Plecodict/Supermemo + HTC Touch Diamond

Hi everyone,

I’m thinking of purchasing a PDA Phone, namely the HTC Touch Diamond and am curious if anyone is running Plecodict or supermemo on them.

I would buy buying this in Taiwan to be using my Chunghwa Cell #, so I’m assuming it comes with a Chinese OS. According to forum posts (on Pleco and Supermemo) it appears it can be done, although they seem to make it seem like it takes quite a bit of hacking, although I think most of them are using English OSs, not Chinese.

Anyone bought one of these in Taiwan and use the Chinese OS to run Pleco/Supermemo? Anyone bought one in Taiwan, installed an English OS, and running Pleco/Supermemo? Any feedback/help is appreciated. I’m pretty technologically sound, so I don’t mind a bit of hacking, but I’d prefer not to do anything that’s going to void the warranty.

Thanks.

[quote=“MPenguin”]Hi everyone,

I’m thinking of purchasing a PDA Phone, namely the HTC Touch Diamond and am curious if anyone is running Plecodict or supermemo on them.

I would buy buying this in Taiwan to be using my Chunghwa (Zhonghua) Cell #, so I’m assuming it comes with a Chinese OS. According to forum posts (on Pleco and Supermemo) it appears it can be done, although they seem to make it seem like it takes quite a bit of hacking, although I think most of them are using English OSs, not Chinese.

Anyone bought one of these in Taiwan and use the Chinese OS to run Pleco/Supermemo? Anyone bought one in Taiwan, installed an English OS, and running Pleco/Supermemo? Any feedback/help is appreciated. I’m pretty technologically sound, so I don’t mind a bit of hacking, but I’d prefer not to do anything that’s going to void the warranty.

Thanks.[/quote]My strong suggestion is to use FullRecall instead of Supermemo. The support’s better (well, how could it be worse?), and you can sync your databases from your PC to your phone. It should work fine on the Chinese OS - I helped two people put it on their WM phones and I think both were running Chinese OS. Anyway, I think the WM version of FullRecall is free of charge. Even the trial of the PC version has a very generous database size and I don’t think there’s a time limit, so that should be enough to last you a while.

I’m actually working on a FullRecall database for the Practical Audio-Visual Chinese books now.

I’ll probably end up using that and Plecodict once I get an HTC.

Apropros, I heard the HTC Touch Pro is going to be released tomorrow (Sept. 4). Can anyone confirm if they are being sold now and, if so, how much? The Touch Diamond was going for 21,300 Cash in Kaohsiung last week.

Hi had (up until the baby poured juice on it) an nice touch Cruse. The best thing I did was update the os and programs to English. I was not hard but scary. The last interface I had was the diamond. It looked very nice.

I’m learning Chinese anyway, so the Chinese OS won’t be a problem. Best way to learn a language is to be forced to use it. What better way than to interact with it on a daily basis? If any serious problems come up, the gf can help me out.

Additionally, installing an English OS, I was told, invalidates the warranty.

I played with the diamond. It is, indeed, pretty awesome. That’s why I’m getting the Pro - Diamond+expandable memory+qwerty keyboard = win.

[quote=“MPenguin”]I’m actually working on a FullRecall database for the Practical Audio-Visual Chinese books now.

I’ll probably end up using that and Plecodict once I get an HTC.

Apropros, I heard the HTC Touch Pro is going to be released tomorrow (Sept. 4). Can anyone confirm if they are being sold now and, if so, how much? The Touch Diamond was going for 21,300 Cash in Kaohsiung last week.[/quote]Good to hear you’ve got started with FullRecall. It should take you a lot further than Supermemo would. Even if development stopped at some stage (and there’s no sign that it will any time soon, with the latest update released only a week ago), it should be a whole lot simpler to get your full databases including learning data into another program than to try to do the same with Supermemo.

I still haven’t figured out the best way to keep the FullRecall database in sync on both a PC running XP and a WM device. There must be a way, but I think it might have to be with a third party syncing utility. Active Sync seems somewhat limited. I believe it’s easy enough on Vista as you can sync any files/folders with the new Sync Center tool, which replaces Active Sync.

One thing to remember about syncing the database is that you shouldn’t have FullRecall running on either the PC or the phone when you do that. It’s only when you quit the program that all the most recent work is saved.