Pinyin Wars Part VI: The Sound & the Fury

Yea! And nobody understands you if you ask them where zongksiao fucksing is.

Tongyong is much better. There. I said it.

Jhongsiao Fusing

1 Like

I do.

2 Likes

Nobody’s gonna mention Keelung?

1 Like

Hey, hey, guys! Cool it already!

Y’all be acting like PW1 and PW2 and PW3 never happened, not to mention the many skirmishes over places like 淡水 and 高雄. It’s like we need a whole frigging Pinyin Forum! :roll:

The spelling for the name of station.

My general observation is there may well be mistakes in English translation but with names the Chinese choose very meticulously and reasonably.

You could make an argument that Tongyong is better at ONE of the functions that romanizations are meant to perform (prompting correct pronunciation for people who are absolutely unfamiliar with any Chinese), but it certainly isn’t better in others (facilitating written communication, facilitating official international communication, facilitating Mandarin learning, etc.). Like 5 people in the world are actually familiar with the system. BILLIONS are familiar with Hanyu Pinyin.

And what is that reason? To confuse people?

Every single road sign and map that I’ve seen over the past decade has “Wenxin” or “Wen-xin.” What could possibly be the reason for making this one spelling an awkward outlier?

What part of Taiwan do you live in? My general observation is that they do NOT choose romanizations meticulously and reasonably. They couldn’t care less, for the most part. I can walk down streets and from block to block the spelling of the street changes on the signs. I’ll be on Zhongshan Rd. one block and then be on Chungshan Rd. the next. As someone who has been here a long time and speaks Chinese, I know that those are the same. Someone visiting will be super confused.

1 Like

I’m sure they’ll figure it out. It’s always been like this. It’s part of the charm

1 Like

Yeah; what’s up with the K?

Same reason Beijing used to be Peking.

U is an ugly letter. But who’s to tell a city or person how to spell their name.

I thoght it was the aboriginal name :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Apparently it was. The Taiwanese used to call it Kelang 雞籠, the “hencoop.” Then the Qing Chinese changed it to Jilong 基隆.

1 Like

I think Wade Giles usually explains that.

1 Like

I think it’s tongyong pinyin as was mentioned. I thought they stopped using it though.

Suggest writing to the city government about this. I already have. Maybe if enough people do, they might take notice …

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

They promised me a “comprehensive review of the issue” :rofl:

2 Likes

Maybe they got it from The Weather Channel?

2 Likes

Okay, that’s it. I’m renaming this thread Pinyin Wars Part VI!

3 Likes