – and I give them credit for trying. :slight_smile:

“…the largest, most detailed, global natural color view of Saturn and its rings ever made.”

Cool! :sunglasses: