Plane ticket to Taiwan-suggestions?

I’m coming to Taipei in August and am looking into getting a plane ticket now. It’s my understanding that I need to get a ticket with an open return option.

Any idea what the typical ticket from NY to Taipei costs? $800-$1000 US?

Americans in Taipei, which airline did you fly with?

[quote=“Etheorial”]I’m coming to Taipei in August and am looking into getting a plane ticket now. It’s my understanding that I need to get a ticket with an open return option.

Americans in Taipei, which airline did you fly with?[/quote] I flew United Airlines, round trip from Washington D.C. to Taipei. Just got home a few hours ago. My ticket was just under a 1,000 U.S. But, this summer, I think you’ll be looking at around 1,200 to 1,300. Also, that’s for a confirmed return date. I don’t know if it would be any different for an open return option.

[quote=“Etheorial”]I’m coming to Taipei in August and am looking into getting a plane ticket now. It’s my understanding that I need to get a ticket with an open return option.

Americans in Taipei, which airline did you fly with?[/quote]

I usually fly with EVA. (Northwest, which is often cheaper–I once got a round trip for $695–is horrible). Last summer, I paid approx. 1,300 US for a round-trip from NY to Taipei. I flew on something called Economy/Delux. The seats were slightly bigger so I felt it was worth it.

air japan is nice

the flight attendants smile at you when you are tall and hansome

and fluff your pillow and bow

North West airlines is cheap and flies out of Newark with a stopover in Japan.

I am flying out of LA in August and got a round-trip ticket (open-ended for 90 days) for around $750 US.

Shopping for a ticket can be quite a can of worms. You should do some comparison shopping on the web, but do check with an actual brick-and-mortar travel agent.
In the past I have flown on United. Nothing spectacularly luxurious, but I have had no problems either. I expect to take United again this September BOI-TPE. United’s itineraries to Taipei seem to be pretty good for me. Leave U.S.A. in the morning and arrive Taiwan late evening of the next day. From Newark you would go either via Chicago or San Francisco to Tokyo, and then to Taipei.
EVA has some itineraries in which you leave U.S.A. after midnight and arrive in Taipei early in the morning. An itinerary I saw on Expedia on EVA from EWR to TPE via Seattle is probably one of the shortest in total time from departure to arrival.

This is a popular topic – maybe sticky it.

Anyways, like I mentioned before, booking anything before Sept 1st is booking during peak season which means you’re pretty much not going to find anything under $1100 at this stage.

Any open ended ticket means an additional $100 extra on top of the usual published fare.

Good luck,

If at all possible, you should find a Taiwanese friend with contacts to a Taiwanese travel agent. When I flew here from Austin, I bought my ticket from a Taiwanese agent in Dallas for $830, round-trip, open-ended. This was in late May, after the high season had started. My Taiwanese friends in Texas came home earlier in May, and since they are only staying for a month or two each, they paid $650-700 round trip.

I recently accepted a position with one of the large chain schools (or is it school chains?) and will be coming to Taiwan in a couple of months. As is customary, I’ll have a 1-year (12-month) contract. But the year begins with the beginning of my employment, not with my arrival in TW. (As it’s a chain school, I’ll go through training before I begin teaching.) Thus, I’ll need to be in TW for more than 12 months. Can I get a 13-month round-trip ticket? Could I get a 12-month round-trip ticket & have it extended? Would I be better off (or have no other choice but) to get 2 one-way tickets? (I’m in the US, &, as I understand it, to get a visa I need a ticket to & a ticket from.) How did you English teachers (who are currently in Taiwan) handle this situation?

If you’re buying in the States, you should definitely check out the consolidators in Chinatown. They usually take out tiny ads in the Sunday travel section of the NY Times. I bought a roundtrip from Boston to Taipei on China Airlines in mid-August for about $800. It was several hundred dollars cheaper than any price I could find on the web. Even with rising fuel costs, I’m sure you can get a ticket for under $1000. Perhaps there are restrictions with changing the dates on those sort of flights, etc. but it wasn’t an issue for me.

http://www.flychina.com

This is a website that Erhu recently gave me. I was seeking for a rt ticket for my cousin who’s flying over in Jan. The best price,which I was looking for, and got was $885. This is for a flight on United.

Best of luck

Flying her can be fun or a nightmare. Shop around for the best deals. Summer is the high season for flying (not May), end of June till first week in Sept. High season will be 2000-5000 NT more to fly.

Few airlines will let you have more than a year for open-ended ticket. Get an open ticket with more than one change. To get your VISA you will need a confirmed return date (not an open ticket) then you can change it later. If you stay more than a year the ticket is gone (mine is in the trash) and you loose a bit of $ :frowning: . It is not better to get 2 one-way tickets, as you need the VISA. With no visa needs you can look at one way but don