Police knocked at the door of my hotel room and wanted to see my passport

I think it is more possible that the hotel reported it to the police, which is mandatory in PRC, iirc.

According to 大法官會議第535號解釋文釋憲, it seems it is illegal that the police checks you without any valid reason, and in that case, you can refuse it.

1 Like

There’s huge number of people from different country that are hiding on tourist visa then not intending to return back home. So police are checking possible or tentative places to search.

Police are combing those places and catch overstayed workers, overdue visa, overdue passport and so much more.

the police already checked your ID, and found you are clean, regardless whether it was a pinpoint check. There is nothing you need to worry now.

Unless they went to get backup.

1 Like

They could be doing that little old routine where they lull you into a false sense of security, you relax, then a little time later, when you are least expecting it, they pop out from behind a lamppost and take you away?

2 Likes

I believe that’s true in your property, does it expand to a hotel room?

They wanted to check you were not giving it to one of their wives , that’s all no biggie (biggie not referring to your manhood)

it is on 臨檢 (於公共場所或指定處所、路段,由服勤人員擔任臨場檢查或路檢,執行取締、盤查及有關法令賦予之勤務). I think a hotel room may be included.

FFS, it was a random check and the last thing in the world the cops wanted to see was a whitey (assuming OP is). They went through the motions and were relieved nothing was amiss. Paperwork, old chap.

It appears to be a little more complicated than that.

2 Likes

Guys, there are a lot of ehem, part time summer vacation high school and college female -and male I guess- workers in the oldest trade. Lots of drug parties in hotels in summer. So a single, practically local guy staying alone at a hotel may arise suspicious of 1. not being alone 2. being alone for illegal activities or other grey purposes 3. being alone to meet his Maker.

So yes, checking up on him was not unusual. Especially as he was not a whitey. And if the hotel was one with hourly rates.

Next time get a more touristy one.

3 Likes

I’m feeling a bit stimulated and it’s not even noon.

First of all, China is China, Taiwan is Taiwan, both are very different from each other. Most importantly, China is rule by law, Taiwan is rule of law.

China has an authoritarian, police state that controls its own citizens movements -cannot travel within provinces without proper authorization- and monitors their thoughts and actions. However, if I am not mistaken, the “hotel for foreigners” business has been over for like a decade in big cities. Moreover, as stated before, the vigilant eyes of the community party committee are more focused on their own people. For foreigners, they have high tech like implanted chips/hidden programs in their cellphones, cameras, etc. So saying or not his address out loud, they would be following him anyhow and know where he is, if they wanted to.

That is not the case in Taiwan, as the police here are busy with traffic accidents, amahs lost in the mountains, wandering children, neighbor disputes, stolen vegetables from farmer´s patches and assorted petty crime. Oh and drunken furriners.

2 Likes

Well, 20k an hour beats 120 ntd an hour in ta gong.

I’ve never heard of cops coming to a hotel room door in Taiwan. It happens in frequently in China, but that’s to be expected: they’re communists.

1 Like

As said, hotels and ktvs and other venues will have cop visits in summer or at certain times due to illicit activities reported in the area or danger to someone´s life. It was on the news recently.

Legally it is, and legally that’s settled.

Getting back on topic, Ike is right – police take interest in what goes on in hotels because many illegal things go on in hotels.

Is there anywhere in the world where it’s not mandatory for a hotel to check a foreigner’s ID and send the information to the police, in this day and age?