Places to visit in Beijing?

Hello Forumosans,

I’m visiting Beijing next week, and I would like some suggestions on where to hang out and meet cool people, but no bars as I don’t like to drink.

If there are must see sights, please mention it too.

And last, if there is any culture differences between China and Taiwan, please also let me know.

Thanks a lot,
JamezKu

[quote=“jamezku”]Hello Forumosans,

I’m visiting Beijing next week, and I would like some suggestions on where to hang out and meet cool people, but no bars as I don’t like to drink.

If there are must see sights, please mention it too.

And last, if there is any culture differences between China and Taiwan, please also let me know.

Thanks a lot,
JamezKu[/quote]

Lot’s of cool places inside the second ring road in eastern part of city (東城)。There is a pedestrian street called 南锣鼓巷 close to the drum tour (鼓楼)that has a unique Beijing feel to it and has lots of coffee shops and that sort of thing, although it has been much more commercialized in recent years. Subway stop is 北新桥 If you like Sichuan there is a whole street of places called Ghost Street 簋街 down the street from nanluoguxiang, in between there and dongzhimen. Lama temple is one subway stop over。

Anyway, things change a lot and its been a couple years since I have been there but 東城 has the traditional hutongs and the old Beijing feel to it.

There are so many things to see and do in Beijing that I wouldn’t know where to begin. Start with wikitravel online, and if that’s not enough, get a Lonely Planet Guide. Keep in mind Beijing is a sprawling city of 21.5 million people and the capital, as well as an important economic and cultural center. It’s hard to be bored there.

Back already, thanks anyways :bravo: