Poll: Is seafood meat?

Very simple. Just for curiosity purposes.

Is seafood meat? Fish, shrimp, crab, clams etc.

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

I am surprised anyone said no, but 50%? :grimacing:

If I said I want meat and see fish, that means war!!!

2 Likes

Some people are pescatarians. That means they don’t eat chicken, pork, beef, etc, but will eat fish and seafood. Catholics don’t eat meat on Friday’s in Lent, but fish is OK

1 Like

But … it’s not a simple question. It depends on the definition. By some definitions, yes. By some definitions (the Catholic one), no. By older definitions all food is meat.

I dunno, it’s a bit like asking “Is London a city in Canada, or a city in the United Kingdom?” You’re basically asking for votes on which dictionary definitions are wrong.

5 Likes

Surf & turf!

You actually say, crab meat or fish meat, what else can you call it. But it’s not meat meat.

i don’t even consider it food, unless you’re a sea

1 Like

Are insects meat? Some cultures eat them, and they’re also living things. I’ve never heard anyone refer to fish or shellfish as “meat.”

As expected, 3/4 of them say yes

1 Like

I call shrimp sea-cockroaches

3 Likes

The question needs more context, but then would probably be less interesting. If someone says they don’t eat meat, most of the time they would include seafood in the things they do not eat, but if someone says they want meat for dinner, most of the time they would not include seafood in the things they wish to eat.

3 Likes

This year the mussel meat is extremely high in weight compared to the total mussel weight.

Shellfish is often referred to as meat.

I hear celebrity chefs on the TV referring to all meat and fish as protein nowadays.

2 Likes

Meh. Call me old fashioned but I remember when seafood was allowed during Lent and other non-meat holidays. Ultimately this is a matter of semantics.

2 Likes

tofu and eggs are also good sources of protein

2 Likes

Indeed they are. And nuts.

We’re dangerously close to philosophy now. And I refuse to do that on Sundays.

2 Likes

also meat:

4 Likes

My hilarious post was flagged and removed prematurely IMO. At least put it in temp. Some posts fall on stony ground.

I assume that’s why they talk about the protein. Basically it’s assumed the dish is going to have some kind of protein, maybe meat, maybe not; “protein” has become the generic term that “meat” used to be, in order to open up to more vegetarian options.

2 Likes