Poll: Are we (people) animals?

Simple yes no, no need to share your reasoning if you don’t want to.

Do you consider us animals? Yes or no. These is no inbetween or other option requiring further thought :slight_smile:

Are we animals (noun)?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Depends on which definition for animal you want to apply.

something that lives and moves but is not a human, bird, fish, or insect: :x:

anything that lives and moves, including people, birds, etc.: :white_check_mark:

an unpleasant, cruel person or someone who behaves badly: :white_check_mark:

6 Likes

I’d say yes, but I also find it to be a fairly meaningless semantic question. Biologically/scientifically/taxonomically, absolutely yes. But if people want to consider animals and humans as fundamentally different, without reason, then (circularly) no.

6 Likes

The definition of animal is: Literally an animal.

There can be only one haha.

I dont mean as an insult or any such other non literal definitions.

Edit. Assume a following poll is to ask you if you are a plant, a virus etc.

2 Likes

Or if we used to be a plant?

1 Like

If people are not animals, what we are?

5 Likes

Not to be a grammar nazi, but…Are we type questions imply present tense :slight_smile:

2347129-William-Shakespeare-Quote-To-be-or-not-to-be-that-is-the-question

1 Like

Ps. Cambridge clearly has lost a lot of resepct if this sort of insanely stupid definition exists HAHAHA. Oh man, thats horrible!

Shark, animal. Whale, not.

Bird, animal. Bat, not

Cockroach, animal. Spider, not.

Plants, mushrooms, viruses, bacteria etc all animals.

I never knew such a definition actually existed. Intriguing. This totally distracted me.

3 Likes

Yes. My brother is proof. Case in point.

Kidding

But yes, we are classified as in the Animal Kingdom.

2 Likes

I don’t think anyone is going to accuse you of being a grammar nazi. :nerd_face:

I was referring to your username: explant, as in “a former plant”.

3 Likes

You inverted the definition for most of those…

1 Like

“a living organism that feeds on organic matter, typically having specialized sense organs and nervous system and able to respond rapidly to stimuli.”

I’d say it’s highly debatable :laughing:

1 Like

I remember in school we had a debate in class where an alien captures a car and was debating whether or not a car was considered a living being… As a car takes in fuel and burns them and then moves, etc.

Well a car can’t make itself but give a few decades and that might change.

Then we’ll have the plot of Horizon Zero Dawn.

1 Like

Exactly haha! I am fully aware of the irony hehe :slight_smile: but to answer the question, are we currently animals. Not were we a billion years ago.

My username is an intentionally vague thing that relates to either, or a hybrid of, ex plants (evolution), expat (transplanting of regional groups of people) and explant (in the tissue culture sense) making fun of my foreigness in regards to a tissue culture scenario :slight_smile: however, this isnt related to the poll.

3 Likes

As part of the kingdom Animalia, members of the species Homo sapiens are animals.

What is an animal? Animals are eukaryotic, multicellular, heterotrophic organisms whose cells have no cell walls, who are motile in at least some stage of development, and at the earliest stages of embryonic development the cells form a blastula.

2 Likes

I’d say yes, we are animals.

But also different because we are capable of advanced thought/morals etc much more than the average animal

Does an incredibly mentally retarded psychopath therefor not fit into our species?

Not sure thoughts and morals define an animal, even if we could somehow test the theory in other species. Thus far we cant.

1 Like

Well I meant in the literal definition of an animal then for sure we are.

But I would say ‘animal’ is quite a broad term, and if you were to examine it more closely you would see humans are definitely worlds apart from the regular critter. We just happen to share the same planet

If you ask Siri he gives an interesting response

To be specific, we are mammals.

2 Likes