Place to drop off old oil/batteries for free

I do my oil changes myself and the scooter shops want 50-100nt to take my old recycled oil that has been bottled up.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but can’t this oil be used/ even bought on a larger level to be recycled into other products?
I feel it has some value and surely some place must be taking this off peoples hands for free. Also need to drop off my old scooters battery.

Any spots anyone can recommend?

[quote=“Guy1983”]I do my oil changes myself and the scooter shops want 50-100nt to take my old recycled oil that has been bottled up.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but can’t this oil be used/ even bought on a larger level to be recycled into other products?
I feel it has some value and surely some place must be taking this off peoples hands for free. Also need to drop off my old scooters battery.

Any spots anyone can recommend?[/quote]

Location?

You can maybe try asking in the cars and motorcycles sub-forum as well. I know that people who change their own oil go to scooter shops where they happily take their old oil for free. Maybe try another scooter shop?

In the US the retailers of the oil are required to take used oil. I doubt that is the case in Taiwan but perhaps.

I think you overestimate the value of something that has to be recycled. It has value but it also has to be stored and transported by the repairshop.

Charging consumers for the disposal of oil, batteries, and other potentially hazardous materials is a recipe for pollution (illegal dumping).

Absolutely. That might be why the retailer (like in the US) has to take back used oil and batteries. It isn’t really fair for the repair shop that he didn’t use to deal with it though.

Thats what I immediately thought. Being by the Ocean I thought “Oh great” I bet some people are dumping oil off in the pacific because its more convienient for some who can’t be bothered to find a shop to take their oil for free. To tell the truth I’m a bit shocked this hasn’t been addressed with “all scooter shops” in Taiwan. The country prides itself on recycling and I even heard you can get a ticket if you didn’t sort out your recyclables and put them in the general waste and throw away it to the yellow trash truck instead of the white recycling truck. A country this strict on recycling but,… No fine or ticket for scooter shops not taking peoples oil? Just sayin,… If your going to address recycling might as well address all aspects including oil and offer scooter shops some kind of incentive when turning in oil maybe a gov rebate etc… As for me i’m going to try a few more scooter shops. I’m not going to dump my oil which might be what some are doing :astonished:

Taiwan has a very inconsistent regard to recycling (and the environment). They get a lot of credit for a great recycling program (and reuse) but there is still a tendency among many to just dump stuff and allow it to wash away. Out of sight and out of mind.

I am still not sure why your focus is on the scooter shop for not taking the oil for free. It should be on the seller of the oil. They are the one that made money from your oil purchase. I think when you buy a battery you pay more if you don’t bring in the replacement battery.