Plants in front of parking (fake private)

The parking lot is private land. But he build his office space to actually take up part of public road…then put his potted plants outside to keep people from parking in front of his office.

1 Like

I hate this staking out of parking spaces. I live at the base of a mountain and cars are parked along the road for about 500m up the mountain. I noticed that each car owner has staked out a spot, which is reserved with a scooter when the car is in use.

I’m so glad we bought a place that includes a parking space. I bet the staked out parking spaces on the mountain road are fiercely protected by their “owners.”

1 Like

You can report 路霸 like potted plants etc occupying public space to the police or 環保局 and they’ll take care of it.

2 Likes

Ha you know, I have an idea. Call the tow trucks on their own vehicles.“This car isn’t supposed to be parked here” (which is the truth in many cases).

There’s this douche that parks a blue truck in the corner of a road where you turn into my alley, and it’s tire is all slashed and clearly not in use for a decade. it creates danger since no one can see around the corner when they turn.

This can also be reported to the 環保局 as a 廢車

4 Likes

Staking claim to what is not yours is not unusual. At a hiking spot in Taipei had people tell us about the guys who on purpose build small little buildings on public park land using old wood to make the place look old. Then when government comes to a spot which needs to be cleared the “owners” say they have had this building for many years so ask government for compensation.
Here in Hualien several locals tell us about indigenous people doing the same thing so they can claim the land was theirs. Well, hard to dispute that 30 years ago they were using that part of the mountain.

Why not report the illegal building? Seems like a slam-dunk

My sister-in-law is scared to confront him. I have encouraged her and her husband but they avoid the problem. They have bought the apartment next door so actually should have access to two parking spaces but only use one because other apartments need a space. There is no original documentation showing the building layout or mention of the parking lot. The feeling is the first floor guy will say the land is his somehow and others must prove otherwise.

It could be a societal problem of people having been beaten into submission.

Getting something done (aside from ordering a bobba) can be quite enervating: after spending a day to the tedium of complicated and involved bureaucratic workflows, the idea of filing a complaint form with its attendant bureaucratic hassles would be the last thing on one’s mind.

The battles are many, and the payoff not so guaranteed.

And every day might have to face a very unhappy, vengeful neighbor. The neighbor certainly will not so easily give up an office right outside his house on land he did not have to buy or rent.

No. Only if you are blocking a driveway.

Take photos of it along with the address label on the building and go straight to the local police station. They will fine him and remove them immediately

1 Like

Uh is this really how things roll in Hualien?

I mean I do hope there is some sense of distant, objective enforcement there. I do hope you are right. BUT looking at who has governed that place, and the web of murky connections keeping those guys in charge, does make me wonder . . .

Guy

1 Like

The illegal structure I mention is in Taipei. And my sister-in-law will not make a move to confront this guy.

1 Like

Sooo, crazy question, how do you know whose it is, and that it is not in fact his?

1 Like

Private parking lot means private. It is indeed a good question. End of the day though, it is not a police issue as it’s private land. Would need to be taken up with the strata/coop/whatever of the building. Which would not be fun. I’m kind of with the wife in the sense of I wouldn’t want to be involved and responsible for making an enemy at my sanctuary (my home, land of the escape from reality).

If action is to be taken on private land, befriend is always the preferable.

1 Like

Well, the only “proof” is that the sister-in-law bought her place from the guy who actually built the building. So when they bought were told one parking space per unit. But seems she is not interested to investigate the details like how many pings are actually in the contract. She thinks the parking spot pings are in the price of the unit but she avoids discussing the details. I don’t push her as is her decision to let this guy get away with theft (if really is not his parking lot).

Yep it’s how it works across Taiwan actually

1 Like

You don’t need her to. Just go there yourself.

You’re the man of the house, aren’t you? lol don’t rely off the girls.

To beat somebody with? Or something installed that makes it look more like a police vehicle? :thinking: