Pingtung - Wandan Mud Volcano

I came across this story on the front page of the Taipei Dog Trainer yesterday, as well as here, in the China Shad Wrapper. chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/loca … -spews.htm
Can anyone confirm the location of this event? I’m familiar with the area, just not with the temple named in the story.

I know the place. Do you want directions?

Sure.

man, i have been wanting to catch it erupting for a bit now. Is there any way of finding out when its happening really fast? i live about 20 mins away. is this one by the temple (i know that area)? i just don’t remember there being a grave yard.

I don’t know if you all were aware, but it erupted again during the summer of 2013. I ride my bike through that area with some regularity, and one hot morning in July I noticed a large area of dried and cracked mud filling a plot of land beside the road.
The vent was very near the roadside, still bubbling. Since that time, the ejecta has been cleared away and the vent sealed and paved over.

[quote=“H5N1”]
The vent was very near the roadside, still bubbling. Since that time, the ejecta has been cleared away and the vent sealed and paved over.[/quote]

That’s the way to deal with nature. Concrete it.

LOL. It will next go off with a big bang no doubt.

Ooh, smart! :unamused: Now I’m just waiting for the day that the road opens up under some hapless truck driver and he ends up being swallowed by a sea of bubbling mud. Wandan!

That area always as new areas pop up, i dont think paving really does much to worsen the surrounding area. its all fair game.

It’s a composite mud volcano, ie. it has more than one vent. Pave one over/fill one in and another vent will open up somewhere nearby.

This is utterly insane!

Guy

2 Likes

I would say mud volcano is an apt moniker!

1 Like

Looks like it’s prepping for a colonoscopy!

2 Likes

完蛋了

2 Likes