PingXi Lantern Festival 2/24-3/4

I just saw this on a Chinese website…

tpc.gov.tw/web/News?command= … oupId=8504

I’m thinking of going on the first day 2/24. Is there anywhere to camp out there? I figured that would be easier than heading home afterwards.

If I remember correctly, they had two release dates last year. The first was unofficial/smaller scale and considered quite fun by the people who went, while the official one a week later was miserable and crowded out the wazoo. I remember trying to go to the 2nd one and being so put off by the gigantic crowds at Ruifang train station that I went home.

By this logic, when would the first release date be? I’d still like to check it out.

No official camping but I know a few places in the hills you could camp out nicely. There is also a B&B in Jingtong (1km from Pingxi).

We went last year on the first day and there was no problem getting there and back. Shuttle buses every few minutes.

Is it worth it for taking pictures? And what would be the first day of the event? Just ask because in Sanxia we have the ‘fat’ pig festival the sixth day after CNY …

[quote]No official camping but I know a few places in the hills you could camp out nicely. There is also a B&B in Jingtong (1km from Pingxi).

We went last year on the first day and there was no problem getting there and back. Shuttle buses every few minutes.[/quote]

Can you give me some directions for these camping spots? Would we be ok camping there during the festival?

That was great fun, and I certainly want to go again this year - on the first weekend*, not the second!

You really shouldn’t miss it, BP - I’m sure you’ll be able to take lots of brilliant pictures.

*Edit: But I see from that website that the first big release of sky lanterns is on Thursday Feb. 28, and the second one (on the actual festival day, 元宵節) is one week later on March 4. The first one will be the best to go to, and as it’s on a workday, the crowd shouldn’t be too bad.

With a professional camera like yours, you should get fantastic pictures, especially if you get close to the mass releases.

With my camera, which lacks manual focus, it was impossible to get good pictures…

february 28th is a national holiday isn’t it, so it wont be less crowded.

Oh, you’re right, I always forget that the Chen administration has made 228 a national holiday.

But last year it wasn’t crowded at all the first time, yet was horrendously crowded the second time on the day of the Lantern Festival, so I expect it should be the same this year. I went on both days, and it was ten times more enjoyable on the far less crowded day. You could walk about freely the first time, but could hardly move the second time.

Oh, you’re right, I always forget that the Chen administration has made 228 a national holiday.

But last year it wasn’t crowded at all the first time, yet was horrendously crowded the second time on the day of the Lantern Festival, so I expect it should be the same this year. I went on both days, and it was ten times more enjoyable on the far less crowded day. You could walk about freely the first time, but could hardly move the second time.[/quote]

Then there was the two-hour-plus wait in line for the shuttle bus on the second weekend… insane!

The worst part was being caught in the crowd, unable to move, and having burning lanterns drop into the crowd from the sky. Not good…

What time does this event start? Going early would be fine … right

I’d say it’s best to get there in the late afternoon. The mass releases of lanterns begin soon after it gets dark.

[quote=“Mugatu”][quote]No official camping but I know a few places in the hills you could camp out nicely. There is also a B&B in Jingtong (1km from Pingxi).

We went last year on the first day and there was no problem getting there and back. Shuttle buses every few minutes.[/quote]

Can you give me some directions for these camping spots? Would we be ok camping there during the festival?[/quote]

Just before the big red brick school (which itself is just before Pingxi on the 106) there is a bridge going over a small creek and a small set of stairs on the far side of the road. Go up the stairs and follow the clear wide path to the end where you’ll see an old mining area we call Gollum’s Lair. Lots of flat land here you can camp out or head up the stairs to the little temple. There’s a flat patch here you can camp out on. There is a nice grassy area another 20 minutes up the trail but water buffalo occassionally go here, and in any case you will be coming back at night so the first places are best as the trail is two meters wide. Just bring a flashlight and you will be fine. Can’t see why it would be a problem.

But make sure to bring a flameproof tent.

So, in that case, is it worth going there today at all? Will anything be happening there?

28 is Wednesday … and I’ll be there if nothing intervenes with my planning …

Today is 24 … almost 5 days too early …

So, in that case, is it worth going there today at all? Will anything be happening there?[/quote]

It would seem not, though you can always climb the crags and go for a swim.

Got this from the www.taiwan.net.tw website and seen it on a lot of promotions around.

I’m going to go and check it out anyway. It’s a nice enough day.

So, I went yesterday and it was a big mass of people arriving there … I didn’t go to the place where they were released tho, too many people … I found a spot closeby and a little higher and did make my pics from there, hassle free but probably not the best … anyways …

For those of you that want to go on Sunday, I’ll explain what we did …

We parked the car, we went early, at the #5 freeway rest area and took the shuttle bus from there to Jingdong (30NT$), then we walked to Pingxi … but Sunday it’ll be in Shihfen, although I think they will apply the same strategy … which worked basically. Coming back there was a line probably 200 m long waiting to return, it went so smooth that (we were way back in the line) we were off with the bus within 25 minutes or so … they had about at least 15 buses running …

You can also start at Muhza zoo (50NT$) …

Coming through Rueifang, from Taipei, Keelung by train is also possible I suppose …

Roads were closed off for all traffic except shuttle buses … you could not enter or traverse the 106

Good pictures, BP - as if we’d have expected anything less from you!

I really wanted to go yesterday, but I’ve been stricken with a nasty cold or flu bug and just wasn’t up to it.

I’m a bit surprised it was so crowded. But perhaps a lot of people have learned from last year’s experience that it’s better to go on the first of the two big days. It’ll almost certainly still be horrendously crowded this Sunday, barring foul weather.