PLC automation related jobs?

Does anyone know of any PLC or automation related jobs in Taiwan? After I pick up some more experience in the states, I’d love to move to Taiwan.

Packet loss concealment?
Programmable logic controller?
Product life cycle?

Just curious.

The second one.

The problem is that PLC programming is considered a blue-collar job in Taiwan, and is therefore a prime target for (degree-qualified) Filipino labour. I know one Filipino guy who does this in Korea.

To clarify, Filipinos and Americans are treated as different sorts of human being and subject to different visa rules. A Filipino can legally come here and work for 28K/month as a PLC programmer. An American couldn’t, because his minimum salary threshold for a work permit is 56K (?). Employers just won’t offer that much because they can get the job done for much less.

NTD 47, 971

PLC programmers are a dime a dozen here, some with qualifications some without. Don’t see how there would be an incentive for a company to employ a westerner for that type of work unless you bring something very special to the table.

1 Like

Sorry, I should have fleshed this post out more. PLC as in Programmable logic controller. There a metric ass load of jobs in the states that will ship you too asia to install PLC managed equipment, so I figured there may be a few permanent positions in Taiwan. Oh well, I guess I’ll teach English after I make some more bones.

Ah OK, I thought it had increased since then.

Then your best bet would be to apply for one of those. Sure, you’ll only be out here for a month, but you’ll earn more in that month than you would in a year full-time here. If you still like it after doing the install, come back with your contract loot and enjoy yourself on a tourist visa.

2 Likes

Exactly, do this. You’ll get salary, room & board and likely some “hardship” money on top. If the company is doing a lot of business they may eventually consider it better to have someone permanently here, that’s your shot at US salary or better in a permanent position here away from HQ restraints.

1 Like