Police in Taiwan

I took a look at the link to the news item. Interesting how the clip has been cut once footage of him taken by (presumably) a policeman from behind the counter begins.
It looked to be footage of the incident beginning, but I may be wrong.

Wow Mordeth…ya know how to throw the old gasoline on the BBQ,

I saw (swear on a stack of motorcycle service manuals)–a cop rear end a van on the intersection of Sung Ren and Hsing I about 6 months ago…

I was looking at the driver of the van because he had an infant in his arms between him and the steering wheel and was thinking “Wow what a stupid thing to do…” BAM!..Squad car with lights on and everything smashes the van

AND THEN PROCEDES TO LEAVE THE SCENE OF THE ACCIDENT AT FULL SPEED…

He drove past the police station and screeched to a halt like he …or as I figured later -his co-pilot pulled the parking break…and stopped with smoking tires in the middle of the street. The van driver chased him down,
I didn’t stay around for the aftermath, can you F-ing imagine -even the cops hit and run…it’s a natural reaction for local drivers sometimes.

As for that bucket of shit cop in the States–well like one cop commented to me in Pennsylvania one time when I mentioned that I rode motorcycles…“So who do you ride with the Pagans or the Warlocks?”

Crazy Bubba 2 Guns, I love this thread.

Any of you guys check out this very informative video on drugs and gun saftey?

malgusto.com/videosonline/pl … e=video547

Check it out…The cop is talking to adults and he says “If you see drugs run away…” Not the brightest guy…oh and there is one other little surprise in the video.

Hey You guys in terms of traffic violations, MOST of the police are NOT corrupt. They are lazy and don’t give a shit. Not corrupt. Many are corrupt, but the vast majority just don’t care. It is not like they will get a raise if they do their job right. You know the police are actually afraid of gangsters and politicians here. One call from a KMT legislature to Mayor Ma about that bastard cop that was actually doing his job and stopped his driver from running a red light and that cop will be out of work.

Why risk your job or even your life if you piss off some gangster.

You know the police do not have much power as a legacy of the Martial Law Era when the military had all of the power. They need to do something, but I don’t know what. It is about the culture here. Any ideas on how to make changes?

The police should be taken away from day the county and city governments and placed solely under the central government, and only be answerable to them.

Then an anti-corruption taksforce with some actual powers and result-based salary should be established.

Another good move was to increase training of police officers, so they knew that they were supposed to enforce the law.

A few more things adding to the efficiency would also help, I guess.

[quote=“Mr He”]The police should be taken away from day the county and city governments and placed solely under the central government, and only be answerable to them.

Then an anti-corruption taksforce with some actual powers and result-based salary should be established.

Another good move was to increase training of police officers, so they knew that they were supposed to enforce the law.

A few more things adding to the efficiency would also help, I guess.[/quote]

These are some great ideas Mr. He. With the central government controlling it, the police training could be standardized and it would provide for individuals to be promoted to regional and central levels of power. More room for advancement.

I spoke to a Police Officer abut training. Apparently they spend 5 years in total training.

I spoke to a Police Officer abut training. Apparently they spend 5 years in total training.[/quote] Are you talking about Foreign Affairs Police or regular cops? That sounds like foreign affairs police that do your Visa and check on the foreigners in Taiwan, etc.

I am amazed that Taiwan simultaneously has a relatively low crime rate and utterly crap police. How do they do it?

Asked and answered I think. Crimes have to be reported in order to affect the numbers. People just figure its not worth reporting cuz the response is crap. The only crime commited against me was having a very nice bike stolen. Did I report it? Not a chance.

Even though the police here are generally smaller, skinnier, nerdier, less hairier, more hygienically-challenged, ruder, uglier, and girlier, I still find them strangely erotic. But it’s the uniform thing. Any person in an authorative uniform is grrr…that goes for the construction worker uniform too. Dirty steel toed boots, ripped jeans, shirtless, hard hat…arghhh arghhh

Sorry, as you were…

Knock yourself out.

You read my mind, Sandman…I was thinking of these guys when I typed that last post. I figured it’d be you, MJB, The Gumper, or truant who’d post something in response so quickly.

Should have bought my old police uniform to Taiwan, along with my pointy helmet.

damn, that didn’t come out right.

Prolly cuz it’s too pointy.

this from the taipei times, about the difficulty of busting drug users at 2005 spring scream:

what did they honestly expect? it’s a party … “no moving! sit still!” … sigh

If they want to bust people with drugs…tell them to go to any night club that’s open at 5 in the morning…there will be people popping pills and snorting off of tables in plain view. Or they could just go bust some kids on the beach who aren’t doing anyone any harm.

[quote=“Dangermouse”]Should have bought my old police uniform to Taiwan, along with my pointy helmet.[/quote]Does your head go all the way to the top ?

Did you have to give your panda back ?

[quote]Does your head go all the way to the top ?

Did you have to give your panda back ?[/quote]

A: Yes.

B: It was a jam sandwich.

I found this video. It’s a police check stop in Brazil. They extort money out of random drivers that they stop. And they use violence to get what they want. Video is a little graphic.

ogrish.com/archives/brazilia … _2005.html