🌴 Pingtung | Tourism in Pingtung (excluding Kending)

Unconfuse me please

My understanding:- Kenting is a town/city within Pingtung County, but there is also Kenting National Park which spans Pingtung and surrounding areas?

There is a bus called the Kenting Express, where does that take you? Is there a large town/city in this area? Google maps isn’t all that helpful in this area, just sends you to some random toy store.

Kenting isn’t a town/city. Kenting is just a national park, and it spans an area between Hengchun Municipality and Manzhou Township. It is entirely within Pingtung County.

The Kenting Express takes you down the coast between Kaohsiung and Kenting National Park. I believe the last stop is Oluanbi Lighthouse. This is located in Hengchun Township. The “town” area you’re most likely referring to is Hengchun.

1 Like

Kenting/Kending is usually just loosely used for the southernmost part of Hengchun Peninsula in the far south of Taiwan. But it can also be specifically used for the beach village or the national park. In tourist publications for the government we always use Kending for the village (because Hanyu Pinyin is the official romanization method), and Kenting for the park (because that is the official spelling used for the park). It’s mildly confusing.

4 Likes

Kenting is a town, or village. A very small town, located in the Hengchun peninsula. It has a police station, an elementary school, homes and businesses. It is however most known for its night market, which is nothing special, but still manages to attract tons of people.

The national park is quite large. It’s pretty much the whole coastline in the peninsula, as well as much of the interior. It’s very beautiful with many hiking and mountain biking trails, good road cycling, and good scuba diving.

1 Like

You are correct. I looked it up on Google Maps. It seems to be around that northern stretch of the night market street south of the McDonald’s. Doesn’t even extend down to the Starbuck’s.

Different people use different references.

Kenting is generally known as South of Hengchen although there are small sections with more specific names like Jialeshui that is kind of the end of what’s known as Kenting. The whole stretch is mostly just one main road.

Kenting town is the small ~1km stretch at the night market where the main entrance to Kenting National Park is located that is mostly just one road through a park.

Kenting Express bus transits the main road with stops at main hotel areas.

Now can be as unconfused as the rest of us and most of Taiwan. It’s confusing to everyone.

All this unconfusing Kenting help somehow likes to be in the ex-Kenting thread making it more confusing about two places not usually confused.

2 Likes

You’re not wrong. I didn’t know Kenting Village was a thing until a couple hours ago. When you click the link on Google Maps it doesn’t even show any boundaries, and when you click businesses next to the map marker “Kenting Village” doesn’t show up in the address. “Kenting Road,” yes, but no “Kenting Village.”

It’s like in Taitung when you start talking about where Jerben might be, and what places are in it.

I originally took the thread title to mean “outside of Kenting National Park,” but looking back at one of the pictures I posted I was wrong about that, too.

This is also not to be confused with Kanding (also in Pingtung)

4 Likes

I wonder how many tourists have ended up in Kanding asking where the beach is?

2 Likes

Or trying to work out why the forest park is so small

I was in that “forest park” not long ago. I had no idea it was a thing until I saw the sign. Ditto for the ecological park. Not much ecology happening in that ecological park.

To make matters worse, Kenting is also a 里 (“neighborhood”) and there’s an area within the “Kenting Neighborhood” also known as Kenting. I’m learning shit here, even as I grow more and more confused.

What’s confusing? its just the township area.

Hengchun township, Kenting Village. (Then beach, park are named according to the area)

So you’re using “village” for 里? That’s a huge area. It also seems to imply villages within villages. And what about the other “Kenting” around the highway?

墾丁里

增丁

Hengchun

" Administrative divisions[edit]

Hengchun Township office

The township comprises 17 villages: Chengbei, Chengnan, Chengxi, Daguang, Dehe, Eluan, Jiahu, Kending, Longshui, Nanwan, Renshou, Shanhai, Shanjiao, Shuiquan, Sigou, Tougou and Wangsha."

Kenting National Park

Kenting National Park (Chinese: 墾丁國家公園; pinyin: Kěndīng Gúojiā Gōngyuán ), commonly known as Kenting (Chinese: 墾丁; pinyin: Kěndīng ), is a national park located on the Hengchun Peninsula of Pingtung County, Taiwan, covering Hengchun, Checheng, and Manzhou Townships. Established on 1 January 1984,[1] it is Taiwan’s oldest and the southernmost national park on the main island, covering the southernmost area of the Taiwan island along Bashi Channel. Administered by the Executive Yuan’s Ministry of the Interior,

Strange they’re calling that whole big area a single village, but whatever makes them happy I guess.

Its a place, that can feel bigger than it is with so many tourist there. DongGuang with more residents feels small as there are less tourists. Cities like Fanglaio try to get tourists with the arts area (not sure still there) but most people just drive past it.

Not really there (I live here).

1 Like

Was there ever any art there? I saw a place to eat, and thats it