POLL: Do you like Taiwanese food? Please vote!

So what you’re saying is that you don’t much like Taiwanese food either? It’s not too late to change your vote, you know. Maybe you should sleep on it. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Taiwanese food sucks in the sense that it’s inedible if it’s done bad and it’s very easy to be done bad. “Good” cuisines or foods are almost universally good, for example you could to try and make a horrible pizza and you will still fail but bad stinky toufu or gua bao are as tasty as old socks.

3 Likes

But you can get horrible pizza too.

Especially in Taiwan.

1 Like

I like some of it. Some not so much.

When I see the debate about Taiwanese food, it always reminds me of this.

1 Like

Go on. Just do it. Click that “unfavorable” button. You know you want to. :smiling_imp:

Nobody will judge you. The survey is anonymous, so nobody will even know. You’re in a safe space here. Just be honest. Let’s not make it political. We’re all just interested in the truth.

1 Like

Who said he didn’t?

I didn’t.

I like Taiwanese food and majority of my foreign friends do as well. Find these threads a bit bemusing

4 Likes

I get really pumped and excited for any visit to a Taiwanese banquet. No matter if it’s a wedding or other event, I’m always excited to join.

There, in my experience, is a whole lot of meat, seafood, interesting vegetables, and much more.
I can’t dictate the standards of other users as to the quality of the ingredients or dishes themselves, but I have never been left hungry or never been disappointed with a buffet in taiwan. And that includes weddings and other auspicious occasions. Does that make me sound like a glutton? I’ll let you decide on that.

3 Likes

I think it’s a generational thing.

I like it but I like more when i cooked my self.

Really depends on peoples’ background.

You could be from Flin Flon in Canuckistan and think Taiwan food is a lot better than Tim Hortons and Walmat processed food. OR you could have brought up in the gastronomy of Lyon, France, and think Taiwan food is rancid, oily crap that is over-promoted.

4 Likes

Living in a different country from the cuisine you were brought up with will almost always make be more critical long term.

Even while living in Italy, arguably the most popular cuisine in the world, I often found it quite boring after a while. Italy has such a strong food culture it’s very difficult to find anything other than Italian food that’s good.

And tbh, if you eat out in Italy you will eat crap Italian food. You really need to know where to eat. We are so picky about which restaurants in Italy are actually worth it. But Italy has good supermarkets where you can good quality stuff to cool with.

In Europe, I often miss soup the Asian way. Don’t get me wrong, I like a creamy soup and I like soups in general. But for me, I love a water based soup to drink.

4 Likes

Agree…but glad my wife can make the medicine soups, as well as clear broths (frog legs, green onions and clear broth…yum)…In Europe, I also miss American soups such as a good clam chowder.

2 Likes

I used to complain about American food a lot when I moved to the US. But I’ve come to miss many types of regional foods such as a good New England clam chowder.

I think Taiwans main issue is the lack of quality food in the super markets. You also need to hit up local wet markets to get some of the fresh meats and seafood for example. Not many foreigners I assume do that. Even with Taiwans eating out culture, I would hate Taiwanese food all the time eating out. There’s a lot of shit restaurants, it’s not always easy to tell if a place is good if you’re not local.

I’m very fortunate to have experienced Italy the old way. We live in the country side. Have our own chickens for eggs, grow a lot of herbs and vegetables, access to good meats (not seafood though where I stay). We cook and eat the old fashion way and only find restaurants that are worth it. I would even dare say I know have better tastes for Italian food than the average Italian person as a lot of the food quality has gone down.

1 Like

This was my last meal in Taiwan before leaving again in January. The fish was delicious and fresh and the crab with the noodles was awesome.

This was my last meal home made in Italy before I left to go back to the UK a few weeks ago. Everything was fresh and we sourced some truffle from a truffle dealer. The gnocchi was great with all that fresh truffle.

5 Likes

This is my wife’s Taiwan fusion cooking. I like her cooking but Taiwan to the international and refined palate? I would put French, Thai, Yunnan, Italian, Japanese etc. far above it.

5 Likes

Bad in comparison to other pizzas yes but I still think prefer it to any bad or even slightly bad Taiwanese food.

I’m really surprised at how many “unfavourable” votes there are. I mean, what are you people doing in Taiwan if that’s how you feel? :thinking: