Political violence in Taiwan

We all know about Wu Shu-chen. I can think of two more horrifc examples:

The Taoyuan massacre (199_?) where the county magistrate and eight others (mostly domestic servants and aides) were “executed” in his home. They were all shot in the head, gangland style. All signs pointed to a mafia dispute.

And, the brutal bloodbath at Lin Yi-hsiung’s (former DPP chairman) home on 2-28 1980. His twin daughters and his mother were killed; another daughter was seriously wounded but miraculously survived. When this happened Lin had just been arrested for dissident activity; his wife was at the court hearing. Of course, this case was never solved.

I snagged this article off Flicka’s blog.

[quote]In the early morning of July 3, 1982, Carnegie Mellon University professor Chen Wen-cheng was found dead at the foot of a tower at National Taiwan University. He had apparently fallen from a great height.

Professor Chen’s death was suspicious because the night before his death he was in the custody of the Taiwan garrison command. A noted Pennsylvania state criminal forensic pathologist pronounced the death “probable homicide” after a laborious review of the autopsy.

Finally, on Sept. 14, 1984, Taiwan’s spymaster in Washington, Adm. Wang Hsi-ling arranged the assassination of Chinese-American writer Henry Liu, who had penned an unflattering biography of Taiwan’s President Chiang Ching-kuo. By Oct. 20, two Taiwan gangsters had murdered Liu in his garage in Daly City, on the outskirts of San Francisco.

When the FBI presented U.S. President Reagan with a tape recording of Adm. Wang’s orders to the assassins for Liu’s murder, Reagan demanded Adm. Wang’s arrest, trial and conviction. Otherwise, Reagan would abide by the so-called “Solarz Amendment” and cease all arms sales to Taiwan. Wang was convicted in a Taiwan court and got a life sentence.[/quote]

heritage.org/Press/Commentary/ed072401a.cfm

[quote=“Alien”]I snagged this article off Flicka’s blog.

[quote]In the early morning of July 3, 1982, Carnegie Mellon University professor Chen Wen-cheng was found dead at the foot of a tower at National Taiwan University. He had apparently fallen from a great height.

Professor Chen’s death was suspicious because the night before his death he was in the custody of the Taiwan garrison command. A noted Pennsylvania state criminal forensic pathologist pronounced the death “probable homicide” after a laborious review of the autopsy.

Finally, on Sept. 14, 1984, Taiwan’s spymaster in Washington, Adm. Wang Hsi-ling arranged the assassination of Chinese-American writer Henry Liu, who had penned an unflattering biography of Taiwan’s President Chiang Ching-kuo. By Oct. 20, two Taiwan gangsters had murdered Liu in his garage in Daly City, on the outskirts of San Francisco.

When the FBI presented U.S. President Reagan with a tape recording of Adm. Wang’s orders to the assassins for Liu’s murder, Reagan demanded Adm. Wang’s arrest, trial and conviction. Otherwise, Reagan would abide by the so-called “Solarz Amendment” and cease all arms sales to Taiwan. Wang was convicted in a Taiwan court and got a life sentence.[/quote]

heritage.org/Press/Commentary/ed072401a.cfm[/quote]

And this marked the beginning of the end for the Chiang regime. Thanks you Ronald Reagan.

(Wang spent only a few years in prison…when he was released, he was treated as a big hero.)

I’m ashamed I’ve forgotten the woman’s name. She was a DPP head of the women’s caucus (I think). Brutally raped and murdered and the suspects never found. Female DPP members set up a foundation to fight violence against women in her name. There was always a hint of political shenanigans in her murder. Like the murder of Lin Yi-hsiong’s family, it was seen as too over the top for the KMT.

As an aside I had the very distinct pleasure of running into Lin Yi-hsiong the day after Chen won four years ago. I summoned my courage and offered my hand to congratulate him saying that I knew just how important this day must be. The smile that lit up his face almost had me in tears.

HG

Peng Wan-ru (???).

Edit: Why doesn’t the Chinese come out?

彭婉如

You probably had your encoding set to UTF-8 when you posted.

彭婉如

I always get her confused with Chen Wanzhen, another DPP official. Don’t remember exactly, but I think Chen was bumped off during a trip in China?

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Brutally raped and murdered and the suspects never found. Female DPP members set up a foundation to fight violence against women in her name. There was always a hint of political shenanigans in her murder.
HG[/quote]

From what I understand, it was a cabbie who murdered raped her late at night, just an ugly homicide, no politics. Where did you hear this?

Hard to say who did it, as they never caught anyone.

What happened to admiral Wang Xiling? Is he still around?

About nine years ago a DPP politician was stabbed in Gaoxiong (or was it Tainan?). I was surprised at the time that the media and people in general took almost no interest in the incident. There was another political assassination or attempted assassination in Jilong, I recall. Then there was the mayor or councillor, whatever, from Xizhi, who was found locked in a dog cage. He said gansters did it.

Drive-by shootings occur at every election - I mean just shooting out windows etc. It could be political rivals or gangsters trying to intimidate candidates, or it could just be the candidates trying to get attention and sympathy.

Pang Wan-ru 彭婉如 it was indeed. I thought it was political but there’s doubt apparently.

Wasn’t there also a big hit on Taoyuan(?) councillors a few years ago?
It seemed gang related - building industry/cement.

HG

The Liu Bang You murder was mentioned earlier in this thread, and it was a gangland killing, after all Taoyuan is not called the gangster capital of Taiwan for no reason.

The murderers killed nearly everybody in the house and no, they were never caught.

It happened in 1996.

Gangster related and building industry are good guesses.

Cheers Mr He.

Age, failing memory. Can’t seem to keep the names of the dead in my head any longer.

HG

Wang Kang-lu in 1992. Chen Nan-jung, 1989.

Everyone notice how these are all KMT institgated murders?

[quote=“Alien”]I snagged this article off Flicka’s blog.

heritage.org/Press/Commentary/ed072401a.cfm[/quote]

Did the gangsters who killed Liu get prosecuted? I imagine Daly City police (do they have their own PD, or just sheriffs?) would have arrested them, if they knew who they were?