Pingxi Sky Lantern 2010

Just got back. Some of our group are still out there at Shifen waiting in line for the bus. Mrs cfi and I walked from Shifen to Lingjiao (approx 5km) and convinced a policeman to stop a passing shuttle bus for us, otherwise we’d still be waiting.

Will post some pics tomorrow.

Can’t wait to see them!

what a huge disappointment. This event was about 5 minutes of fun for hours and hours of agony. It was kind of interesting seeing Ma Ying Jeou walk by though.

There was a bit of waiting around, but all in all, I thought it wasn’t too bad. We were there from about 2:30 until 9 and it was pretty much okay. We did have to walk a fair bit to get a bus because we didn’t want to wait in a long line, but even that wasn’t too bad. We didn’t bother waiting for the president to come - I’ve seen him a couple of times before and my wife has met him so it didn’t have the once-in-a-lifetime type factor it usually would.

Full set of pics on my site. Lantern Festival

I was there too. Maybe I got there a little late(around 8:40 ish) , but was a bit dissapointed at the quantity of lanterns and the very limited space, and then the agony of waiting 2 hours in line for a bus and then standing another 1 in the bus(they were jampacked to capacity) and the MRT , too. Too much trouble for not much fun. Great images from the festival there , though cfimages.

Thanks. We left about the time you arrived - I guessed you missed most of the official lantern releases. They were releasing 100 every 10 mins or so from 6:30 onwards, plus all the people releasing them at other places. All told, there were lots of them floating around.

Gross. Filthy fucks littering MY landscape. I hope they all die of disgusting diseases. I counted at least 15 of those nasty things draped in the trees around my place this morning. A CURSE on those dirty bastards!

eh? :ohreally: :loco:

But, but… there was a concert, you know? And that brings much needed $$$$ to our lovely Xindian tourist area. And think about those guys selling the lanterns. Plus it’s tradition. And everyone knows trees are bad, concrete is cleaner, trees have bugs. And no one knows who threw them, so it doesn’t matter…

Do I sound convincing or what? :smiley:

There was a concert in Pingxi too. Kou Chou Ching (I think that’s their name) were on. They were terrible - the general reaction in the crowd around us was along the lines of “WTF is this”.

CFI great pics :thumbsup: I liked some on your site too!

Where there are crowds…there is no tommy525 :slight_smile:

Still is! That rabbit is just crying out, ‘make paella, make paella!’.

yes DB it still is, we had a fun dinner under the moon tonight! :thumbsup:

I got one landed in my yard, still burning. Melted all over my favourite rose bush. Just glad the kid wasn’t playing there at the time. :fume:
Fucking fuckers.

Aren’t they supposed to be eco friendly made of rice paper and all that???

Not the ones they are fishing out of the rivers in the Pingxi area. They’ll be cleaning for months.

The frames are metal, and the paper can be substituted by plastic/thicker paper. If they were teh traditional ones -bamboo and rice paper- they would burn faster, but the last master maker is too old so the technique is al but lost. We are stuck with the “modern equivalents”… made in China, I suppose?

oh thanks!

One year they started a fire at the airport.