Playstation 2

[quote=“miltownkid”]Playstation with a Mod chip already in it: 8500NT

Get your playstation modded: 3000NT

Got this info from bade road.

That’ll be 10 karma points from all of yee :smiley:[/quote]

Thank you, our kid. 10 points coming right up, with another 10 if you can tell me which is the best shop on Bade in you opinion.

Anyone have any ideas on which is the better buy? I heard JP ver. can play code 1,2,3 DVDs? Am considering to buy a mod ver soon so any help is appreciated. Thx

To answer your question, the playstations here are Japanese playstations. You can buy a modded one that will play all DVD regions, US and Japanese games. Japanese playstations can only play Japanese games and Region 3 DVD’s.

Isn’t it true that Acer now have the contract to build a Taiwanese version of PS2 for the local market? The main difference, as I understand it, is that the locally built model will play Region 3 DVDs without special software–while Japan and Taiwan are in the same region for games, they are in differnt regions for DVDs. I bought my yet-to-be-modded PS2 earlier this year when the local model was just being released. At the time I was advised by the shop owner to go with the Japanese model since there were mods on the market for it at that time that may or may not work in the Taiwan-built model. I don’t know if that that is still true with regard to the Taiwan-build model being more or less easy to mod than the Japanese model.

question guys in the states I have modded ps2 so it can play copied ps2 games…now my ps2 is old I am thinking about getting one in roc…now ps2 in taiwan will play the ps2 game that I copied in usa yes?

Yes it will. :smiley: It will play those backed up games you have (remember, they’re “backups” :wink: ).

cool thanks bro…so I need to get one of those magic2 or 3 chip yes? any stores prolly have em?

The places I went to sold the PS2 with the chip already installed (8400NT). If you wanted to get it done to a PS2 you already had it was about 3000NT. I’m not sure how much the chip would cost alone.

ah ic…do most places sell modded ps2? and which chip do they have in it? I guess police don’t care about they selling chipped ps2 huh?

also anyone know if I can use panasonic showstopper replay in Taiwan? (similar to tivo)

All I know is that it’s one that works.

Might have to start another thread for that one. (Stay on target :wink: ).

can USA ps2 play taiwan pirated game or original games? I got a USA ps2 modded but when I ship it here it got damaged. taiwan people doesn’t know how to fix it…or they say they don’t know how to fix it so I can buy taiwan ps2 so they make money. Anyways I am going to wait a little bit and see what I will do.

usually my friend dl from online and burn to cd. I think any country ps2 can play it?

Dont be too quick to dismiss the xbox just yet, guys. With games like Dead or Alive xtreme volleyball and TEKKI coming out recently, asian gamers are starting to re-evaluate M$'s big black box :slight_smile:

The games market is more than big enough to support 2 or 3 consoles, its foolish to just pledge allegiance to one platform, especially when that choice is outdated and cant compete with the newer players.

I bought my modded xbox with me from Australia and its been a very good way to break the ice with most of the taiwanse people that i have met through the family i am staying with here in Taichung. 4 of the guys have gone out to buy their own xbox and the word is spreading.

If you want the latest state of the art graphics and sound, chose the xbox. MS have already stated that they are in the gaming business to stay, and have the infrastructure (and $$) to ensure that the xbox name will be synonymous with gaming, much like playstation is now thanks to the playstation 1.

The ps2 hardware is very hard to develop for and compared to xbox and GC is clearly inferior. The only good point going for ps2 is the sheer number of titles available in this region. If you are a die hard gamer like myself, buy an xbox. If you are happy with the 3rd place, chose the ps2 :slight_smile:

More reasons to chose xbox - the online hardware is built in, no need to fork out more $$ for adapters etc like you need with gamecube and ps2. Xbox encodes dolby digital 5.1 sound on the fly which is fantastic if you have the right amp setup. The graphics capabilities of the xbox are amazing too, it has hardware that the other consoles cant hope to match.

Xbox is future proof, the ps2 and now even GC are already starting to look old. The xbox has a programmable Graphics synthesiser that can be updated at any time by developers

Sorry to rave on, but i just wanted you to hear a different perspective

sales does not equal quality!

I will grant you that ps2 graphics are not as good quality as xbox but then most TVs can’t display the high resolution compare to a computer. The Tv only has something like 320 lines while computer resolution like vga is 640x480. Xbox uses pc technology to get better resolution but it’s pointless unless you happen to have the lcd screens to really use it. If I wanted another windows box, I would get another pc. I believe there are xbox emulators out there for the pc.

As for games, any games developed in any system will be available for the other platforms unless the developer was bought by m$. Plus with a lot more games out there, I don’t feel I missed anything.

M$ online strategy sucks. First of all they are not even selling their online package well. I still see them stocked up in stores in the US during the hoilday season. You couldn’t even find a network adapter for the ps2 on the shelves. Two, their scheme sucks and create a bottleneck. M$ wants to make sure that they control everything so you need to log into their servers first in order to log on to the developer’s server. This creates a bottleneck at m$ login server. Third, PS2 you only need to pay for the adapter which cost about 40. You can also buy Linksys nic which is compatable with PS2. For M, you have to pay 50 each year for a subscription. Fourth, the voice chat from M sucks compared to PS2.

One thing also sucks about the xbox is that you need to pay for the DVD controller in order to use the DVD function. You can do that on the PS2 without the remote. The DVD remote from Sony is a lot more functional than the remote from m$.

Since the xbox does not have digital audio outputs as standard, you have to buy another accessory to use it. Optical audio output is standard on PS2.

Also most people don’t know that in certain games you can play between multiple PS2s via the i-link(firewire).

Since most people want to buy one console, the PS2 is still the number one choice. In order to fully utilize the capabilities of the xbox, you would have to spend a lot of money for a HDTV and a good stereo system. If you can pay for that, you can pay for more than one console.

The sales record have proven that the PS2 is still the top console out there. xbox has only shipped about 10 million units while the PS2 has shipped over 40 million units. The equipement might be “old” but it still works well. Hopefully the sales will continue the way it is and the xbox will disappear, like the Phillips CDI, into the history of consoles.

Mark

That was put nicely. I was just gonna say buy a PS2 first and if your a hardcore gamer/have the money, buy an X-Box. I could not recommend an X-Box to someone over a PS2 any day of the week. I’d recommend a PSX (PS1) over an X-Box (seriously).

Mark ‘ps2 fanboy’ smith wrote

I will grant you that ps2 graphics are not as good quality as xbox but then most TVs can’t display the high resolution compare to a computer. The Tv only has something like 320 lines while computer resolution like vga is 640x480. Xbox uses pc technology to get better resolution but it’s pointless unless you happen to have the lcd screens to really use it. If I wanted another windows box, I would get another pc. I believe there are xbox emulators out there for the pc.

Do you even know what you are talking about? You started off on the right track - yes, the xbox has far superior graphics to the ps2. Its no secret that the ps2 is flawed technology and falls far short of Sonys hype that it can display ‘toy story’ graphics. It is plagued by ‘jaggies’ a jargon term which describes the blocky edges of the polygons that you see on screen.

Xbox uses PC technology? I dont think so. It uses an nvidia chipset which you can buy for PC and it also has a harddrive and modified motherboard but that is where the similarities end. Put any xbox game alongside a ps2 game and the difference is remarkable in clarity, colour depth and framerate. This is through a normal 34 cm television, not a high def tv which you say is necessary.

There are no xbox emulators available for PC. Uneducated people believe that the xbox is a pc in a box, but it runs proprietary software and uses hardware that is far removed from anything found in a pc. Do some research before you post ill-informed information to people tha may not know better.

Mark:
As for games, any games developed in any system will be available for the other platforms unless the developer was bought by m$. Plus with a lot more games out there, I don’t feel I missed anything.

Is that why capcom only released Tekki for xbox? How about sega GT 2002? There are over a hundred A grade games available only on xbox, and they were produced by multi-platform companies. In addition it is no surprise to learn that the xbox version is easily better than both the ps2 and Gamecube version in multi release titles such as tony hawk 4 etc…
Believe me, if you limit yourself to one console, you are already missing out on some top class games, and this is going to continue into the future…

Mark:
M$ online strategy sucks. First of all they are not even selling their online package well. I still see them stocked up in stores in the US during the hoilday season. You couldn’t even find a network adapter for the ps2 on the shelves. Two, their scheme sucks and create a bottleneck. M$ wants to make sure that they control everything so you need to log into their servers first in order to log on to the developer’s server. This creates a bottleneck at m$ login server. Third, PS2 you only need to pay for the adapter which cost about $40. You can also buy Linksys nic which is compatable with PS2. For M$, you have to pay $50 each year for a subscription. Fourth, the voice chat from M$ sucks compared to PS2.

More blatant anti-xbox propaganda. The xboxlive experience so far has been a commercial success way beyond anything that MS expected. They were sold out within a week and doubled production to keep up to demand. Your ridiculous MS hating knows no bounds. MS have already got a working online gaming system working in the USA and now japan, europe is soon to follow. By all acounts it is lag free, easy to use and adds a whole new dimension to games. The sony effort on the other hand lacks focus, costs a whole lot more and most games only give you the option to upload your high scores toa server- big deal! I would rather play against human opponents and be able to hear them trash talk me in real time! Thats what online gaming is about :slight_smile:
How can you say the voice chat sucks compared to ps2? ps2 doesnt even have voice chat yet! Also MS will not be charging $50 a year, thats the initial cost which included the headset, a couple of games and other goodies. The yearly fee covers ALL games that use xbolive, you can play as long as you want. the sony model will have each game charging a seperate fee - yeah…that sounds much better :unamused:

Mark:
One thing also sucks about the xbox is that you need to pay for the DVD controller in order to use the DVD function. You can do that on the PS2 without the remote. The DVD remote from Sony is a lot more functional than the remote from m$.

clutching.at.straws.
Any sane gamer will mod their console of choice. Thanks to the xbox harddrive (which is an additional cost for the ps2 and isnt even available outside japan). you can save programs to your xbox such as DVDx which allows you to play any region dvd in your xbox. You dont need a dvd remote pack to use this program.
In addition you can load emulators,and have access to thousands of arcade games, other console games and more. You can also play mpgs, vcds, mp3s and even watch slideshows. I would like to see you do that on your precious ps2!

Mark:
Since the xbox does not have digital audio outputs as standard, you have to buy another accessory to use it. Optical audio output is standard on PS2.

You neglected to mention that PS2 only uses the optical output for dvd playback. The ps2 cannot encode 5.1 audio in games. The best it can do is dolby 2.2 and thats only in cutscenes (like metal gear solid)- boring!
The accesory that you mentioned for xbox is calld the high definition AV pack, its cheap and allows you to output digital sound and also use RGB output for visuals - which is a huge improvement. That also supports progressive scan visuals. Another thing the ps2 cant do on the fly…

Mark:

Also most people don’t know that in certain games you can play between multiple PS2s via the i-link(firewire).

Umm hello, the xbox allows you to hook up 16 systems through a widely available network hub and wires which are available at any PC store. Its much cheaper and until you play HALO linkup, you havent played network console gaming. period!

Mark:
Since most people want to buy one console, the PS2 is still the number one choice. In order to fully utilize the capabilities of the xbox, you would have to spend a lot of money for a HDTV and a good stereo system. If you can pay for that, you can pay for more than one console.

Untrue. the xbox blitzes the ps2 through standard AV cables on a normal TV. If you can afford better equipment, then the difference is even more staggering. Some of us can afford more than one console, i have all 3 and the xbox is getting all the playtime lately.

Mark:
The sales record have proven that the PS2 is still the top console out there. xbox has only shipped about 10 million units while the PS2 has shipped over 40 million units. The equipement might be “old” but it still works well. Hopefully the sales will continue the way it is and the xbox will disappear, like the Phillips CDI, into the history of consoles.
_____________________________________________________–
sales does not equal quality
The xbox has experienced far greater sales numbers in its first year than the ps2 did. And thats against 2 other rivals. What did the ps2 compete with? the sadly failing sega dreamcast (which is better than ps2 in a lot of areas)

Mark, Its fools like you that support the ps2 and neglect to try anything new. Dont feed other people your lies, especially guys that ask for honest opinions. Why should that person get lumped with a console that is on its last legs? Let him try the xbox and play some truly next gen games. If you have the cash, i suggest you do the same

yo guys I got a ps2 from the US…I have magic 3 chip…it won’t play Taiwan pirated DVD why is that? I think it will play japan games…I don’t understand why it won’t play taiwan pirated dvds…I have yet to try cd…but do I have to buy another ps2 here in taiwan in order to play taiwan pirated games?

Well, I started this thread, so I’d better finish it before pubba man does somebody a mischief! :wink:

I borrowed a Playstation 1 and about 20 games from a friend a couple of weeks ago and I’m bored with it already. The Fifa one was OK I suppose, but the others were just a load of crap.

I’ll buy some books or CDs with the money, I think. Thanks for all the info, though, guys – its been real.

pubba_man,

You should really learn how to have a discussion without resorting to name calling. I didn't even read your post beyond the first line. It's a waste of my time. Amusing but still a waste of my time. Also, if you haven't figured it out yet, my last name is Shih not Smith. Since I really don't like having discussions like this with people like you, I'll just put you into my ignore list. Have fun.

Mark

Good move.

Now to pubba_man. I understand that you take a lot of abuse being an Xbox fan, I’ve been there. Once upon a time I was a hardcore genisis fan. I would bring out techspecs of the genisis, talk about how fast the genisis was compared to the super nintendo, talk about all the cool game genisis had, etc. When I look back now, I see the folly of my ways. Even if I was right (I don’t think I was now) arguing brought no good (expecially with people that didn’t want to argue).

Now as far as making recommendation goes. I would have to recommend a PS2 (I could be wrong though). It has a bigger game librabry, cheaper games and more games. I’ve been a little out of the gaming circle since I got here, but the only game I remember worth mention (for Xbox) was Halo. Would you honestly recomend an Xbox to a virgin gamer? I stopped promoting one system the day I could afford to have them all. Before I came here I had a N64, PS2, PS1, gamecude and a dreamcast hooked up to my TV. My friend had an Xbox that I could have borrowed and never did.

Just be chill dude. I’m sure the Xbox is tight (cool). Just give me a list of the games you think are the tightest (best) and I’ll investigate. Processing power means dick when comparing systems. It’s all about the game library. I’d probably have more fun with a SNES then an Xbox (low blow :smiling_imp: ).

Apart from doing my research here on segue, I’ve also done a bit through all the gaming sites, and the general consencious is that the xbox is superior. Now, I’m not going to get into a blue with anyone on this, as it seems that the majority of seguers prefer the ps, but I think the general attack on pubba man has been less than fair.