Please explain university rankings to me

The central question I have about the ranking of Taiwanese unis is: Why does everyone in Taiwan think that NCCU is the number two university when, according to all international rankings, it’s like 9th? Where do the Taiwanese rankings come from, vs. the international rankings (e.g. webometrics.info)? I’ve been told that the two most difficult schools to get into for Taiwanese are NTU and NCCU, meaning that they simply interpret this difficulty as rank. It can’t be that simple, though.

Care to help a brother out?

They gave us 9th because we have no science/medical schools. We protested that one. :smiley:

It is second in terms of choices by the Taiwanese, as NTU is the Holy Grail, then Chengda. I call it “nerds with a life”. Hence the “difficulty”.

The rankings take into account publications -which NTU has had problems with-, and affiliations, for instance. That is as far as I know.

I see. Well I applied to NCCU. So wish me luck.
Any other foreigner-friendly schools in or around Taipei? I know TKU is really nice to foreigners, and NCCU has the international MAs… NTU has the international MBA, which I don’t care about, but they make foreigners write a Chinese research proposal for part of the initial application… :raspberry:
I’m looking into NTPU, which seems not that prestigious but they have a Public Admin MA program and the tests are in English. NTNU seems somewhat accommodating to foreigners as well; they let you improve your Chinese while you study, rather than penalize your application for lacking fluency.
Thanks for your help.

Do you work at NCCU, Icon? I live just across the river from there and go over for a walk around the campus. :sunglasses:

In the sciences, I believe that NTHU (Tsinghua) or NCTU (Chiaotung) is 2nd in place behind NTU.

Do you work at NCCU, Icon? I live just across the river from there and go over for a walk around the campus. :sunglasses:[/quote]

Nope, Icon is NCCU alumni, if you have any questions. :smiley:

Yep, teh campus is really nice, getting nicer all the time. I go there regularly for meetings and stuff mostly, wished I could go there more for fun.

Is it really hard to get into NCCU as an American? I’m applying to the Comm Studies and China Studies programs. No idea what to expect. I hear that lots of people apply but each program only takes 10 a year.

Maybe, or at least Tsinghua have that reputation :wink:
To me it seems like Chiaotung gives the best undergrad courses (more structured and international) while I’ve heard that Tsinghua is “better” at PhD and research…

[quote=“XinBiDe”]I see. Well I applied to NCCU. So wish me luck.
Any other foreigner-friendly schools in or around Taipei?[/quote]
Well, if you dare to move away from Taipei to Hsinchu I think NCTU has International MBA.

Thanks, but I don’t want an MBA.
I’m looking at political science or public policy related stuff, mostly, as well as some of the english-taught programs at NCCU. I’m not afraid of taking classes in Chinese as long as the school allows me to write most of my papers and tests in English.

Are the MBA programs offered by Taiwanese schools internationally ranked? From the locals I have met they desperately try to get out of TW for an MBA since Internationally top ranked is worth more.

Yes, they are. Check teh listings. They show off their credentials.

For locals, an MBA abroad is worth as a shoo-in to international corporations, status and all that jazz. However, they still need the guanxi building of local programs.

[quote=“XinBiDe”]Thanks, but I don’t want an MBA.
I’m looking at political science or public policy related stuff, mostly, as well as some of the english-taught programs at NCCU. I’m not afraid of taking classes in Chinese as long as the school allows me to write most of my papers and tests in English.[/quote]

Then you are lucky, because most traffic is generated by the IMBA/EMBA programs. Then Taiwan Studies comes next. Comm should be OK -being it is one of NCCU’s strenghts-, as well as China studies. And they are 100% English. Actually, scholarship students get Chinese lessons if they want to. :smiley:

Maybe, or at least Tsinghua have that reputation :wink:
To me it seems like Chiaotung gives the best undergrad courses (more structured and international) while I’ve heard that Tsinghua is “better” at PhD and research…

[quote=“XinBiDe”]I see. Well I applied to NCCU. So wish me luck.
Any other foreigner-friendly schools in or around Taipei?[/quote]
Well, if you dare to move away from Taipei to Hsinchu I think NCTU has International MBA.[/quote]

I knew a fellow countryman who graduated from Tsinghua, and had acouple of friends at Chiaotung. All very pleased with the programs.

[quote=“Icon”][quote=“XinBiDe”]Thanks, but I don’t want an MBA.
I’m looking at political science or public policy related stuff, mostly, as well as some of the english-taught programs at NCCU. I’m not afraid of taking classes in Chinese as long as the school allows me to write most of my papers and tests in English.[/quote]

Then you are lucky, because most traffic is generated by the IMBA/EMBA programs. Then Taiwan Studies comes next. Comm should be OK -being it is one of NCCU’s strenghts-, as well as China studies. And they are 100% English. Actually, scholarship students get Chinese lessons if they want to. :smiley:[/quote]
Don’t get my hopes up! I just applied to both Communication Studies and China Studies at NCCU and I’m really worried. I frown on any good news until I actually am officially accepted (and I won’t know that until like July or something ridiculous).

Reviving this thread to ask: how can Times Higher Education (THE) produce this nonsense list, in which Asia University (亞洲大學)—a middling private uni—ranks higher than NTHU, NYCU (the merged NCTU and NYMU), and NCKU?

This makes absolutely no sense.

Guy

4 Likes

Basically, university rankings aren’t very useful

3 Likes

Lol, see my previous comment

Nice of you to “help a brother out”—twelve years later! :grin:

Guy

2 Likes

I have this bad habit of tending to read the thread. I know it isn’t how things are usually done here, but there it is. Anyways, you dug this up 12 years later, and my first reply to OP works for your question, too!

The methodologies of the ranking systems are fundamentally flawed. On top of that, universities will do things aimed towards gaming the system so that they move up in the rankings.

5 Likes

The only university worse than the QS university ranking is the THE ranking, lol. It’s a joke that deserves no attention whatsoever.

1 Like