Poagao's Book

Well, you can add me to your list. :wink:

Found it in the Taida Eslite last night and have already made it through the first two pages. Letā€™s see how far Iā€™ll get.

Iris

No, my close friend who showed me the article did, but then I did go there once for a walk-around. The W&L campus is very nice with lots of open space to spare, and a far cry from the one I actually went to, which is in the dead center of of inner-city Chicagoā€¦ :unamused:

Book alert: Mr Poagao sir: small minor book glitch. I went into local bookstore in Keelung today, and asked for your book. Just to see what theyā€™d say. The clerk girl took me up stairs and led me to an aisle of books and then pulled your book out of the shelf to show me.

I said: but how can people find out about this book if it isnt on the new book table downstairs. its a new book.

She said: sorry, sir, this is how we shelve books here.

How many copies to do you have, miss? i asked

She: just this one.

Me. thanks. i will come back later.

So just to report maybe you can tell your editors: at one bookstore, small one, your book was there, but in shelf, just spine showing. no photo or nothing. squished in with 1000 other books like that. a shame.

anyone else see book displayed this way. we should complain politely and ask clerks to put book on display table near door where NEW BOOKS are shown for the first month at least.

Well, it is on the shelf in FNAC and they have put some kind of promotional rack around it. Only one left last time I looked.

I think the rack means that I signed those copies (or copy, if thereā€™s only one left).

Sheā€™s a dumb assā€¦ but most Taiwanese reporters ask dumb questions anywayā€¦ for politically-correct politicians and popstarsā€¦

scchu

Poagao, I read the sample intro and got really hooked. I wish there was an English versionā€¦ :cry: ā€¦ Nonetheless, I will have to go to Chinese bookstores here in NYC hopefully to fish out a copy (and hopefully the price wonā€™t be hijacked to more than 2x :x)ā€¦

Reading your experience contributing to Taiwan makes you more Taiwanese than I am, and it puts me to shame. Excellent work and thank you for the sample chapter.

scchu

[quote=ā€œscchuā€]Poagao, I read the sample intro and got really hooked. I wish there was an English versionā€¦ :cry: ā€¦ Nonetheless, I will have to go to Chinese bookstores here in NYC hopefully to fish out a copy (and hopefully the price wonā€™t be hijacked to more than 2x :x)ā€¦

Reading your experience contributing to Taiwan makes you more Taiwanese than I am, and it puts me to shame. Excellent work and thank you for the sample chapter.

scchu[/quote]

hey Iā€™m in NYC tooā€¦ let me know if you find itā€¦ Iā€™m going back soonā€¦ so this should prepare me for ā€œITā€ā€¦ right? :unamused:

Hey, jasonlinā€¦ I paid a visit to Flushing today and no luck on finding the book. Where are you in NYC? I work in Brooklyn Heights and live in Cobble Hill (also in Brooklyn, about 10 min walk South of the Heights).

Why are you going back? Hey, take it easy on that other thread with this other guy (the guy that took Mengziā€™s quote out of context).

scchu

[quote=ā€œscchuā€]Hey, jasonlinā€¦ I paid a visit to Flushing today and no luck on finding the book. Where are you in NYC? I work in Brooklyn Heights and live in Cobble Hill (also in Brooklyn, about 10 min walk South of the Heights).

Why are you going back? Hey, take it easy on that other thread with this other guy (the guy that took Mengziā€™s quote out of context).[/quote]

Maybe it hasnā€™t made itā€™s way to NY yetā€¦ I think they have to unload in CA then go through panama canal before it reaches NY :slight_smile: I live in Flushing you couldā€™ve just asked me :slight_smile: hehe

Iā€™m going back to get my Taiwanese ID and I want to work in my home town (Tai-chung). Itā€™s a really nice place. close to the mountains, no water shortages, alot of cheap internet cafe (hehe), good food, not as crowded as NY or Taipeiā€¦ so much to do and so little time to do it :slight_smile: hhehe

But Iā€™m staying for another 2 years to get some work experience. why donā€™t you come back? we can work on Taiwan independence. :sunglasses:

Oh boyā€¦ you sure like to stir things up, donā€™t you? I still donā€™t know where I stand on that issue yet though. I can see valid points for all three arguements (independent for sure, reunion for sure, and keep it as it is). I have yet to be convinced on just one view. Anywayā€¦ weā€™ll need to start a new thread for this (and I am sure this has been talked about before?!) I donā€™t want to take away what this thread is about, Poagaoā€™s new book!!

I think you might be right. And it also depends on if whoever is distributing the book bothers to ship some over to overseas. Even if they do, people in L.A. will probably get to see it first.

scchu

oops pardon meā€¦ congrats Poagao

There are some bookstores even in Taipei who havenā€™t gotten it in stock yet. I went to the bookstore on the roundabout at Dunhua and Ren-ai, and they said it should be in stock in a few days. Thereā€™s also a review coming out in a literary journal today, so that might spur sales a bit. Not that I would know, as Locus doesnā€™t seem to know anything about sales numbers.

Wow I have a signed copy of your book!

An excellent read so far.

Yeah, I go around signing copies sometimes for fun, if the store will let me. So far the only store that hasnā€™t let me is the big Eslite on Dunhua. They said signings should be reserved for signing activities.

Weird policy - FNAC put that signed copy thing up in order to make people aware of the chance to get a signed copy of ā€œcounting mantouā€, whereas Eslite donā€™t want to improve their sales.

Hope to hear news of the sales soon.

Poagao, my friend in the distribution center in Keelung told me this: you and your publishers wont know sales figures until at least 6 months into this thing, maybe longer. First, the publisher ships out say 2000 copies of yr book to bookstores islandwide. Then the sales start. Then many will get returned to the publisher. Some will stay on shelves for a year or more, but wont be recorded as sales until someone buys it. usually bookstores have 30 days to keep books for free and pay no tax on them, and if they do not sell in first month, they ship them back to publisher. so you might not know sales for a long time. in the meantime, get an English edition out. weā€™d love that!

Can you put out an edition with Zhuyin down the side? I donā€™t think Iā€™m ready for characters only yet. Or maybe you could make it into a textbook with difficult vocabuilary explained at the start of each chapter. :wink:

Brian

Ditto. And THAT will indeed put even more Taiwanese-wanna-be foreign-grown Taiwanese to shame (that includes me :frowning:)ā€¦ HAH!

scchu

Hey hereā€™s an ideaā€¦ wasnā€™t it Stephen King who put a book on the 'net for free and then people paid in ā€˜tipsā€™ā€¦ or something like that. If I remember correctly, it was kind of like what the guy at selfpromotion.com is doing.

Hereā€™s an article of his:

Iā€™d love to read this in Englishā€¦ it sounds fascinating.

My poor husband is Taiwanese but heā€™s useless when I ask him questions about language, culture, festivals, etc.