Policing in America

Some police chases have gone silent.

Basically the police make note of the license plate and description, have a chopper (or unmarked car) discreetly follow the guy. Then when the guy thinks the heat is off and everything is fine, they move in. Less chance of casualty, everyone goes home, the perp goes to jail without incident.

The news reports I’ve seen (tv, not articles) – even PBS who used to be more neutral – mention only that he was unarmed, black, had no criminal record, worked at DoorDash, etc, and just try to carry on the usual narrative.

2 Likes

tv news, by it’s nature, is only going to give snippets of info at a time, soooo, eh.

edit: just looked it up - according to pej (via pewresearch.org article), the average median local news segment is 41s, and the average network news segment is 2min 23s… they’re not going to cover all the background everytime they talk about the story.
edit 2: reputable tv news is good for getting headlines and human interest stories. bad tv news and talking heads aren’t good for shit, other than entertainment.

lol at stats on news segment length. I know what I saw and whether there was time to put in relevant facts vs irrelevant ones. It was not a short segment at all. All American tv news is biased narrative-pushing crap that cherry-picks what to reveal about the stories they cover.

PBS is better than CNN, Fox, etc, but still has obvious bias.

2 Likes

When those details are mentioned at all, they are buried. The headlines have been “unarmed black man”. It’s fairly ridiculous.

2 Likes

Ah, parenting. It’s all about respect.

1 Like

That kid’s either going to live a short, violent life or become CEO of a major corporation.

2 Likes

I doubt that’s fun.

Money quote:

The suspect – later identified as 30-year-old Trennon Smith from Veneta, Oregon – was untied from the tree and taken to Three Rivers Hospital in Grants Pass to be treated for injuries he reportedly suffered from a fall he took sometime during the incident.

:whistle:

Dick.

Illinois keeps getting shittier and shittier:

Not even bail to put a speed-bump into criminals’ jobs:

The so-called SAFE-T Act would end cash bail and includes 12 non-detainable offences, second-degree murder, aggravated battery and arson without bail, as well as drug-induced homicide, kidnapping, burglary, robbery, intimidation, aggravated DUI, aggravated fleeing and eluding, drug offences and threatening a public official.

All these crimes will become non-detainable offences after the act takes effect on January 1, meaning criminals will be charged with and released for these crimes without bail.

Glasgow said he won’t be able to hold anyone in jail for longer than 90 days if they demand a trial, and after the 90th day, they’ll get out “no matter what crime they committed.”

Well, they won’t have been convicted of committing a crime. Better get the courts straightened out.

Maybe they will be like Taiwan soon. Kill at will as long as you’re high.

Wow.

4 Likes

I used to respect that guy.

I wonder if he actually came to his senses or just took a look at the political windsock.

Really? :thinking:

I think so. Twice, that is.

1 Like

Like a looooooong time ago.