You know this poll is about what peoples thoughts arebefore moving here right? There is no misinformation conspiracy lol. Not sure why you hoose to read things that way, but ts not what people are writing or intending. many people do in fact have assumptions about the place before they arrive there. Then they live there and experience stuff and said opinions are more grounded. Some change, some are cemented.
however, crime is extremely common. I have met maybe a handful of bussinesses that are legit and legal. Like one hand level handful. Crime doesnt mean ganfsters and murder. Tax fraud, illegaly mnaufacture etc are everywhere, as a couple examples.Yes, it is common. And that surprised me because when i came here i wasnt assuming that end of crime and how prevalent it actually is. As many others also note. Though i envy you and your circles not seeing said crime. Its motivating to know there are people to do business with that arent commiting crime
Aside from pollution, drug use/manufacture and crime, do you also think other common isses dont exist? Not being a douche bag, literally honestly very curious how you come to such conclusions. I have never met a person with such strong convictions these things dont exist. I am genuinely wanting to learn more, maybe i can start to see things through such optimistic lenses as well but it is hard to unsee things in front of my eyes and ears on nearly a daily basis.
That’s not what people think about when we’re talking about crime in a geographical place. When people talk about crime being high or low, they are talking about the personal risk to their safety as a result of crime. Tax fraud doesn’t put a knife into my chest. They almost exclusively refer to violent crime.
I didn’t say there was a conspiracy. I just find it weird that you keep implying organised crime (and drug use) was particularly serious here when it isn’t.
Organised crime refers to gangs most of the time.
I never claimed they didn’t exist. Again, what I mean is you keep implying that gangs are in every corner here when they aren’t. At least not more than elsewhere.
I differentiated that with street crime and organized crime
We may need to agree to disagree, but food scandals, corrupt police and government officials and whatever the fuck formosa plastics does daily is literally an attack on our safety and health. I view that as actual crime, as does the law. It gets counted in the tally, and that is what i was shocked about after living here. Sorry @gain if that wasnt clear before. But surely my point is clarified now?
Not really sure why there is a winky face. Is it a joke?
I understand that they are crimes, but the poll is about worry ing about crime and safety. Why do I need to be worried about someone else’s tax fraud? And organised crime is small, like it is in Canada.
I worry about meth heads in detroit stabbing me for not giving them pocket change more than I worry that the breakfast shop is underreporting their revenue.
To clarify i was not saying gangs, never used that word . Organized crime. Crime on the government and buisness level is rampant here. and it is adanger to.society due to health isses and security isses . Far worse than,pick pockets in my opinion.
I see the confusion now you guys thought i was saying gangster.
That’s not what people mean when they say ‘crime is high’. When people talk about high amounts of crime, they talk about violent crimes that are a direct risk to their health and safety.
Ya, like street crime . That was my original point. So to reword it: That kind of crime (as you descibed) i expected before i came here to be higher. It is very good here.
The other side of crime (organized) i expected to be less. But it is actually very high here. Not sure how else to word it. But crime on the organized high level, big money, political environmnetal etc side of things is rampant. I was not expecting that before moving here.
It is all crime by the way. And far more damaging in general i feel. We have a president jailed for such crimes as well…
I don’t think so. We have organised crime in Canada too. Triads and CCP Agents in Vancouver while Italian Mafiosi in Ontario. In Taiwan, I can do whatever I like, just like in Ontario and BC. Southern Italy, it remains that you have to pay protection money for your business. It is very much part of your life and visible.
This is what rampant looks like. A judge prosecuting a boss was killed when they blew up a highway bridge. This doesn’t happen in Taiwan. The gangs here, like Canada, keep to themselves.
If you think it’s rampant here, you should not go to France, because Taiwan’s less corrupt than France.
Mafiosi approach potential clients in an aggressive but friendly manner, like a door-to-door salesman.[178] They may even offer a few free favors as enticement. If a client rejects their overtures, mafiosi sometimes coerce them by vandalizing their property or other forms of harassment. Physical assault is rare; clients may be murdered for breaching agreements or talking to the police, but not for simply refusing protection.[179]
In many situations, mafia bosses prefer to establish an indefinite long-term bond with a client, rather than make one-off contracts. The boss can then publicly declare the client to be under his permanent protection (his “friend”, in Sicilian parlance). This leaves little public confusion as to who is and isn’t protected, so thieves and other predators will be deterred from attacking a protected client and prey only on the unprotected.[180]
Mafiosi generally do not involve themselves in the management of the businesses they protect or arbitrate. Lack of competence is a common reason, but mostly it is to divest themselves of any interests that may conflict with their roles as protectors and arbitrators. This makes them more trusted by their clients, who need not fear their businesses being taken over.
Crime has different types and severity. If you lump it in together then it makes it difficult to see the big picture.