Poagao's Book

[quote=“formosa”]Was she a Taiwanese reporter or a foreign woman?

Incredible. I mean, at what point are you accepted as an ROC national? Never?[/quote]

She’s Felicia Liu, Taiwanese and, it would seem, not the sharpest cheese in the gift-pak, if you know what I mean. But you take what you can get I guess. I’m sure for some of the dimmer or more contrary individuals of this society I will never be accepted, but you’re going to find those people in every society. Fortunately you can ignore them and concentrate on the people that count: friends, family, etc.

If you weren’t allowed to talk about your book on FTV, maybe you could mention it on forumosa ? :wink:

well said!

Poagao wrote: “She’s … Taiwanese and, it would seem, not the sharpest cheese in the gift-pak, if you know what I mean. But you take what you can get I guess. I’m sure for some of the dimmer or more contrary individuals of this society I will never be accepted, but you’re going to find those people in every society. EMPHASIS MINE: Fortunately you can ignore them and concentrate on the people that count: friends, family, etc.”

Poagao,

Do you still have your Whampoa backpack?

I did not really get what actually happened when you managed not to end up playing trumpet full time. Could they have rigged the draw due to the fact that you might look “foreign”?

A really exciting read.

[quote=“Mr He”]Poagao,

Do you still have your Whampoa backpack?

I did not really get what actually happened when you managed not to end up playing trumpet full time. Could they have rigged the draw due to the fact that you might look “foreign”?[/quote]

I don’t have it. Mine had a hole in it, and the one I got to replace it at a military supply store was worse than useless.

I don’t see how they could have rigged the draw, but I suppose it’s possible.

Thanks. That cleared a few things up.

You will be able to chart my progress by looking at the questions, I post here.

Loved your review in This Month in Taiwan :wink:, free promo too, not like that FTV poo poo.

Chou

I haven’t seen it yet, but I’m sure it’s fine. I don’t know how many TMIT readers are also part of the target demographic, though.

Well, if chou reads Chinese, you are at 1. Some Taiwanese must read that sorry rag.

I almost slapped you for talking about Poagao’s book like that, then I read the post above and realised you were talking about TMiT :smiling_imp:

As a matter of fact Poagao’s book is a great read - I am more than halfway thru it now. If your Chinese reading skills are OK, then it’s certainly worth it. The Chinese is not hard.

Was down at the Spot Eslite with a friend at the weekend and saw 8 copies of the book prominently displayed. Then 7 copies as friend snatched one up. She read it that evening (don’t it make you wanna cry, Mr He?), enjoyed it very much.

Now yesterday evening she went to the doctors and had the book in hand (she’s going to give it to her brother in hope it’ll stop him moaning about the injustice of military service). The nurse saw book and said “Hey I read that book. It’s fab” How long’s it been? A week? Poagao, you’re a phenomenon.

The important thing is to keep posting messages here about the book’s progress, so that word of mouth (word of Net) can continue spreading. With over 700 hits here so far, that’s alot of page views and might translate into 70 book purchases islandwide, plus 350 word of mouth recommendations, which would mean another 35 book purchases, and although 100 books is nothing in the total scheme of things, it helps. We can help Poagao hit the Kingstone bestseller list if we keep at it.

I also gave my copy to a friend in Keelung, a former army guy too, and he said he loved it. So there, this book has legs!

Your book sounds great! I’m currently in Calif. but I’m gonna have my mom buy the book for me.

I’m going to be talking about the book and other hopefully related stuff on the Bimuyu program on Hansheng Radio tonight from 6:30 to 7. Sorry, I don’t know the frequency.

What’s the frequency?

Hey Poagoa:

I didn’t know it was you until I am here tonight. I saw your book @ the bookstore (HESS) and it looks very interesting. I read a few pages but didn’t have enough $$ to buy it. But you know what?? It is so true that there are so many taiwanese / chinese wanna to be USA citizen but you, on the other hand, you give up your US citizenship to become a Taiwanese…wowow… I am speechless.

I will def. get the book soon.

• Me

Ah, not until I saw Paogao’s Chinese name at his book site did I realize that he was the person whose story I saw covered in the W&L alumni magazine several years ago. I remember my reaction then was admiration (for what he did) and also pride for my being Taiwanese–the country can’t be so bad after all, or no foreigner would have wanted to become its citizen! The way I see it, immigration by choice is a bit like marriage, an expression of ultimate hope, love and trust. :stuck_out_tongue: It is not uncommon that, in hindsight, people sometimes have regrets about their choice in marriage; I sure hope that Paogao hasn’t been disappointed and still has what he looked for when he made his decision. As someone who had also spent two years of his life in the army (well, sort of, it was ĵ

I saw Poagao’s book at FNAC and was flipping through it and had my mind set on buying it, but then I saw my ex – and I do mean ex – on the other side of the room and dropped the book and got the hell out of there. Sorry–I’ll try to get the book next time.

It’s ok, it’s not like I’m keeping a list of everyone who doesn’t buy the book…not yet, anyway. :smiling_imp:

Wow, you get the W&L alumni magazine? Did you go there?