PM Kevin Rudd - Oz rejoins the modern world

That’s what I was thinking when I read that! :laughing:

HG

Now I know Kevin Rudd lived in a car for a while growing up with his parents. But despite his love of automobiles for shelter/housing, I really don’t expect the Labour Party to give such preferential treatment to auto dealer friends…Pretty sad when the politicos are even dirtier than the used car salespeople they are supposed to be helping/giving special treatment to :laughing: :laughing:

google.com/hostednews/afp/ar … r7WfrteZ2g

have you actually read the article, and many many others so far written, about the more murky details of the provenance of the ‘story’?

Turnbull is scrambling for whatever dirt he can find, any dirt, so he’s not stopping at getting a sympathetic treasury official to pen a fake email in the hopes of diverting attention from his own dirty past, now that Costello the Smirker has now become Costello the great disappeared White Knight of the Conservative cause and left Turnbull to bask in the full glare of the spotlight on his own. And what an uncormfortable spotlight that has become!

Another point is that other department communications show that the car dealer supposedly given preferential treatment was not treated any differently from a whole bunch of other legitimate users and applicants to the OzCar scheme.

[quote=“naguoning”]The other thing that REALLY does bother me about Rudd and worries me that he is taking us out of
the modern world is his “faith” in Christianity. ie I take this to mean faith in virgin births, all the animals in the world being crowded onto one boat etc. To my brain cell this is a “faith” that does not belong in the modern world.
Now, remember he is an Aussie PM not an American president. Christian “faith” is not a pre-requisite to getting elected. Hawke who is openly agnostic is proof of this. Now that I have said this, I have no doubt offended lots of people but anyway my 2 cents on it.[/quote]

Rudd’s private faith is as much your personal business as what he and his wife do in their bedroom. You should be grateful that Rudd keeps his private faith separate from his public responsibility. I’m always astonished by those who insist that what happens in someone’s bedroom is no business of anyone else, but that what goes on in someone else’s minds (an even more private space), is somehow public property or the business of others.

Chewy, forget the soundbites. There’s a 21 page, 307 post thread on the subject with 6,286 views, here. More than enough information for you to assess both sides. Rudd was given a 13 year old ute two years ago, and it was declared according to regulations (registered as part of his ‘pecuniary interests’, as the term is). It has been alleged that the car dealer did this in hopes of benefiting from a government financing scheme for car dealerships. However, that scheme was not proposed until a year after the gift, which torpedoes that claim. Not only that, but the car dealer in question did not receive any assistance from the government scheme at all.

The email on which Turnbull relied (which asserted specific improper favours performed by Rudd for the car dealer), turned out to be a forgery (more here). As to whether Swan misled Parliament, that’s a separate issue which doesn’t concern Rudd.

I’m non-partisan by the way, I’ve never supported any political party in Australia, nor even voted.

[quote=“Turnbull admits there’s no case against Rudd”]Federal Opposition Leader Malcolm Turnbull has conceded for the first time that accusations Kevin Rudd was involved in the OzCar affair cannot be sustained.

The admission comes a day after federal police revealed as a fake an email purporting to link the prime minister and his office with allegations the government gave a Brisbane car dealer favoured treatment.

Mr Turnbull had accused Mr Rudd and his Treasurer Wayne Swan of misleading parliament over the issue.

The case that Mr Rudd misled the house about the communication is not sustained,” he told ABC Radio on Tuesday.

There is no doubt about that.”[/quote]