Playstation 2

amos,

I don't think anyone is attacking pubba_man here. We are just saying that if we had to recommend a system to anyone, we would recommend the ps2 because of  <insert your reasons here>. We have also said that if you had money for only one system, we would recommend the ps2 over all others. No of us called pubba_man any names. In fact I just put him into my ignore list. Miltownkid just said "Just be chill dude." No one is personally attacking him. As with all things, there are different point of views and it's about how you present the views. I think all the posters have been fair to the systems and pointed out the good and bad points about the systems. It's not like anyone has put pubba_man into the blue for any name calling.

Mark

Fair enough, point taken.

Mark, its a shame that you didnt read past the first line in my post- and seeing that you have me on your ‘ignore’ list this is probably a waste of time writing this…

I basically shot down every argument you made and was kind of expecting an argument so I could do it all again…but i guess its easier to ignore me than get OWNED in a forum discussion…

The dude has gone to buy some books anyway. Books are magic, never forget the joy of a great book!

Amos, of course the xbox is better, its there in black and white for anyone to see in the tech specs, and the games are awesome…

For the guy that wanted some killa games…check these out!

HALO of course :slight_smile: its the first #1 title
Crimson Seas is heaps of fun, been playing it nonstop since i got it
Panzer Dragoon Orta is beautiful and widely heralded as the most impressive game graphically on any console. Good news: its heaps of fun too :slight_smile:
If you like driving games SEGA GT2003 is great, so is Rallisport challenge and Project Gotham Racing
I also love Medal of Honour Frontline- great game and environments!
Blinx the Timesweeper is good and umm…oh dammit there are too many - check out www.playnow.com.au for an interesting gaming forum

Mark, once again its a shame that you didnt read my post. I am worried now that i have an image of being a nasty internet bully- but trust me folks, in real life I am a big ball of fun :smiley:

This is what I really don’t understand. I’ve seen this again and again on game-oriented sites – beautiful? They’re crudely rendered animations – every single one I’ve seen, even the very latest ones you can see on the screens at Fnac, etc. Crude is the only word I can find to describe them.

And Medal of Honour captured my attention for oh… about 10 minutes before it bored me out of my skull, although I did quite like the vibrating hand control thingy, and it was marginally less sleep-inducing than the Tom Clancy one – is that Rainbow Platoon or something like that?

I appreciate games as a legitimate art-form. Have you seen panzer dragoon orta in motion? Its superb!

We are obviously on different wavelengths regarding games here…

btw - the vibrating hand control thingy is pretty standard in most console games these days. It started out as a gimmick on ps1 but now xbox, ps2 and gamecube has copied this useless hardware feature :slight_smile:

I am sure my ravings seem a bit stupid to some of you, but we all have our hobbies and interests…some people love cars, mobile phones. manga etc… i like my games !

sandman, check out panzer dragoon and splinter cell on xbox- 2 very fine games in both graphics and gameplay

btw- what is fnac? i am intrigued!

:laughing:

Damn! Its getting too difficult to yank on your chain, pubba_man :wink:

As for Fnac, I see from your other posts that you’re not in Taipei. Fnac is a major French chain that sells books, CDs, games + consoles, computers, hi-fi’s, etc. They have two in Taipei and one (I think) in Taizhong.

I prefer it to Eslite.

Yank my chain? Why bother? In real life I am probably someone that you would get on with very well :slight_smile:

Thanks for the info- sounds like a great store, I will be in Taipei very soon helping a friend out run a store- would love to meet some of you guys and chat about your experiences in Taiwan - my shout!

Some entertaining posts pubba … tell me, does the Xbox have the same dumb regional incompatibilies built in that plague the PS2s … or rather, plague PS2 users?

Hi monkey - cheers

The xbox is like any other console, there are clearly defined regions which all of the available mod chips avoid.

In addition some games are multi-region and this is becoming more common on xbox. Panzer Dragoon Orta is a good example - it detects what language you have your xbox set to and changes the text ingame accordingly. this saves a lot of cash releasing different versions of the same game with different languages…

Also a lot of xboxLive (M$ online network for xbox) are multi region to save on costs and also make it easier to release games at the same time around the world. If you are keen to check out the 'box let me know, i will be in Taipei in a few weeks and would like to catch up with some expats (any excuse will do!)

jim

Pubba, where then can I get my hands on a mod chip that’ll allow me to play PAL and NTSC games. If I could do that, then I’ll be sold.

edit/update; I found that mod chip. Although had to order it in from the US.

looking into buying one for the kiddies, nice thread, any major new developments this year? tks.

PS3 should be coming out soon. and they are planning Xbox 2.

but if you don’t want to wait, the current models prices have been dropping (although they have been steady now at about 120 i think)

if u know how to solder, you might want to modify the bios so that it can play games from different regions, play dvds from different regions and expand harddrive capabilities.

just type in xbox, modder in any internet search.

What’s a PS2 cost these days anyway. Must be getting cheap if PS3 is coming out soon.

Brian

7000 in 3c and lots of other places

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]What’s a PS2 cost these days anyway. Must be getting cheap if PS3 is coming out soon.

Brian[/quote]

Depends if you consider 2005, “soon.” In the meantime, they’re coming out with a USD 700+ PSX… Looks like the living room uberdevice.

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/200310/03-1007E/

I got my PS2 in the States in order to play games in English. By doing so I am limited to buying games from the US. If you get one in Taiwan, the games you buy here will be in Japanese and US games cannot work with this model. My advice is to buy the PS2 at Kuang Hua and then ask them to mod it for you so that all games including pirated (I do not advocated piracy by the way, just providing info) can be played on your system. The price for modding is cheap! It’s around 300-400NT but the shop does warn you that by doing this you null your warranty. Hope that helps.

Wow! How is modding so cheap? A mod chip in the US costs liike $50 without labor.

i had a modded ps2 in and a modded xbox in north america… i know if i downloaded a pal game for ps2 and didnt patch it, it would play in black and white all flashy… in 50hz mode i guess… xbox never had a problem, it would play all pal titles flawlessly(ntsc also)…im not really sure why… but thats how mine was

For those interested in the xbox. The latest sport games are graphicly awesome. I just thumped the wife 6-0 in Top Spin (tennis) and then gave here another hiding in Links 2004 (golf) before finishing her off in SSX trick (beautiful snow skiing game). All of these games are pretty sweet. Simpsons Hit and Run is also plenty of fun (especially when you log in the cheats) as is the GTA series (although the cars look too 90’s). Amos.

Labor costs are way different in these two countries. Think about hiring a locksmith here vs. in the US. In costs only 200NT to get your door unlocked by a locksmith here. So getting someone to mod your chip is dirt cheap and they can do it right on the spot.