Polite people in Taiwan?

Where does the rumor come from that most people are friendly here in Taiwan? All the strangers I encounter are always short with me, stare without smiling, don’t hold elevators even when they see me coming, and in general just seem really fake. I don’t know how to describe it like they will act nice to your face then as soon as you leave will talk about you behind your back.

Just having a bad day I guess…

5 Likes

My experience is of generally very friendly people. However, I’m a limey so my main comparison is Brits.

5 Likes

I just don’t think Taiwanese are polite that way. They are polite as in they don’t get into fights with you but that’s mainly the white collar types. The blue collar types are quite blunt.

5 Likes

You in the city? Taipei residents can be on the grumpier side.

Are you looking like a bum? People tend to treat you better if you’re looking good.

3 Likes

Or if you’re three times their size.

2 Likes

When I see a foreigner of particularly impressive mass I always wonder if it’s rooftopclown.

6 Likes

this before or after you give the guy the middle finger?

3 Likes

It is noted every time I go into Taipei. Probably true of most capital cities.

1 Like

hmmm maybe I should shave…

I’m definitely grumpier here when I’ve gone without a little vacation away for too long. But it mostly just depends on how many slow walkers I find myself stuck behind on a given day.

Maybe it’s you.

4 Likes

Slow walkers irritate you? Wrong country to be in.

1 Like

It’s kind of a shitty truth. People treat you better if you look good. Some of it is genetic, I have friends that are so stupid. I mean so fucking stupid and irresponsible they always get into stupid trouble and fuck up. But no one ever holds them responsible and they are always given another chance because they are extremely good looking. But dressing presentable and not looking like a homeless person helps a lot to. If you dress like a CEO, people treat you like one.

1 Like

Taiwanese are hospitable. They are not friendly. There is a difference.

4 Likes

It would be quite a subtle difference.

ergh

clowns are racist now haven’t you heard. Do keep up

Friendly and laid back in the South.

Every one looks like a bum, cheap poorly made Taiwanese clothing is the norm looks 10 years old after 2 washes.

1 Like