Pigeon Racing -- What a Disgrace

Didn’t know that they ship thousands of pigeons to offshore locations and then let them fly back, killing most of them in the process. Nobody cares about pigeons, but this is disgraceful.

frickin rats of the air. Good riddance.

Actually, pigeon meat is quite yummy.

[quote=“urodacus”]frickin rats of the air. Good riddance.
[/quote]

Hear hear. :bravo:
It ain’t like they’re racing, you know…raccoons.

[quote=“urodacus”]frickin rats of the air. Good riddance.

Actually, pigeon meat is quite yummy.[/quote]

Be a man, say that in the face of Mike Tyson…

And they wreck the scenery by building those ugly coops on top of houses.

[quote=“hannes”][quote=“urodacus”]frickin rats of the air. Good riddance.

Actually, pigeon meat is quite yummy.[/quote]

Be a man, say that in the face of Mike Tyson…

[/quote]

Taken about 15 seconds prior to Iron Mike biting the bird’s head clean off.

ps That don’t look like no pigeon with which I ever fought over garbage

Nope, that’s the quintessential “magician’s pigeon”. Pulled right out of his hat!

Now, releasing a shipload of Mike Tysons into the middle of the ocean would be a much better idea.

[quote=“urodacus”]Nope, that’s the quintessential “magician’s pigeon”. Pulled right out of his hat!

Now, releasing a shipload of Mike Tysons into the middle of the ocean would be a much better idea.[/quote]

It ain’t a dove?

Even if one doesn’t care about pigeons, it’s still retarded. Aren’t humans supposed to be intelligent? Rats (and pigeons) all have their place. It’s usually humans that disrupt that place so that it becomes dysfunctional.

Pigeon-racing (to the death, as per the Taiwanese tradition) is like cockfighting: a huge waste of time and money that has non-trivial social and economic side-effects.

I wonder how a ship like that gets clearance at the harbor (Kaohsiung?). There must be some kind of law regulating this. Now, if a ship owner has a few thousand stray dogs on board and says he’s going to throw them in the sea off the coast so that people on land can bet on which dog will make it back to shore, do they let his ship leave the harbor? There must be some kind of law against this, right? Or is the betting mafia so threatening that only foreign animal rights groups dare to touch the subject?

You’re not going to get much rationality from the survival of the fittest fans, who consistently proclaim how "delicious " pigeon is. Their flippant, scant regard for cruelty is machismo and abhorrent.

I hope someone throws THEM into the sea one day and hedges bets on how many of them survive. :2cents:

Banning pigeon racing is mass slaughter. What do you think will happen to all those poor pigeons if they can’t be raced? They’re pampered and trained, just like any other farmed animal till they day they are sacrificed to humanity. Who says what is old is not new again. They’re also yummy.

I had an uncle used to call them “shitchickens”.

I always thought chickens were shitchickens. :ponder:

[quote=“Rocket”]I had an uncle used to call them “shitchickens”.

I always thought chickens were shitchickens. :ponder:[/quote]

Jim Lahey is not your uncle.

[quote=“bigduke6”][quote=“Rocket”]I had an uncle used to call them “shitchickens”.

I always thought chickens were shitchickens. :ponder:[/quote]

Jim Lahey is not your uncle.[/quote]

Thanks BoBandy :thumbsup:

I find some of the posts (even if posters try to be funny) in this thread rather disturbing. This is not about pigeons, but about respecting animals. Killing animals for the entertainment of humans is just disgusting and it doesn’t matter if the animals are pigeons, cocks, dogs or whatever animals these sick bastards choose to make fighting for their lives.

Sports that use death for entertainment, even if “only” using “dumb animals”, are uncomfortably close to circuses and public executions, IMO. It’s more to do with the effect on the participants - who have lowered themselves to a position somewhere less than human - than the victim.

As for a world in which animals are divided into “delicious” and “not delicious”, that sounds like a really, really boring sort of world.

Yes, hannes. Of course pigeon racing is a disgrace. It’s not as bad as cockfighting, national pastime of Thailand. Or dog fighting, national past time of West Virginia. But it is worse than many other hobbies that involve animals, like burning ants with a magnifying glass, popular, I am told, among sadistic 7 year olds who later grow up to be English teachers.

I take back that comment about pigeon soup: after all, it’s not as good as roast duck. But then all that has zero to do with pigeon racing, and I should have kept on topic.

Did you like my Mike Tyson comment though? Perhaps I should have stuck with Michael Vick.

[quote=“urodacus”]Yes, hannes. Of course pigeon racing is a disgrace. It’s not as bad as cockfighting, national pastime of Thailand. Or dog fighting, national past time of West Virginia. But it is worse than many other hobbies that involve animals, like burning ants with a magnifying glass, popular, I am told, among sadistic 7 year olds who later grow up to be English teachers.

I take back that comment about pigeon soup: after all, it’s not as good as roast duck. But then all that has zero to do with pigeon racing, and I should have kept on topic.

Did you like my Mike Tyson comment though? Perhaps I should have stuck with Michael Vick.[/quote]

I know it’s all funny and you are indeed funny. Maybe I am a bit too emotional these days. Maybe I am emotional cause I really love them birds. I sometimes go out at 5 in the morning and listen to birds singing. Makes my day.

Mike Tyson, not sure if you know that, has a deep affection for pigeons, doves, whatever, and he’s involved in pigeon racing, which makes it all really confusing. Not sure if his activities involve container ships off the coast of North Carolina, who knows.

AFAIK the western version of pigeon racing is what it says: racing pigeons. It’s about getting the pigeon back, not a last-man-standing gambling event. They are quite pampered, cos they’re valuable. Deliberately letting a pigeon get lost/drowned would be considered the height of stupidity.

Seems to me though that pigeons aren’t very bright if they go right back to their abusive owner. If they were a bit smarter they’d be back with a bunch of hardass pigeon friends to sort him out, Alfred Hitchcock style.