Plants in front of parking (fake private)

I see open parking spots with non governmental signs saying don’t park here, we tow or plants covering parking spots.

However, I noticed that these all seem to be public roads, not actually owned by these people.

Can they really have me towed or is it an empty threat in hopes they can have their own free parking reserved?

6 Likes

And crappy old rusty bicycles used similar

1 Like

I forgot who I called once (probably 1999), but the 環保局 came and took care of a rusty old bike that was constantly all over the YouBike parking (like, people had to keep moving it out of the way and then it’d be next to the YB parking blocking someone from parking their scooter who’d put it back into the YB parking itself, and on and on it goes). They stuck a giant “warning, abandoned bike will be taken away by x date” paper on it and then the bike disappeared a few days later.

5 Likes

They are infuriatingly pussy footed about removing old half fossilised bikes and scooters.

3 Likes

More about damage to your car. A legal spot is a legal spot. You have every right. But some people are assholes, and we can assume the people living there are quite aware where the cameras piont :wink: scratches are not uncommon. I drive work trucks, so the amount of fucks given are particularly low. But if I had. Alice car, I would certainly be more careful with this societal reality.

I park outside the plants, never touch their pots/Styrofoam boxes. If the government sends you a Fine, argue it stating the issue of the plants is that they are not a motor vehicle and without a license plate. So they should instead fine those flower pots for being unregistered vehicles on public roadways. That’s not a joke. The dmv reacts will to logical and very hard lined arguments :wink:

Bicycles, scooters etc all follow such laws. Move them. But don’t be shocked if your car gets a ding. But they can be moved aside from proper parking spots. The worry with everyone is liability and getting sued. Which, unfortunately, is a Taiwanese hobby of sorts. Mental illness gone unchecked is VERY rampant here. Pick your battles :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Have considered reporting these things.

If you care about the reportee knowing who reported, then be cautious about how you report because it could come back to them officially or unofficially.

1 Like

In certain cities, and certain neighbourhoods, people with property on the ground floor genuinely believe that the street in front of them is “theirs.” Ditto with the qilou / sidewalk space.

Can this be changed? Yes, as Ma did when he was mayor of Taipei City. But if you try this as an individual, without the force of the state behind you, the potential downsides (as @Explant noted) may outweigh the benefits.

Guy

9 Likes

I like to push their entitlement (because I really hate the sense of being entitled in general in these types of ways) only because I drive a car I don’t mind getting scratched. A slashed tire gets a police call to their spot and a big problem. End of the day, without video evidence, I still lose but I bet roughly 50% will thunk twice about doing it again once police and and people challenge their sense of importance and entitlement to public lands.

Just pick your battles. Not all are going to be won, and more importantly not all are worth trying to win

Putting those bird wing star police/military style logo stickers on your car also tends to avoid many problems :wink: life hack with assholes.

Fun part is. Even their open area directly in front of the doors, before the street, is normally meant to be open area for public walkways. Not parking, but walking. No?

2 Likes

:rofl:

I see your car scheme, and then raise it by using red paint to put a line (illegally, of course) in front of my house.

Guy

1 Like

I put two potted flower in front of my house, as sometimes the odd visitor park in front of the door, and can not get out. Sometimes others on the street park there is ok, I can beep beep to get them out.

People are selfish and will take advantage when they can, just look at how people drive. We had call police to get a car moved, the driver came out was “sooooo sorry, said it looks like no one was home” , well don’t park where I can not get out or in, is your car more important than mine and have this fake so sorry polite on why they did it (I thought no one is home)??? Being polite does not work so two flowers, and I need move it when I go/in out with the car.

4 Likes

There are way too many cars on this island.

Every time people choose to store these huge machines on public space, they should have to pay for it.

Guy

5 Likes

I still do not get why Taiwanese like big cars. Was in Italy, like Japan they drive small cars, in Italy scooters made in Taiwan behave differently(the loose the Taiwan behavior) . Italy seems messy, but still follow rules and more direct then Taiwanese in that no fake sorry or hidden selfish driving/ parking.

Genoa, Italy

other city

Not sure true but seems Taiwan has more Lamborghini or at least seem some in Kaoshiung.

Some driving like this

3 Likes

Try parking in front of a betel nut stand if you are not their customer. I have been barked at several times by stand workers. But normally my wife exists the vehicle to buy stuff and I stay inside…then I can ignore them as I am around to protect the car. Yes, they give me the long, hard stare…but I just stare back. Sometimes the parking spot requires payment (if the attendant arrives to give you a fee slip) yet they claim the spot as their own.
And, yes, the old bicycle parked in front of their store to reserve a spot. One day I would like to just back over one of those bikes. I really hate this one old man who gives me the evil eye anytime I approach the front of his store. But luckily the house next door actually has a sign asking if can leave phone number on car in case they need to call…as seems they also pull into front of house to park.

Similar to this is just extending your business or home into street or parking lot. My sister-in-law lives at an apartment which normally has 8 private outside parking spots…one for each apartment. The guy on first floor build an office on three spots which extend out from the building an even cover part of the road. Then he puts plants outside this office to discourage parking next to his illegal building.
What pisses me off is that he then parks his car in a spot meaning the other 7 apartments only have 4 spaces for their cars. Luckily one apartment has been empty and one apartment only has motorcycles. But if there was no illegal building then the value of each apartment would be higher…as the sister-in-law has considered selling. No one in the building wants to be the trouble maker to turn in the guy for illegally building there.

3 Likes

The main point is if there is a proper, registered, parking spot, painted by the government. Blocking that is illegal. Or, pay the parking fee :slight_smile: I don’t disagree this sucks for city dwellers, but then m…that’s city life.

My solution avoids trademark and copywrite infringements. It also is not, in any way, touching public property, nor other people’s property. Just a sticker on my own property. That is absolutely paramount to my point All law suites averted, AND a load of ignorant fucktards won’t mess with my vehicle. If they do, a counter lawsuit is easily won. If need be. But putting the [legal] fear of God in them is often enough. Having a well sculpted metal bar behind the seat is also a fair plan B.

There are ways to learn the people without a fight nor a lawsuit. Playing between the lines is the most fun of all the skillsets :wink:

1 Like

Right here, the source of most (all?) problems in Taiwan.

6 Likes

Outside of already mentioned norms. It is preferable, and easier, to stop, walk out and move the bicycle, then park. Let them bitch. Right is right. Take a video of their face if they get cranky, whilst letting them know you are recording their amazing winning attitude.

Again, be aware of social norms and realizations.

Absolutely. Innaction is the best tool the worst people have to win their game. We can do better, and should. Takes a community to raise a child…

2 Likes

Certainly applies to this guy. Takes over 3 of 8 parking places. Takes over part of the road. Then puts out plants to keep people from parking outside his illegal building. I wonder if one day he feels his office is not big enough so just takes over the entire parking lot.

If it’s a parking lot, it may be private land. If so, his flower pots won’t need to be registered for road use :melting_face: